English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 10 December 2018, 20:32   #1
Puni/Void

Amiga Model X – Status Update

Hello there,

The two Norwegians behind Amiga Model X has now released a status update concerning the project. The most important news here is that they will let go of the idea of making hardware and focus on the front-end instead.

https://oldschoolgameblog.com/2018/1...status-update/
Old 10 December 2018, 21:31   #2
DamienD
Banned

So watched the video as I've never heard of this before.

Quite an impressive front-end and clearly a lot of work has gone into it's design / setup etc...

...but, then they start talking about monthly subscription costs and that it has to be viable... so to me this whole project seems to be about making money.

I'm sorry, but you are using files / magazine / images etc. available everywhere that others have worked hard to make accessible and you want to charge people just for using these in your snazzy front-end?

People still need to acquire the files themselves anyway...

...and then let's move onto the emulators that will be used. Are they going to be paying Toni, Frode or any other Amiga emulator author royalties for using their product in the front-end that they will be making money off?

Last edited by DamienD; 10 December 2018 at 22:00.
Old 10 December 2018, 22:01   #3
Romanujan

I can't play the video. Well, doesn't matter, if they are not going to release this wonderful keyboard, the project is now useless to me.
Old 11 December 2018, 10:27   #4
RatKam

So it's basically a Winuae frontend now?

Old 11 December 2018, 13:15   #5
sokolovic

The interesting thing is what they say about Amiga IP holders. The project didn't went hardware because there was an impossibility to licence both Amiga's logo and the kickstarts.
Seems that my dreams of a brand new all in one Amiga will never appears, thanks to IP holders greed.

I would also have preferred an Amiga badged new keyboard (COMPLETE kb, not just a case) than a frontend...
Old 11 December 2018, 15:26   #6
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

It's really hard to believe it wasn't possible to licence Kickstarts for them.
Old 11 December 2018, 15:42   #7
sokolovic

The problem seems to license both kickstarts AND the Amiga logo, which have different IP holders.
I guess if they decided to go to the Frontend road, they have at least licensed the kickstarts.
Old 11 December 2018, 18:47   #8
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
So watched the video as I've never heard of this before.

Quite an impressive front-end and clearly a lot of work has gone into it's design / setup etc...

...but, then they start talking about monthly subscription costs and that it has to be viable... so to me this whole project seems to be about making money.

I'm sorry, but you are using files / magazine / images etc. available everywhere that others have worked hard to make accessible and you want to charge people just for using these in your snazzy front-end?

People still need to acquire the files themselves anyway...

...and then let's move onto the emulators that will be used. Are they going to be paying Toni, Frode or any other Amiga emulator author royalties for using their product in the front-end that they will be making money off?
This.
Old 13 December 2018, 14:10   #9
ROM

Looks like a nice Front-end, I did like the magazine feature but obviously they would need to license those too no? For me its just another front end and reminds me of launchbox or one of the other front ends out there which I can do all my emulation in if i choose to vs this one that only does Amiga. I already have my emulator that i only use when i want to just play a quick game. I mainly use my real 500 to play my games other than that for me i don't see a need for another emulator/frontend. Wish them luck on their project.
Old 13 December 2018, 17:22   #10
Romanujan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
The interesting thing is what they say about Amiga IP holders. The project didn't went hardware because there was an impossibility to licence both Amiga's logo and the kickstarts.

I don't believe it. This could have been worked around easily, by using AROS ROM replacement and allowing users to use original Kickstart if they supply one. Or event don't provide the ROM at all. Besides, the emulator was to be running within this fake power supply (probably a Raspberry Pi case), and the logo would have been printed/embossed on the keyboard - so, they could sell them as separate devices, which means another possible workaround.
Old 13 December 2018, 23:14   #11
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

I have zero interest in a front end. For me it's about the hardware. If a new wedge shaped keyboard/case had been produced to house either old or new Amiga hardware, anywhere from an original motherboard through to the standalone Vampire, then I would have been excited.
Old 15 December 2018, 13:15   #12
Romanujan

I suspect they never really intended to manufacture the hardware, they just added the renderings to the initial announcements to attract more attention to their project.

But when the typical reaction was: "I don't care about the emulator, but this keyboard is simply wonderful!" the situation got... complicated.
Old 15 December 2018, 13:20   #13
lesta_smsc

I have to side with DamienD on this.

A nice concept, but I don't believe there should be charge for essentially providing a GUI for what seems to run off the hard work of fellow developers who have not formally requested monetary recompense. As a 'fan' project it is fine. I appreciate the hard work that must go in to generating something like this but it is best done without remuneration although a donate page I suppose is acceptable to contribute to the ongoing development.
Old 15 December 2018, 21:04   #14
Gzegzolka

Very nice looking front-end for emulation purposes if there's was some kind of professional Amiga "mini" project I see this fits it's perfect. Graphics looks good, navigation also looks simple and fast. I wonder what they provide and what needs to be uploaded - adfs, pdfs, backgrounds videos? I understood that authors want money for it, and I hope they have also resolved legal stuff with whoever additional stuff they use.
Old 19 December 2018, 22:43   #15
Marchie

I hope they get something going, in whatever form. Good luck to them.