English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 11 January 2021, 22:16   #41
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by powrslave View Post
I put a zip for you in the Zone, don't know if it will help. Good Luck

(BTW I named the wifi adapter incorrectly in the title of this thread perhaps an admin can amend this to MA401 ad opposed to M401)

Hi Powerslave (IronMaiden fan or just a coincidence?) I did manage to get those hex files. Do I remember where? Jesus I dunno now. I scavenged and scavenged and picked up bits here and there and I got them from someone who has stuck them on with drop box links some thread in a galaxy far far away.

These files definitely should be more available for folks so it's good you stuck them on the zone. Some people making a bit of money off the back of them being the only people on the planet still capable of flashing PCMCIA network adapters with the correct firmware

BTW I know sweat FA about the zone, that's the FTP site isn't it that I need to log into everyweek to keep my membership?

The whole ordeal has turned my hair white and wrinkled my skin to the point where I am 38 yrs old but I look like I'm 98.

I contemplated all kinds of things, throwing my Amiga outside, getting my girlfriend to drive over it, setting fire to it..........well you get the idea.

Anyways!

As it turns out!

I had through all that blood sweat and tears actually successfully upgraded the NetGear MA401 with the correct firmware as per screen shot a couple of posts back. Of course I was not able to believe this entirely as I still could not get my Amiga online.

So after flashing, and flashing again, trying all these drivers within the XP partition I created on one of my PC hard drive partitions, and bagging myself the PCMCIA - PCI adapter on ebay for £5 to get it to read the adapter card I decided lets take for granted now the MA401 is flashed correctly, lets take a look at the Amiga side of things.

So I did. And that wasn't straightforward either as trying to find the folder ENVARC/sys was a fucking mystery all onto itself. But low a behold I smelt something was up and I just needed to find these Wireless preferenceS I had read about for Prism2.

Long story short, my preferences had multiple entries within them from numerous running of the prism2 install script (I had tried it about 10 times for various reasons assuming all old entries would just be installed over - the preferences files however just wrights a new lot of text below the first lot). This I believe was fucking everything up along with one other thing which was in my startup script.

Startup script had a line in it that I got from following this guide http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=52235 I still had the ancient pre WPA/WPA2instructions in there to add the SSID and Passkey onto the prism2 preferences. This is not needed form Prism2v2 as when you install it it generates a preferences file at the start where you enter your details in so perhaps that guide could be upgraded as it's in multiple places and kind misleading despite being a help with the general setup.

So once I amended the Wireless manager preferences file, amended my startup and run through the miami again I noticed the adapter had stopped flashing its LED and it was solidly lit. I tested Aweb and hey presto I could access Aminet, WHDload page, and google.

Hopefully I can get it set up a bit better and get some http:// access on the go. One step at a time though.

Just getting a ping of the dam thing was such an achievement after the month long battle I've had with it. Might even do up my own guide
Old 29 March 2024, 20:30   #42
cwa107

Hey there. Sorry to revive this old thread, but I'm in a similar pickle with an eBay found Netgear MA401. I'd really like to get it up and running on WPA2, but having the same struggles finding the files needed to do so. I don't believe the files that were uploaded to the Zone by powrslave are still available. I would appreciate any pointers you may have. I'm specifically looking for help updating the firmware for support of WPA2. I'm confident I can configure it on my PiStorm-equipped A1200 with AmigaOS 3.2.
Old 31 March 2024, 00:01   #43
Sir_Lucas

Hi. Here are the firmwares that you need:
https://web.archive.org/web/20200219...irmware/1.7.4/
Old 01 April 2024, 00:33   #44
ncafferkey

The original firmware download page has moved, but has not disappeared: http://junsun.net/old/linux/intersil-prism/

The link has been updated in the latest prism2 package.