English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 16 June 2013, 14:07   #1
Leandro Jardim
Registered User
Leandro Jardim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Legoland
Age: 39
Posts: 1,232
Converting bookmarks from Firefox to IBrowse?

How you guys, copy your Firefox bookmarks between it and IBrowse and AWeb?

Well, I found a tool (http://aminet.net/package/comm/www/BookCon and http://www.onyxsoft.se/download-utilities.html) that does this job...

Unfortunately IBrowse doesnt handle the UTF8 encoding used by the bookmark generated by Firefox, and the tool on that link doesnt either...

I would like to convert everything, but how I do it?

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 16 June 2013 at 17:35.
Leandro Jardim is offline  
Old 16 June 2013, 18:22   #2
Leffmann
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,162
I don't know of any tool to do it automatically, but using any decent text editor to convert it to Latin 1 (ISO 8859-1) should take care of it.
Leffmann is offline  
Old 17 June 2013, 13:01   #3
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

DrBong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
How you guys, copy your Firefox bookmarks between it and IBrowse and AWeb?

Well, I found a tool (http://aminet.net/package/comm/www/BookCon and http://www.onyxsoft.se/download-utilities.html) that does this job...

Unfortunately IBrowse doesnt handle the UTF8 encoding used by the bookmark generated by Firefox, and the tool on that link doesnt either...

I would like to convert everything, but how I do it?
To convert Firefox bookmarks to Amiga browser bookmarks, you might try something like this........

(1) Export/convert your Firefox bookmarks to HTML via the menus:

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/...up-or-transfer

(2) Convert your HTML file to bookmarks for use with Amiga browsers using URL Manager or something similar on Aminet:

http://aminet.net/search?query=hotlist

To achieve the reverse (i.e. convert Amiga browser bookmarks to Firefox bookmarks), you might just do this.......

(a) Convert your Amiga browser bookmarks to HTML using URL Manager or something similar on Aminet:

http://aminet.net/search?query=hotlist

(b) Import your HTML file using Firefox to create bookmarks for it:

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/...bookmarks-html

I'm at work and can't try any of this right now.......so please let me and the other EAB peeps know if this works or is helpful.

Last edited by DrBong; 17 June 2013 at 14:29.
DrBong is offline  
Old 17 June 2013, 15:07   #4
Leandro Jardim
Registered User
Leandro Jardim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Legoland
Age: 39
Posts: 1,232
Sorry DrBong, but for my case it not works, I hope that it can work for someone else.

Some of my bookmark entries uses accents in many words and Firefox writes the HTML file with UTF8 encoding and all converters I have found does not handle this format well.

You see, these converters are very old and are coded to convert only the bookmarks written with the classic Netscape, and not the "newer" Firefox.

Your help with this issue is much appreciatted.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 17 June 2013 at 15:22.
Leandro Jardim is offline  
Old 17 June 2013, 15:51   #5
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

DrBong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
Sorry DrBong, but for my case it not works, I hope that it can work for someone else.

Some of my bookmark entries uses accents in many words and Firefox writes the HTML file with UTF8 encoding and all converters I have found does not handle this format well.

You see, these converters are very old and are coded to convert only the bookmarks written with the classic Netscape, and not the "newer" Firefox.
Hmmmm.......what if you edit the converted HTML file and insert the accents and other special characters by hand (using a guide like the one below)?

http://www.utexas.edu/learn/html/spchar.html

I know it's a bit long-winded, but would it help any??!!
DrBong is offline  
Old 22 June 2013, 10:30   #6
Leandro Jardim
Registered User
Leandro Jardim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Legoland
Age: 39
Posts: 1,232
No unfortunately, the bookmark is really big. Even worse is that I verified and none of the programs I have tested converts the file entirely -- there is always something that is lost, has accents or not.

So there are now three problems, the UTF-8 encoding, the HTML accents (both are not the same thing, now I know) and worse, the lost bookmark entries that I have now.

Thanks by all the help DrBong!

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 23 June 2013 at 03:48.
Leandro Jardim is offline  
Old 22 June 2013, 23:01   #7
thomas
Registered User
thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 5,681
I am going to write a converter from IE exported favourites to MOS OWB bookmarks. Shouldn't be too difficult to adapt it to different input and output formats. That UTF-8 thingy makes it a bit harder, though. I planned to write it in ARexx but for UTF-8 conversion I'd probably need codesets.library and IIRC it has no ARexx interface, so I might change to C. If you are a bit patient you might try the result.

The big question is however: are all those characters with accents you use contained in the Amiga's ISO-8859 character set?
thomas is offline  
Old 23 June 2013, 03:46   #8
Leandro Jardim
Registered User
Leandro Jardim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Legoland
Age: 39
Posts: 1,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
I am going to write a converter from IE exported favourites to MOS OWB bookmarks. Shouldn't be too difficult to adapt it to different input and output formats. That UTF-8 thingy makes it a bit harder, though. I planned to write it in ARexx but for UTF-8 conversion I'd probably need codesets.library and IIRC it has no ARexx interface, so I might change to C. If you are a bit patient you might try the result.

The big question is however: are all those characters with accents you use contained in the Amiga's ISO-8859 character set?
Wow, thats really a nice thing to hear today!

I mentioned that the text is UTF-8, but I let a bit ambiguous about the accents of the words, sorry, they are written with plain HTML entities.

The problem with the other converters, is that the HTML entities are not converted to their ISO-8859 analogue and IBrowse then shows that ugly HTML "codes" together with the bookmark titles.
Leandro Jardim is offline  
Old 23 June 2013, 17:49   #9
thomas
Registered User
thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 5,681
First test version.

Needs OS 3.5+ or ClassAct http://aminet.net/dev/gui/classact33.lha
and codesets.library http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/codesets-6.15

Can read AWeb hotlist or HTML bookmarks file (tested with Firefox exported bookmarks.html, IE exported bookmark.htm and IBrowse-Hotlist.html).

Can write AWeb hotlist, IBrowse hotlist or MorphOS OWB bookmarks.html.

Groups are automatically split after 32 links for IBrowse and OWB because Amiga menus don't support more then 32 items.

Converts UTF-8 to default codeset if HTML file contains a META tag with charset=UTF-8 and codesets.library is available.

Converts HTML accents to the respective characters (note that saved bookmark files are not valid HTML because of this, but you asked for it).

Last edited by thomas; 25 June 2013 at 17:28.
thomas is offline  
Old 23 June 2013, 20:39   #10
Leandro Jardim
Registered User
Leandro Jardim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Legoland
Age: 39
Posts: 1,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
First test version.

Needs OS 3.5+ or ClassAct http://aminet.net/dev/gui/classact33.lha
and codesets.library http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/codesets-6.15

Can read AWeb hotlist or HTML bookmarks file (tested with Firefox exported bookmarks.html, IE exported bookmark.htm and IBrowse-Hotlist.html).

Can write AWeb hotlist, IBrowse hotlist or MorphOS OWB bookmarks.html.
...
I tested it now and works very well for both my A-Web and IBrowse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
...Groups are automatically split after 32 links for IBrowse and OWB because Amiga menus don't support more then 32 items...
Ah, I see it. Well, it works nicely this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Converts HTML accents to the respective characters (note that saved bookmark files are not valid HTML because of this, but you asked for it).
Perfect, thanks to hear my suggestion!

Now, both AWeb and IBrowse hotlists are shown like it should be, with all the proper accents.

I should thank you for all the consideration you have for the users of your programs, and mainly the Amiga community.

Everyone that uses AWeb, OWB or IBrowse should help thomas to finish this tool by trying it at least one time and sending bug reports (if there is any!). After all, you will need to use it one day, sooner or later! And its the only tool that get this job done.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 24 June 2013 at 11:45.
Leandro Jardim is offline  
Old 24 June 2013, 12:41   #11
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

DrBong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
No unfortunately, the bookmark is really big. Even worse is that I verified and none of the programs I have tested converts the file entirely -- there is always something that is lost, has accents or not.

So there are now three problems, the UTF-8 encoding, the HTML accents (both are not the same thing, now I know) and worse, the lost bookmark entries that I have now.

Thanks by all the help DrBong!
No problems mate! Glad to see that Thomas was able to quickly knock up a utility for you to painlessly convert bookmarks containing accents!
DrBong is offline  
Old 25 June 2013, 02:56   #12
Leandro Jardim
Registered User
Leandro Jardim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Legoland
Age: 39
Posts: 1,232
Nice, DrBong.

Thomas, one thing, though: the character conversion is near perfect, the only thing yet to be done is that the character "aposthrofe" gets translated to the number nine "9", and not to the proper punctuation mark.
Leandro Jardim is offline  
Old 25 June 2013, 17:28   #13
thomas
Registered User
thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 5,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
the character "aposthrofe" gets translated to the number nine "9", and not to the proper punctuation mark.
Yes, you are right. Accents in the form &#nnn; were mistakenly interpreted as hexadecimal and not decimal. Should be fixed now.
Attached Files
File Type: lha HotCon.lha (9.9 KB, 46 views)
thomas is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Firefox on Amiga has arrived!!! DDNI Amiga scene 13 18 February 2012 14:00
Firefox 4 Error killergorilla project.EAB 19 06 May 2011 22:23
Firefox for Amiga OS now available! Pyromania Amiga scene 17 14 June 2010 22:12
Firefox 3 Download matthew News 29 23 June 2008 09:38
The Bookmarks & Favourites Thread!! Fred the Fop Retrogaming General Discussion 23 10 October 2002 14:25

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.07815 seconds with 14 queries