English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Amiga Forever

Old 01 June 2017, 20:42   #1
michaelz

Betatesting Amiga and C64 Forever 7

This thread is made for the betatesters of Amiga Forever 7 and C64 Forever 7. If needed I'll add more information later. Please keep the discussion to these two applications.

I just noticed I send some licenses crossed. The C64 Forever license and the Amiga Forever license are for some the other way around. Sorry about that, it was some manual labour prepping the messages. It's not the most easy task in this forum-software. For some reason it's not made for spamming

Last edited by michaelz; 01 June 2017 at 20:53.
Old 01 June 2017, 21:41   #2
michaelz

Found my first bug. I already had Amiga Forever 2016 installed. I installed C64 Forever 7 and tried to look at the interfaces side by side. Since I saw the C64 Forever items in Amiga Forever I gave it a try. They started up allright, but the Amiga Forever didn't respond to any of the keypresses I gave while running a C64 emulation.

When starting up the same systems or games through C64 Forever, it did respond to me.

Last edited by michaelz; 01 June 2017 at 21:58.
Old 02 June 2017, 07:57   #3
mcb

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelz View Post
Found my first bug.
Thanks, we should have discussed a prize for the first bug!

Once you have both packages at the same version 7 level, that is fixed, right?

If you read the help tip for Tools/Options/General/[x] Merge platforms, which is the feature you describe, it will say that Amiga Forever and C64 Forever need to be the same version in order to use them "as one" (they will still work separately, even with different versions installed). On our side, we forgot to update the internal version checks for this, so it will be fixed.

Mike

Last edited by mcb; 02 June 2017 at 08:54.
Old 02 June 2017, 08:42   #4
mcb

Quote:
This thread is made for the betatesters of Amiga Forever 7 and C64 Forever 7. If needed I'll add more information later. Please keep the discussion to these two applications.
Thank you, Michael, for spearheading this.

The other day I was discussing why some of us engage in things like coding or arts instead of football and other more "social" activities. While I know what led me into a Commodore/Amiga-branded world when I was about 11 or 12 years old, I did not expect that even today I still seem to seek refuge in creativity, or machine issues, more than in the humans themselves, when faced with some more complex forms of interaction, as emerged in some of the threads here. So, in case you were suspecting this, the answer is yes, my secret hope is that this "beta" discussion may mature into something else

End of digression!

I know there are some WinUAE power users here. Once you install Amiga Forever, here are some tips:

- Scroll to the end of Tools/Options/Emulation, and enable "[x] Launch from menu" and "[x] Write log files" for WinUAE, WinFellow and VICE. That will help testing and sharing debug information.

- Then go the Input tab, which is right after Emulation, click Edit for the shared options, and make sure that "Plugin runtime options" is set to F12 (just press the <F12> key while in the field). Read the warning, because title information is not saved via F12. But, I don't want you to have the feeling that you can't do the things you could do when using WinUAE in standalone mode.

- Under Help/About, make sure that "[x] Include beta versions" is enabled. It is pre-enabled when you install a beta build. If you are not comfortable with the software going online to check for updates, you can disable one or two options right there.

- Explore the title editor. For example, right-click any entry in the Systems list, and select Edit. When you make changes to a title (e.g. configuration or description), the information is stored in the actual title file itself, i.e. in the XML manifest of the RP9 package. This mechanism is designed for long-term content access and maintenance, without needing a separate database. In the General tab of the editor, click Show Manifest, Show Changes or All Files... to view low-level XML and package details. You are in control!

- Please have a look at the new Input options, both at the general level (under Tools/Options/Input) and at the title level (Edit, then go to the Input tab). These took many months of work, and are extremely powerful. You can use, reconfigure and associate different game controllers, individual buttons, virtual buttons, etc., to Amiga and CBM systems. The abstraction between global "profiles" and title-specific settings was meant to let you describe your personal preferences and devices at a more general level, while keeping titles as portable as possible.

With projects like (Win)UAE, (Win)Fellow, VICE, QEMU and DOSBox, we know that we stand on the shoulders of giants. But I hope that this experience with Amiga Forever and C64 Forever, which may be the first for some of you, may make you appreciate that these packages are not simple "launchers". They are sophisticated authoring and playback environments, trying to blend the passions of our youth with a long-term vision and hopes.

We invested more than half a million lines of code written by Cloanto into this (not counting previous versions, nor open source components, to which we also contribute), and I am grateful to all of you who accepted to explore what has been part of our daily lives for more than 20 years (Amiga Forever 1.0 was in 1997!), and help improve it.

Mike
Old 04 June 2017, 17:45   #5
PeterK

My first impressions of Amiga Forever "7" are quite good and I couldn't find any serious bug yet.

[PARANOID]
Nevertheless, before I started testing this time, I made a backup of Windows 10, exported all my personal WinUAE settings from the registry and created a new Windows user "Tester" in order to keep all Amiga Forever configuration settings in a new profile without getting in conflict with my Admin account. You never know!
[/PARANOID]

Three years ago, the installer of Amiga Forever 2013 was still overwriting my WinUAE paths settings, but now nothing like this has happened again. The new installation was flawless and easy and I only left out the bundle of games, since I'm not a gambler. The only unexpected effect that I noticed when I wanted to start WinUAE directly from my personal setup was a new requester popping up and telling me:
Quote:
Stand-alone playback of the selected content is not enabled. You may want to retry from inside a supported player. You can upgrade at any time to unlock all the features of the Plus Edition.
But this message disappeared after a while. Maybe it was just necessary to start the Amiga Forever player once? I don't know why it appeared a few times and why it has gone away later.

The first thing I've tried out in Amiga Forever was the OS 3.X system. Something I'm missing is a real good filesystem browser like DOpus 4.17pre21 which I'm using in my private OS 3.9 system. Ok, there is DOpus 5 available, but that's not a good browser in my opinion. It wants to do all and does nothing perfect. It's not a good "one pane" browser like the Windows Explorer, nor a good "two pane" browser like DOpus 4 or many others. Another thing I'm still missing in OS 3.X is a certain library, but who cares.

Btw, when I switched into the fullscreen mode I noticed that AmigaForever is using D3D by default. Unfortunately, my PC comes with Intel HD graphics which is very bad in scaling under D3D, so I set the configuration back to Direct Draw to get better readable text in fullscreen mode. Of course, this is not a bug of AF or WinUAE.

Then I was curious to find out what I could do with the "Amiga 4000 PPC" system. I found an old AmigaOS 4.0 Classic CD and first created an ADF boot disk from it under my OS 3.9 system. Then I made a copy of the A4000 PPC system and added the ISO and ADF images to the media list.

After the configuration changes were saved I started this new system, but after booting from the floppy and later from the CD for a while a purple and a red screen appeared and the booting stopped. The reason for this problem was probably a missing internet connection, which I really don't want to offer for the test account. So, I removed the network card support from the configuration and started again. The problem was gone and I could successfully begin with the OS 4.0 installation. A 300 MB HDF file is already prepared and only needs to be formatted and filled up with the OS files. I only discovered one little problem here. If the filesystem format is not compatible to the OS 3.x standard (like "long filenames" support) then it is required to copy the filesystem from L: onto the RDB block of the HDF, too. But the RDB block is not large enough by default to store this additional file.

Finally, the OS 4.0 installation was done without any further problems, I removed the ADF and the CD images and started the new system again. And it works !!

Many thanks to Michael and Mike !
Old 05 June 2017, 09:48   #6
mcb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Three years ago, the installer of Amiga Forever 2013 was still overwriting my WinUAE paths settings, but now nothing like this has happened again.
Indeed that was a bug, not something intentional (it was some leftover test code meant to suppress the WinUAE "beta" message). It was fixed around March 2014. WinUAE power users are always in our thoughts!

Quote:
Maybe it was just necessary to start the Amiga Forever player once? I don't know why it appeared a few times and why it has gone away later.
Yes, Amiga Forever registration on the local machine completes on first run. That also deploys some files, like the WHDLoad ROMs.

I took a note to see how we can avoid that message for some actions initiated outside of Amiga Forever.

Quote:
The first thing I've tried out in Amiga Forever was the OS 3.X system. Something I'm missing is a real good filesystem browser like DOpus 4.17pre21 which I'm using in my private OS 3.9 system... Another thing I'm still missing in OS 3.X is a certain library, but who cares.
That's always been a difficult topic... If we installed everything, would that please everyone?

You can get many addons, and some we try to include, but for each of them there are users who love them, and others who don't. So, we prefer to have some good preset systems, a simple way to duplicate and edit them, or even test with undo options, and leave you the choice of what to add, if anything.

But I see what you mean: some components stand out, and should obviously be considered for an "enhanced" environment.

Quote:
Btw, when I switched into the fullscreen mode I noticed that AmigaForever is using D3D by default. Unfortunately, my PC comes with Intel HD graphics which is very bad in scaling under D3D, so I set the configuration back to Direct Draw to get better readable text in fullscreen mode. Of course, this is not a bug of AF or WinUAE.
Be sure to also explore the different options under Tools/Options/Emulation/Fullscreen options. I personally don't like scaling at all for example, I prefer the more granular exact multipliers. You can also change the resolution inside the Amiga Prefs, so that it gets closer to the intended Windows one (or an exact multiple of it).

Quote:
But the RDB block is not large enough by default to store this additional file.
I need to check our RDB disk format code, thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Many thanks to Michael and Mike !
Thank you!

Mike
Old 05 June 2017, 13:29   #7
PeterK

Found a problem with the ISO image of Amiga Forever 7 when I mount it in the Windows 10 Explorer. The Explorer cannot access ":\Amiga Files\Systems" and complains "Path not available" and "File or directory is damaged or unreadable".

Trying the same in a Windows shell, I can still "CD" into the "Systems" subdir, but when I want to list the contents there with "Dir" the shell complains: <DIR> . "File not found". Very strange!

But when I check the ISO image with 7-Zip then there are no errors found, I can open "\Amiga Files\Systems" without any problems and all system files are available.

I've also mounted my old ISO image of AF 2013 and in this case the Explorer doesn't have anything to complain about the systems directory.

Update 1:
It gets even more strange now:

I've mounted the ISO image of Amiga Forever 7 again with the Explorer and then started WinUAE with "CDFS automount CD/DVD drives" enabled in order to access the new virtual Explorer CD drive under AmigaOS 3.9. And believe it or not, all directories and files are there ! What a wonderful Windows Explorer bug is that now ?

I guess, the special characters in the "CD³² ... .rp9" filename are responsible for this issue with the Windows Explorer. I had no such problem when I created an ISO image with the same contents with ISO Workshop under Windows.

Update2:
Deleted the CD³² and CDTV systems now and built the ISO image again. No problems anymore with the Windows Explorer displaying the contents of Systems.

Last edited by PeterK; 06 June 2017 at 14:33.
Old 05 June 2017, 22:17   #8
michaelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb View Post
Thanks, we should have discussed a prize for the first bug!

Once you have both packages at the same version 7 level, that is fixed, right?

If you read the help tip for Tools/Options/General/[x] Merge platforms, which is the feature you describe, it will say that Amiga Forever and C64 Forever need to be the same version in order to use them "as one" (they will still work separately, even with different versions installed). On our side, we forgot to update the internal version checks for this, so it will be fixed.

Mike
I upgraded Amiga Forever to the Beta version and it looks fine now. C64 Forever show all the systems/games/applications of Amiga Forever and both can start those of the other application.

Just curious though; Why not make one single application, with add-on packs? Now I have two applications that give the same functionality. Perhaps making one "Commodore Forever" application also does more right to the PET, Plus/4 and VIC-20 that are now bundled in the C64 Forever package. Wouldn't be a very big difference I guess. I would buy the Commodore Forever application with the Amiga add-on for example as base, and later add the Classic bundle (PET, Plus/4, VIC-20 and C64 bundle).
Old 06 June 2017, 05:18   #9
LadyJane85

Thanks for letting me try this.

Overall feels very polished. I had an older version, but this is my first time with the "editor".

I found only one (small) problem so far: if you click Edit, then Show Manifest, all is OK (XML displayed with "normal" font). But if you make a change, the same button becomes Show Changes, and it opens a window with an extra-large font. So, same window, but one has the wrong font (about double size).

Maybe, it is because I have 4K monitor?

Old 06 June 2017, 17:32   #10
PeterK

Moved down to post #12

Last edited by PeterK; 07 June 2017 at 06:57.
Old 06 June 2017, 17:54   #11
mcb

Quote:
Found a problem with the ISO image of Amiga Forever 7 when I mount it in the Windows 10 Explorer... I guess, the special characters in the "CD³² ... .rp9" filename are responsible for this issue with the Windows Explorer....
Again, very good feedback, thank you.

I suspect a bug in our branch of cdrtools, which is invoked by Build Image. What you may be seeing could be an issue in just one of the three file system that are built into the disc image: ISO 9660, ISO+Rock Ridge and ISO+Joliet. Actually ISO El Torito extensions as well, for the boot code. When you see differences between Windows and Amiga, it could be that they each access a different one, more than a Windows vs. Amiga code bug. The June 2014 build included changes to better support characters > 127. However, maybe it wasn't properly tested in all three file systems that the tool builds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJane85 View Post
if you click Edit, then Show Manifest, all is OK (XML displayed with "normal" font). But if you make a change, the same button becomes Show Changes, and it opens a window with an extra-large font. So, same window, but one has the wrong font (about double size).

Maybe, it is because I have 4K monitor?
Yes, looks like a high-DPI issue, thank you. Will be an easy fix.

Quote:
Just curious though; Why not make one single application, with add-on packs? Now I have two applications that give the same functionality... I would buy the Commodore Forever application...
It certainly is a possibility. If we did not have such a strong attachment to the Amiga and to the CBM 8-bit platforms, also as expressions of our own past, and if we had started with the idea of a generic "multiplatform player", then that could have been the way to go from the beginning. If such a product existed now, I still think it should have a different identity from Amiga Forever and C64 Forever, rather than replacing them. But then, some of our partners are working on scenarios like this.

Back in 1997, there were different name considerations. When Petro Tyschtschenko heard the "Forever" one, we had an exchange where it was clear that this should be the name. Today more than ever, it represents our commitment to preserving and making accessible this beautiful platform. We can always argue about how a small company, funded entirely by its generous users and by some other software projects, could do things differently, but there is a very strong mission statement in that name, which cannot be expressed with something like "RetroPlayer".

There is also an 8-bit and an Amiga part to this.

Have you ever wondered why Amiga Forever has "Amiga Files", but C64 Forever has "CBM Files"? "CBM Forever" is even mentioned in one of the help tips, and elsewhere. And if you go to cbmforever.com, it redirects to c64forever.com. "CBM" is indeed our favorite identity for the 8-bit platform. It is a more accurate historical representation of the Commodore era, which even for me started with a PET and a VIC 20, while the C64 is something that a few friends had. To this day, one of my PET pet projects remains adding high-quality KIM-1 support. But when the project started, we were not sure if we could get certain rights outside of the C64 world, and the "C64" name stuck. Admittedly, it is also easier to convey. But nothing is forever, or is it?

For the Amiga side, keep in mind that for some people there is a 100% Commodore identity, but for others the Amiga story is also the story of that Silicon Valley startup. There was not one Deathbed Vigil, but two!

My own first impact with the Amiga in 1985 was as a Commodore system. This continued, as in my developer years everything we did was with Commodore. The only hint at a different perspective came from a few encounters with Jay Miner, who made me think about Commodore not always inviting him, if not wanting him to be around. But being fully immersed in that Commodore world - a pre-web world - I could not understand that well enough at the time. But this now adds to the reasons for celebrating the Amiga story using its own name.

Amiga Forever!

Mike

Last edited by mcb; 06 June 2017 at 18:12.
Old 07 June 2017, 06:54   #12
PeterK

(Moved this post down from #10.)

You can insert a floppy or a CD image at runtime and also eject the floppy again, but it seems not to be possible to eject the CDs with the gadget at the window bottom (except with <F12> in WinUAE).

When the boot system is installed in a Windows directory instead of a HDF, ADF or CD then a message appears and claims there is no bootable media mounted. This (PowerPC Boot) requester can be ignored and the system will start successfully from a Windows directory, too.

Although such a Windows directory is assigned as a bootable drive DH0: in the media list already, no HDD gadget appears at the bottom and indicates disk access with a blinking LED.

Update:
Only the Workbench 3.X crashes WinUAE if you try to reset the emulation with the recycle gadget at the top or the keyboard gadget at the bottom of the window. This does not happen with the other systems and there is no problem with the <F12> WinUAE reset.

---------------

Workbench 3.X uses workbench.library 45.127 and icon.library 45.1 but an old Workbench preferences program v44 which has no switch to enable "Images in other memory". WB 3.5 has a small tool from Stephan Rupprecht that can be used to load icons into FastMem: WBCtrl IMT=ICONFAST. http://www.stephan-rupprecht.de/

Or you could also use my small command (and source code) "IconsToFastMem" which works with icon.library 45.1, too. Unfortunately that icon.library always wastes at least a little amount of ChipMem without any good reason. You already wanted to replace it 3 years ago, so what are your worries now still not doing it, Mike?

I would also change the WB 3.X screenmode from 8-bit to 32-bit which makes direct drawing to the gfx-card memory possible, could result in better icon colors and keeps more pens free for applications if this and some other features are supported.

---------------

The "Software Director" for the Amiga Forever update handling is installed by default, but it doesn't appear as an icon in the Windows Start menu. It's hidden in "Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Cloanto\Software Director". Maybe it's also launched through Help=>"About Amiga Forever"=>Updates ?

There seem to be some small typos in the help file in the AmigaOS versions table. OS 3.5 is V44 and OS 4.0 is V52, as far as I know. (V46 is just for me. )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AmigaOS_versions.png
Views:	270
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	53351  

Last edited by PeterK; 12 June 2017 at 16:44.
Old 08 June 2017, 03:47   #13
B3L4

In the GUI the "My Folders" option is a mess. If you try to create a subfolder for let say RPG-s you get an option to point to a folder on the hdd instead of creating a fake folder and storing simlinks. Be carefull if you try to try it since this is what happens atm:

-> right click on My Folder -> Add Folder >>you forced to select a folder on your hdd
I had under 444 a DiskMaster2 folder + DiskMaster2.info file, I was hoping to able to add that as a folder. So selected folder 444, than.....
GUI tells me " Files in unssupported format were found, blabla create RP9 if you want to use." you click on OK
Next thing you see is the Diskmaster2.info file has been moved under the Unrecognized folder and left the DiskMaster2 folder out.

If you click any folder where multiple things resides and GUI doesn't recognize them it will be moved without asking you!

Funny part: after addig the 444 folder I can rename it within the GUI, it will not change the name of the folder on HDD. But I'm unable to create a "whatevernamefolder" within the GUI straight. You cannot change the destination folder, so you stuck with that forever, or remove and add again.

It works ONLY with RP9 files, don't even bother ADF ZIP or any common format.

We BADLY need an EXTRAS button on the TOP of the screen next the other icons. The reason I love RP9 is: you can add pdf + pics + docs to a game. BUT you will only able to find them and read them if you >right click game name > edit > select extras tab. Most of the people will not going to look into that tab to read walkthrough. (and if we add an pdf, for double click it should open and the edit window because that plane stupid imao)

Why we can't add URL to the extras tab with whatever youtube playtrough or anything?

Database: RP9 or nothing. Can't edit or add. IMAO openretro.org/amiga is about 200000 times more usuable than the rp9 database. I got it internal own database, but at leas we should have the option to select something else.

=======
I only point out bad things, I love the following things:
Able to insert 4x pic and have the chance to click on magnifying
The recolored stars at rating so finally I can see my rates
Details / Configuration tabs are simple / clear good ones!

Last edited by B3L4; 08 June 2017 at 03:53. Reason: added extra things

Old 08 June 2017, 08:12   #14
mcb

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3L4 View Post
Database: RP9 or nothing. Can't edit or add.
Will answer in more detail later, thanks for all the feedback.

Just to clarify, the data you add (description, configuration, ancillary files) is in the RP9 file, not in a database. You are free to add/edit anything and it will stay with your title, no matter where you move it, or if you are offline, etc. There is no "central database". In the future, we plan on allowing lookups to different databases as well, also to automatically rescan/refresh existing files (like you can do with RP9 Toolbox already). But titles need to run without those databases, so the data will always be in the XML manifest of the file.

Does that make sense, or am I missing something?
Old 13 June 2017, 14:01   #15
mcb

A beta refresh was released last night, which should also address the following issues:

- Font too large in title XML manifest "Show Changes" on High-DPI displays
- Bootability detection for mounted directories
- Unavailable CD/image eject option
- Non-RP9 files moved to subdirectory (should have been ignored, not moved)
- "3.5" library version number in manual (fixed in fresh installs only)

To force a check for updates go to Help/About. Or re-download the original installer, which has been updated in the meantime. It is OK to install on top of the previous version (uninstall is not required).

A few other issues (missing HD icon, subpixel instead of integer fullscreen, out of sync pause indication after F12) might be resolved with the next WinUAE update.

Quote:
Workbench 3.X uses workbench.library 45.127 and icon.library 45.1 but an old Workbench preferences program v44
They were probably written by different people. The enhancements by Heinz and Olaf were allowed to be used (both directly by them and via Amiga Technologies) since the early beginning of Amiga Forever, whereas the work done by or for Haage & Partner (which I think includes the Prefs update you cite) was more complex to deal with.

Between 2012 and 2016 we had specific exchanges with Amiga, Inc., to try to sort out the situation of "Classic" updates developed since 1994. Bill McEwen gets my credit and respect for helping our minutious work involving lots of small details that are needed for "defragmenting" the code developed during this time period, and for the cause of reconciliation and preservation in general. During his tenure as President/CEO of Amiga, Inc., we all spent a lot of time (and legal expenses) on this aspect, which has limited commercial interest and includes agreements that apparently were disputed at the time (you may remember some statements about "3.9"), as well as agreements with subcontractors that have in the meantime expired.

The next steps to be able to officially bring back some 3.5 and 3.9 updates would include sitting down with Haage & Partner and the developers who did this work. For myself, that could be a welcome opportunity to meet some old friends again. We have a lot of pleasant Amiga memories in common.

Quote:
The "Software Director" for the Amiga Forever update handling is installed by default, but it doesn't appear as an icon in the Windows Start menu.
It actually should show up if you start typing "Software Dir..." It always was under Control Panel, not under Program Files. I will check if there is an indexing issue affecting Control Panel items in the latest Windows 10 builds. I am thinking that it might be the case, as Microsoft wants everyone to use the new Settings.

The whole approach to software updates needs constant reevaluation. Originally it seemed like a good idea to have a single component like our own Software Director to check for updates for multiple programs, as it could minimize code and actual checks, while exposing what it did under a common user interface. It also can be updated, e.g. for security and features, when the main app maybe isn't updated any more (imagine using an Amiga Forever CD from the 1990s, and it can do update checks via TLS and display them in 4K quality). But, in recent years it became more prevalent and accepted for apps to go online and check for updates directly. Occasionally somebody wonders why they got "Software Director" with Amiga Forever, and that's when I wish we followed the latter approach, or that maybe explanations like these were more immediate to understand.

What do you think?

Quote:
Funny part: after addig the 444 folder I can rename it within the GUI, it will not change the name of the folder on HDD.
You are actually only renaming the shortcut, not the actual folder. The new beta calls it "Rename Shortcut", so it should be clearer?

Perhaps by renaming the user only wanted to change the name displayed inside Amiga Forever, without affecting the file system. Or perhaps you wanted to rename the actual folder. In case of doubt, we prefer not to touch the user content.

We are researching notifications of renames done from Windows File Explorer, and how that could best be propagated into Amiga Forever.

Quote:
We BADLY need an EXTRAS button on the TOP of the screen next the other icons. The reason I love RP9 is: you can add pdf + pics + docs to a game. BUT you will only able to find them and read them if you >right click game name > edit > select extras tab.
Did you notice the little menu triangles under the Documents, Web and Music buttons?

What extras are you missing, or how would you prefer to access them?

More ways to add URLs to a title, and dedicated features for accessing linked videos, are in the works.

Quote:
I only point out bad things, I love the following things:
Don't worry, that's the life of software testing and improvement cycles. All "negative" feedback is seen as positive/constructive!

Quote:
The recolored stars at rating so finally I can see my rates
Details / Configuration tabs are simple / clear good ones!
We are actually still working on this. It is not sufficiently clear at the moment what data is in the title (gray stars for default rating), and what data, like personal ratings (yellow stars), is "personal". Personal annotations will also be added, and you don't necessarily want these to be shared if you share the title for other reasons. In one of the next builds, it should be possible to backup/restore and import/export personal data.
Old 13 June 2017, 15:29   #16
PeterK

Quote:
- Bootability detection for mounted directories
- Unavailable CD/image eject option
- "3.5" library version number in manual (fixed in fresh installs only)
Works!

Quote:
re-download the original installer, which has been updated in the meantime. It is OK to install on top of the previous version (uninstall is not required).
Funny, I started downloading the "amigaforever-7-1-28-0-beta.msi", and then thought "What the hll are you doing, you already have this file". But when I noticed that the file size was a little bit different I waited until the download finished. And this installer has installed 7-1-32-0-beta indeed.

Building the ISO image is not fixed yet.

I must admit that I never tried to use the search function to find the Software Director, and yes, it's really located in the system configuration and it also works.

Workbench 3.X Reset/Reboot seems to work, too.

Update:
After uninstalling AmigaForever 7 and the Software Director IOBit Uninstaller stiil found some remaining registry entries and files. The firewall rules are my problem, of course. CCleaner and Wise Registry Cleaner even found some additional entries.

Thanks a lot, Mike!
Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Uninstall.png
Views:	211
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	53427  

Last edited by PeterK; 14 June 2017 at 16:29.
Old 19 June 2017, 13:09   #17
mcb

Quote:
After uninstalling AmigaForever 7 and the Software Director IOBit Uninstaller stiil found some remaining registry entries and files.
The uninstaller is designed to remove everything it installed, leaving a "clean" system. However, it also respects any files that may have been added later, for example by you working hard on some Amiga project. In this case, the extra files were probably installed at runtime or as an update, after the original installation.

I will double-check, but any files left behind would normally have been spotted by the procedure used for Windows Logo testing, because complete uninstallation is a Microsoft test case.
Old 19 June 2017, 16:41   #18
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb View Post
In this case, the extra files were probably installed at runtime or as an update, after the original installation.
I don't think so, since these are player files, and I never played any game, did not even install the games.

Maybe, these files should have been deleted during the next reboot, but the IOBit Uninstaller scans the system directly after the normal uninstaller has finished its job. The IOBit Uninstaller never waits for a reboot.
Old 20 June 2017, 04:14   #19
Saghalie

Where does one get the beta? Do we have to signup for it?

Last edited by DH; 14 November 2017 at 17:20. Reason: Deleted direct signature
Old 20 June 2017, 14:32   #20
mcb

Quote:
I don't think so, since these are player files, and I never played any game, did not even install the games.
I double-checked, and it looks like these exact files were installed by an update. At that post-installation level, it becomes increasingly complex to differentiate between what you may want to keep, and what not. I will check if we can improve on this specific location.