English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 08 May 2014, 23:11   #1
demether

Best linux UAE for coding ?

Hi,

In a near future, I plan to start learning Blitzbasic, I'd like to code on my linux PC instead of using my amiga (stock very good condition a1200 with 4mb fast, 2gb cf harddrive, pcmcia cf removable drive + a "bit tired" 1085s monitor). I also own Amiga Forever 2008.

The goal is to have a better screen (19" lcd) and a better keyboard (aluminum apple keyboard) for a more comfortable work.

So I'm wondering which linux UAE version (I'm using Ubuntu 64bit) would fit my needs. The final goal is to learn and devellop small games and apps wich I could play on my real amiga (and yours maybe one day ! ).

The other question is about UAE configuration, for this kind of purpose. We probably want best compatibility more than speed, am I right ?

My last question is about Blotz basic version, but I'll create a dedicated topic for this.

THanks for the help
Old 09 May 2014, 00:42   #2
Foul

Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul
Just read my signature
Old 09 May 2014, 00:54   #3
demether

I don't see any signature. Some kind of french joke ?
Old 09 May 2014, 02:08   #4
Mequa

On Linux your options are FS-UAE, PUAE (if you can get a stable version), WinUAE (on Wine, with some bugs and limitations), E-UAE (rather old now), or standard UAE (very old).

For development it doesn't really matter which one - I'd recommend trying at least the first 4 (the first 3 are still actively developed) - as you can switch between UAE's.

FS-UAE is more for gaming, but might be fine for development. PUAE may not be fully stable (at least last time I checked it). WinUAE might be buggy on Wine. E-UAE is old and dated. Standard UAE more so.

MS Windows is probably a better platform for Amiga emulation. However, the above should be adequate for Amiga development on Linux. On Linux 64-bit it may be better to run 32-bit versions of UAE as it provides faster JIT compilation.

You can get the needed Kickstart ROMs and ROM key from Amiga Forever.

What kind of setup are you aiming to develop for? Standard A500, A1200, or accelerated machines? (I assume you'd want your software to work on original Amiga hardware.) You can develop with fast settings, provided it is stable, as it will compile faster. For testing you might want to try out standard Amiga 500, 1200 etc. speed.

Blitz Basic 2 is the version I used back in the day - see if you can get the latest version of that. It was formerly hosted at Back to the Roots however that domain seems to be down now - however I'm sure fellow EAB members would be able to find a copy of it.
Old 09 May 2014, 07:13   #5
Foul

Quote:
Originally Posted by demether View Post
I don't see any signature. Some kind of french joke ?
Not a joke! Just under my post you can find :

Best Amiga Linux Emulator ! --> http://fs-uae.net/

Can do better
Old 09 May 2014, 12:13   #6
demether

Thanks for your answers !

@Foul : I'm sorry but I still don't see your signature But anyway, I'll take a look on FSUAE

@Mequa : I plan to develop for real amigas, I've got a real amiga 1200, almost stock version (just 4mb of fast ram, CF hard drive and pcmcia cf removable drive). I want my programs to work on real amigas, I'm not interested in amiga emulation. I just thought about UAE to have better coding comfort (especially for the LCD screen and modern keyboard). But I don't know how amiga developers work, on UAE or real machines
Old 09 May 2014, 12:21   #7
ajk

I think signatures are off by default (at least I don't see them either). You can enable them in User CP -> Edit Options -> Show Signatures if you want to see them.
Old 09 May 2014, 13:12   #8
Foul

The better is to develop on FS-UAE (or any emulator) : Faster, Real keyboard, higher resolution/ More Colors.. and to finish.. test it on real Amiga
Old 09 May 2014, 13:59   #9
demether

Yes, it's probably what I'll do, transfering the test files with my pcmcia CF card adapter.

Except if I can mod my real amiga keyboard and buy a new ldc screen for it...LOL

Thanks !