English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 October 2015, 12:51   #1
Dahman

Unhappy Amiga 600 rev. 1.5 port 2 joystick up-left issue

Seems to be an known issue but no one have a solution. In my Amiga 600 rev 1.5, my joystick in port 2 is acting up. Basically, when I press up, it registers up-left with high frequency. I use a a604n, but the issue persists even without it. I tested voltage on U34 and it was 4.92, so no point of changing PSU, nevertheless I tested it anyway on three different ones (brick, light, homemade pcs). There is not damage on the board, no capacitor leaked, etc. Do you know anyone who had that problem and managed to fix it?
Old 07 October 2015, 13:04   #2
demolition
Unregistered User

Still have the same issue in one of my 600s while the other one is fine. I never found a fix for it though, so I would also like to know more about this if anyone has some insight.
Old 07 October 2015, 13:04   #3
amigoun

I had the same problem in the past on 2 of my mobos (were rev 1.5 also) but only when A603 / A604 was connected. As I did not managed to find any solution, I had to buy another mobo that finaly worked fine.
Old 07 October 2015, 13:25   #4
demolition
Unregistered User

Just to recap what I know about the issue so far (what Dahman probably have read elsewhere):

My A600 with the issue is a Rev 2, while the other, Rev. 1.5, does not show the symptoms (I'm guessing revision is not relevant).

A low 5V line will make the issue worse. Thus adding expansions like additional memory, Indivision, accelerators etc. can make it worse or 'tip it over the edge' so it starts showing the symptoms. Increasing the PSU 5V line to etc. 5.2V if possible might be a fix for some to compensate for the voltage drop.

Heat might affect the issue. In mine it seems to become worse after a little while.

A full recap did not improve this issue. I also added significant additional decoupling capacitors to the 5V line beneath the CPU, at the expansion port and beneath the floppy power header. Also no improvement.

It seems to me like it could be a timing issue since the two signals are multiplexed together by U34 in time slots controlled by CCKQ_A and one signal is leaking into the other when decoded. Maybe messing with the RC values of E128 could help since it will change the timing of the CCKQ_A signal. Or perhaps the problem is internally in Denise. I am not sure which clock signal Denise is using to separate the signals, but it is not connected to CCKQ_A. I am guessing CCK. I am adding sockets to one of my 600 board, so could then test various Denise chips to see if it follows the IC. It could also be U34 or E371. My best guess would be to tweak E371 and/or E128 to see if this changes the issue. I have not had time to do this yet though (too many projects ).

Edit: I have not heard about anyone having this issue on other Amiga models, so it would be nice to know if it only happens on the 600. If it is A600 only, that might also give clues as to finding the culprit.

Last edited by demolition; 07 October 2015 at 14:57.
Old 07 October 2015, 15:55   #5
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigoun View Post
I had the same problem in the past on 2 of my mobos (were rev 1.5 also) but only when A603 / A604 was connected. As I did not managed to find any solution, I had to buy another mobo that finaly worked fine.
I have seen this issue before and it was a dirty edge connector.
Very wierd. This is what the original OP described, when we were contacted (guessing its the same person).

Happening without A604n, could be cap leakage. Audio circuit is aweful for leaking caps. just above joy ports and edge connector.
Ive had cap leakage cause a simular issue, in the past. However normal issue is taking 1 hour + to turn on.
Old 07 October 2015, 16:19   #6
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Yup, also had this problem. My was rev 2D. Never managed to solve it. It died completely after a while.
Old 07 October 2015, 16:32   #7
Daedalus

Have you measured the voltage of the "up" line in the joystick or inside the port (pin 1)? it should be pretty much 0 when you press up. Also, left (pin 3) should be close to 5V and not change when you press up. Also, check for any cracked joints or foreign material around the multiplexer chip (U34) and Denise. There are a number of pull-up resistors and such involved. It's possible the chip itself if faulty or has a bad input - a high frequency signal like that can be caused in these cases. If you have a scope, check out the clock and output lines of U34 and see if the signals coincide.
Old 07 October 2015, 16:45   #8
demolition
Unregistered User

I have tried adding an extra pull up on the left signal to make the pull up twice as strong (half resistance). No effect.

My board was very clean since it went through the dishwasher as part of the recapping. Using a continuity checker there did not seem to be any shorts between up/left. I have not checked the signals on a scope yet though. I do find it curious that everybody seems to have the problem with up/left and never with down/right.
Old 07 October 2015, 16:59   #9
Daedalus

Yep, and having looked at the multiplexer, the multiplexed signals are up+down, not up+left as would give an issue. Still suspicious of the multiplexer though, would need to give it a look with a scope to get a better idea...
Old 07 October 2015, 17:12   #10
demolition
Unregistered User

On my schematic, pins 1A and 1B on U34 is connected to pins 1/3 which is FORWARD and LEFT. 2A and 2B goes to BACK and RIGHT, so it is indeed FORWARD and LEFT which is multiplexed together.
Old 07 October 2015, 20:37   #11
Daedalus

Apologies, you're right - pins 2 and 3 cross over and I didn't spot that during my brief look earlier. That does sound more like a malfunctioning multiplexer then, though it could still be Denise.
Old 08 October 2015, 13:04   #12
amigoun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
I have seen this issue before and it was a dirty edge connector. Very wierd. This is what the original OP described, when we were contacted (guessing its the same person).
That was not my case, I also cleaned the connector but did not help.
But I believe I was the first who experienced the problem some 5 years ago. You kindly exchanged my A603 and I had some mails exchanged with Jens, but he did not know either what could be causing the problem.
Old 08 October 2015, 19:03   #13
Dahman

This must be the biggest mystery in Amiga 600 world :P Later this month I should have an opportunity to test another A604n. It's just a bummer that such a fine piece of machine has such a game breaking glitch. Any former commodore engineers on board?
Old 08 October 2015, 20:40   #14
fgh

I had the joystick stuck up/left on my r1.5. It was fixed by changing the U34 as already suggested above.

Here are some troubleshooting tips I got from one of the gurus:
U34 (74LS157) is most likely, or components between U34 and port.
It is 99% guaranteed if joystick signals in input side of U34 are correct. Use DMM to check them.
It can't be problem in output side of U34 because it would also affect the mouse port. (joystick in mouse port would also have exact same problem)
Old 08 October 2015, 22:39   #15
demolition
Unregistered User

Maybe I should try to replace U34 to see if it can solve the problem.

I don't remember if the problem exists on both joy ports, but the mouse pointer 'jitters' when it should be still, so I figured that was related to the joystick problem. I need to pull the 600 out and revisit this problem.
Old 09 October 2015, 14:05   #16
Dahman

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Maybe I should try to replace U34 to see if it can solve the problem.

I don't remember if the problem exists on both joy ports, but the mouse pointer 'jitters' when it should be still, so I figured that was related to the joystick problem. I need to pull the 600 out and revisit this problem.
it only affects port 2, port 1 joystick is fine. Are u34 available to buy? demolition, let us know if replacing worked for yours
Old 09 October 2015, 14:59   #17
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahman View Post
it only affects port 2, port 1 joystick is fine. Are u34 available to buy? demolition, let us know if replacing worked for yours
I think this should be the one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/74LS157D-SMD...item1c33e514af
Old 07 July 2016, 23:59   #18
amigoun

I seem to be very lucky on this issue The third 1.5 mobo I got has this issue (occurs only when A604n connected). That particular mobo was already recapped. I am very curious if anyone will some day solve this.
Old 08 July 2016, 00:18   #19
demolition
Unregistered User

I can add that I did try to replace U34 with a new IC and it didn't fix it.
Old 10 September 2016, 16:31   #20
Spacemonkey

Hi

I have the same problem on my Amiga 600
Bare 600 OK
604 + RTC + ECS Problem
604 + RTC Problem
604 + ECS Problem
604 OK

Amiga 600 V1.5 board
ECS Firmware 1.0.1 & 1.10

Last edited by Spacemonkey; 11 September 2016 at 14:39.