English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 19 August 2009, 08:25   #1
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
Weird HIGHGFX / Indivision Glitch w/fix

First off, this is NOT an indivision AGA problem but rather a weird thing I noticed with my particular HIGHGFX / Dell W1700 monitor combo and a utility called "bblank"

For some reason I removed the BBLANK utility from WBSTARTUP which would normally just put the grey "borders" around the edges of the workbench screen. Well on my system these borders actually caused the monitor to go off into some weird darkened colour madness similar to what an improper pixel clock setting might do. I thought the monitor was going out until I realized it was just the presence of these borders that I had forgotten about.

Then I got to thinking. Without this BBlank utility, I don't think the indivsionAGA / HighGFX combo would have ever worked correctly on this monitor. I wonder if others that are having problems getting full 1024X768 on picky LCD monitors like this might benefit from this utility?

I don't know where I got it, but I initially used it in multiscan productivity mode to get rid of the grey borders and just carried it over with the Indivision board.

Anyway, long rambling post to a question nobody asked but maybe someone out there can benefit from it.
Old 19 August 2009, 20:11   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by illy5603 View Post
...maybe someone out there can benefit from it.
Hi illy5603,

Maybe you could upload it to the Zone or attach it to a post in this thread for other Indivision users to play with.
Old 20 August 2009, 01:07   #3
illy5603

Here it is.

It says it is a WB3.0 border blank utility but it looks like it is needed for me at least on 3.1. There are probably other utilities or packages that have this feature built in.

I am using classicWB which I don't believe contains such a util, but then again I don't know what half of the utilities do anyway as I last studied up on Amiga applications in 1995...

So yeah, basically I had my monitor stretched out to the max (no borders) and by removing the bblank utility and having the borders come back it caused my monitor to flip out and think the screen mode was wrong or something.

End result = Using bblank, indivisionAGA default settings and my monitor's control panel, I have a perfectly centered, grey border free display.
Old 20 August 2009, 05:36   #4
NovaCoder

What version of the Indivision firmware are you running BTW, this sounds similar to an old issue I heard about a while ago.
Old 20 August 2009, 06:00   #5
illy5603

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
What version of the Indivision firmware are you running BTW, this sounds similar to an old issue I heard about a while ago.
1.5 - But I don't know if this is really an issue with anything other than it adding extra "graphics" to the screen that I think my monitor was trying to, how do explain it, "wrap around" because they went past the edge of the monitor.

I just wonder how many people with Indivision "Problems" have tried blanking these borders?
Old 20 August 2009, 06:54   #6
NovaCoder

Well as you know 1.5 is the latest so you're ok there