English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 23 October 2007, 09:35   #1
Duel

Need bigger formatted disk for Test Drive 2 playdisk

Hello folks is there way to create an empty ADF disk that is at least 6 megs? I'm playing Test Drive 2 and I want to put all the add-on cars & sceneries to one playdisk and the most that I can create in WinUAE is 2 megs in which I get a "disk full" error upon copying the add-on cars & sceneries.
I also tried creating a hardfile for this playdisk under the Hard Disks section of WinUAE & assigned it as DH0. Workbench is able to see it & succesfully formatted it but when I load the Test Drive game and assigned the playdisk to the DH0 it cannot find it. I don't think I necessarily have to boot from the hardfile, I just need a way of getting the in-game to detect DH0 and make so it can make play disk. Any help appreciated.
Old 23 October 2007, 09:42   #2
Graham Humphrey

Hi and welcome to EAB

Have you tried the WHDLoad install? That could well fix your problems.
Old 23 October 2007, 09:49   #3
YoJoe!
Amiga Enthusiast

A .adf simulates a floppy disk.

You need to forget about floppies and use a hard disk like the Amiga was designed for.

If you install the game to hard drive, or at least install that "extra tracks and cars stuff" to your hard drive then you will be ok.
Old 25 October 2007, 03:30   #4
Duel

Thanks for the suggestion guys. However this game is hard headed for always wanting to boot from a floppy. I don't think I can install all of it even if I know how to the WHD thing. Even in its time back in 89' the only install option whether PC or Amiga is to create the playdisk to be installed in the hard drive, not the whole program (The playdisk is similar to save game file but is actually a custom add-on disk you create from adding optioinal cars & tracks disks). The main program or master disk as they call it always have to boot from a floppy. Also the creation of the playdisk which installs the additional cars & tracks is done within the game, not in DOS or should I say Workbench or Amiga DOS. This being said, my real problem is how do I make the game recognize there's a hard drive whether a virtual drive or a hard file because in the game you assign drives DF0, DF2, etc. to create and put the playdisk. If I assign DH0 for the playdisk it doesn't see it even if I have already created a hard file in WinUAE.

Better yet if anyone is bored anough to try that game and maybe you can understand what I mean better. It's a cool racing game anyways. download the main file, the supercars and muscle car add-ons and the California and European Challenge add-on roads.
Old 25 October 2007, 10:02   #5
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duel View Post
I don't think I can install all of it even if I know how to the WHD thing
Oh I wouldn't be so sure

I've uploaded the WHDLoad-installed Test Drive 2 and data disks to the Zone. All you need to do is download the WHDLoad program, and put together a basic hard drive setup (or use ClassicWB perhaps). Hope this is okay
Old 28 October 2007, 06:43   #6
Duel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Oh I wouldn't be so sure

I've uploaded the WHDLoad-installed Test Drive 2 and data disks to the Zone. All you need to do is download the WHDLoad program, and put together a basic hard drive setup (or use ClassicWB perhaps). Hope this is okay
Thanks Sir Graham I'll try that. Did you try the game & were you able to make the play disk and copy all car disks & sceneries?
Old 28 October 2007, 10:55   #7
Graham Humphrey

To be honest I've never actually played it properly, but I've tried it briefly and the actual game works fine. I thought all the data disks and stuff were included with it. However I'll give it a proper go later on and get back to you, that is if someone else hasn't beaten me to it
Old 31 October 2007, 21:05   #8
Duel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
To be honest I've never actually played it properly, but I've tried it briefly and the actual game works fine. I thought all the data disks and stuff were included with it. However I'll give it a proper go later on and get back to you, that is if someone else hasn't beaten me to it
Tha main game works fine on any rom version I've tried. It's the add-on disks/playdisk issue that's tricky: the add-on cars & tracks disk initially need to be assigned to other drives for the main game to retrieve data from resulting in a lot of disk swapping. This being the issue, a create a playdisk option was included to copy all add-ons to it so everything will be on one disk and no swapping. This is where my issue comes: a playdisk created from an adf floppy doesn't have enough space for all the add-on cars & tracks. The best way to create a sufficient space playdisk is if I create it on the hard drive but I don't know to do that. Still even with that the game wants the playdisk to be on a separate drive so wonder how the Test Drive II install package you uploaded got them all together as one (as if merged).

I've made a run around the playdisk issue and it seems fine for now. You don't have to test it but I downloaded the install you uploaded for future purposes anyways. thx!

Here's a video of the game played with the expansion just in case anyone is curious. It's a Camaro in the California Roads.

Watch it here [ Show youtube player ]
Old 03 November 2007, 20:59   #9
Ed Cruse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duel View Post
Thanks for the suggestion guys. However this game is hard headed for always wanting to boot from a floppy. I don't think I can install all of it even if I know how to the WHD thing. Even in its time back in 89' the only install option whether PC or Amiga is to create the playdisk to be installed in the hard drive, not the whole program (The playdisk is similar to save game file but is actually a custom add-on disk you create from adding optioinal cars & tracks disks). The main program or master disk as they call it always have to boot from a floppy. Also the creation of the playdisk which installs the additional cars & tracks is done within the game, not in DOS or should I say Workbench or Amiga DOS. This being said, my real problem is how do I make the game recognize there's a hard drive whether a virtual drive or a hard file because in the game you assign drives DF0, DF2, etc. to create and put the playdisk. If I assign DH0 for the playdisk it doesn't see it even if I have already created a hard file in WinUAE.

Better yet if anyone is bored anough to try that game and maybe you can understand what I mean better. It's a cool racing game anyways. download the main file, the supercars and muscle car add-ons and the California and European Challenge add-on roads.

I'm not sure I truly understand your problem, but I think you can use the Assign command to do what you want. If your hardfile is dh0: and the program is looking for df0: or better df2:

then
assign df2: dh0:

if the files are located in a directory on dh0: like dh0:data

then
assign df2: dh0:data

Anytime the program looks for df2: it will actually be looking in dh0:data. I hope this helps.
Old 05 November 2007, 08:30   #10
Duel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Cruse View Post
I'm not sure I truly understand your problem, but I think you can use the Assign command to do what you want. If your hardfile is dh0: and the program is looking for df0: or better df2:

then
assign df2: dh0:

if the files are located in a directory on dh0: like dh0:data

then
assign df2: dh0:data

Anytime the program looks for df2: it will actually be looking in dh0:data. I hope this helps.
Thanks Ed, I'll try that sometime.