English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Amiga websites reviews

Old 15 September 2001, 11:13   #1
Amigaboy

Amiga Joker scans

I can't read German, so I didn't get much out of this site, but I did see they have Amiga Joker coverscans

http://kultpower.de/

Enjoy

Old 12 October 2001, 14:39   #2
Tim Janssen

HTML or scanned pictures?

Question: does anyone really read the scanned game reviews on the Kultpower.de site (assuming you can read German)? If not, why? Do you prefer the text in HTML or aren't you interested at all in ancient game reviews?
I am asking this because I am working at a site which has over 150 Amiga Joker/ Zzap/ Cu Amiga reviews converted to HTML. It is nice to know whether there could be an audience for it.
Old 12 October 2001, 15:20   #3
Tim Janssen

HTML or Picture?

S4murai,
Do you prefer to read a review from a picture (like at Kultpower.de) or do you prefer the text in HTML?
Old 12 October 2001, 16:04   #4
Kodoichi
Banned

Location: I'm the smiling face on your TV, I exploit you still you love me
As the scans from Kultpower are quite good, I have no problems reading them from 'paper'. Also, the original layout and pictures are intact.

I can't really say which one I would prefer, scans are just more 'authentic', but HTML loads up faster.
Old 12 October 2001, 16:51   #5
RetroMan

I also read them and I prefer scans make it feel more "retro" but I have lot´s of these mags in paper form here, so i don´t read many online hehe.....
Old 13 October 2001, 03:26   #6
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I prefer the scans, personally, because in addition to what I get to read on the reviews (assuming the scans are not over-compressed or progressive jpg, which is an all too common problem), but I get to see the actual way it looked. I guess a remake compared to the original (original being retro). If the scans are too small or low quality (I tend to scan huge 300dpi files), then it's not worth having, though.
Old 19 October 2001, 13:53   #7
Tim Janssen

General opinion: Paper reviews are preferred

Twistin,
You have got a good point by preferring scanned reviews above HTML because one can see the way it originally looked. I think this is the general opinion.
Nevertheless I will go on with my paper-to-HTML site because I already have put much time and effort in it. I will try to find a balance between 'original' paper reviews (like at Kultpower.de) and plain text (like at the AG Database site). On my site one will find multiple reviews of the same game in 1 HTML file (E.g. Zzap!, CU Amiga, Amiga Joker and Amiga Format reviews of Xenon 2).
Promises, promises..
Old 19 October 2001, 15:32   #8
Big-Byte
Long time member

Check out www.zzap64.co.uk

My mate Mort has been very hard at work and scanned about 50 complete ZZap 64 magazines for this site..
Old 19 October 2001, 23:26   #9
RetroMan

I´m thinking about doing the same with my german "64er" Mags, nice link Big-Byte
Old 30 October 2001, 01:29   #10
RetroMan

Well, there are new scans of Amiga Joker on http://www.kultpower.de ! This time from the issues 1+2/92: Agony, Airbus A320, Alien Breed, B.A.T. 2, Birds of Prey, First Samurai, Formula One Grand Prix, Gobliiins, Heart of China, Knightmare, Leander, Lethal Xcess, Mad TV, Moonfall, Moonstone, Populous 2, Realms, Red Baron, Robocop 3, Tip Off, Videokid.

If you´re NOT from germany, maybe you´re interested in the pics
Old 30 October 2001, 09:56   #11
gene_amiga

Well, nice to see the discussion about my scans at www.kultpower.de

When I started to build my website, I tried to use OCR-Software to convert some reviews to HTML. The result was not very satisfying for two reasons: 1st) The OCR Software made many errors and correcting them needs too much time and 2nd) the original Layout was gone ! This was a thing I really did not want, because I saw all the reviews directly in front of me (virtually) and without the original Layout it seemed much "less cool" to me

Imagine converting about 800 reviews (thats's the actual amount of reviews on Kultpower) into HTML, with Screenshots and the LAyout, perhaps with CSS possible but then I would have about 20 reviews up to today

cu

Old 30 October 2001, 10:03   #12
RetroMan

Heyhey Welcome aboard and a big hello from germany to germany

You made a great site and I think it´s a real big thing for those mags not to be forgotten some time .... hold up the good work and good luck in the future .....

Btw. I still have many ASM and PowerPlay issues, if you´re missing some, just post here and I can scan some articles for you
Old 30 October 2001, 10:24   #13
gene_amiga

Quote:
Originally posted by RetroMan
Heyhey Welcome aboard and a big hello from germany to germany

You made a great site and I think it´s a real big thing for those mags not to be forgotten some time .... hold up the good work and good luck in the future .....

Btw. I still have many ASM and PowerPlay issues, if you´re missing some, just post here and I can scan some articles for you
Thanx for the "warm words"
You gotta see my room, it's full of old mags (don't tell my girlfriend)
I own nearly all ASMs (only the really last ones are missing, but there it was the "Computer Spaß-Magazin an it began to suck ) and also reaaaaaly many Powerplays. Here I miss the years 1997-1999. If you can scan reviews from the coolest games (and I mean REALLY cool games) then it would be very nice. But in my opinion the Powerplay was only cool (or "kult") up to about 1995. All the original authors left and the Powerplay started to give more than 80 % to every game
I personally scan with 82 dpi without resizing the picture afterwards.

cu

Old 30 October 2001, 10:55   #14
RetroMan

Hmmm, sorry, that nothing I can be usefull with I only have 3 or 4 years of PowerPlay issues from the beginning (when Happy Computer changed to PowerPlay that days) and my ASM issues are from the same time, so I guess you got them all ..... So, anyway, good luck and I WANT MORE STARKILLER
Old 30 October 2001, 11:00   #15
Tim Janssen

Welcome

Welcome to EAB, Gene_Amiga,

I visit your great site a couple of times a week only to see which reviews you have added to Kultpower. All magazines at your site were sold in my hometown (which lies at the German border) in the Netherlands so it is pure nostalgia to see them again. The only German magazine I always bought was Amiga Joker until it disappeared from the shelves at my newsagent in Summer 1993.

Here at EAB a lot is written about Amiga magazines (see Favourite Amiga magazine thread). It would be nice to see your opinion about these magazines and current trends in reviewing games.

As I have said in this thread before I am working for over a year now at my digitised-Amiga-reviews site. I OCR reviews, correct the text in M$ Word and convert them to HTML. It takes lots of time. I have to admit I have sacrificed the original layout a bit but have kept ‘typical’ properties intact. Take a look at a typical Amiga Joker review for example: I have kept the Joker face-expression, the score-panel and font-color. The fonts and textblocks have changed, though.

It does not matter how the reviews get digitised (I.e. scanned or OCR) just as long they do not get lost in the mists of time as Retroman said before.
Old 30 October 2001, 13:57   #16
gene_amiga

Quote:
Hmmm, sorry, that nothing I can be usefull with I only have 3 or 4 years of PowerPlay issues from the beginning (when Happy Computer changed to PowerPlay that days) and my ASM issues are from the same time, so I guess you got them all ..... So, anyway, good luck and I WANT MORE STARKILLER
Hmm, honestly I do not own some Powerplay-Issues from the early years (1987-1989). Which issues do you have?

More Starkiller? Well, difficult :-(
Heinrich Lenhardt & Co do not give me the permission to publish more than the first 6 episodes of Starkiller :-( I have to ask them again, keep up the hope!

Old 30 October 2001, 14:00   #17
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by gene_amiga
Hmm, honestly I do not own some Powerplay-Issues from the early years (1987-1989). Which issues do you have?
Uhhhhh, I don´t have them sorted, they are between the ASM, Happy Computer, 64er and all that other Computer Mags but I´ll have a look these days ... promised
Old 30 October 2001, 14:04   #18
gene_amiga

Quote:

Uhhhhh, I don´t have them sorted, they are between the ASM, Happy Computer, 64er and all that other Computer Mags but I´ll have a look these days ... promised
Happy Computer ?? Do you have one or more of these BIG issues ("Happy Computer Spiele Spezial") ? If so: Would you mind selling them to me?

Old 30 October 2001, 14:40   #19
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by gene_amiga
Happy Computer ?? Do you have one or more of these BIG issues ("Happy Computer Spiele Spezial") ? If so: Would you mind seling them to me?
Think I have 2 or 3 of them, but I won´t sell them, if I find them, I´ll make some cover scans for you
Old 01 November 2001, 23:54   #20
Time Bandit

Talking about Amiga Joker ( i have all of them ), somebody has the linke to the Joker Verlag Memorial Page??

thanx

Last edited by Time Bandit; 02 November 2001 at 00:39.