English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Looking for a game name ?

Old 19 July 2007, 18:26   #21
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
You could also try doing a search in the Arcade History database for "Shooter".

The only problem is that the search will include platformers, shoot 'em ups etc as well. They should really break it up into more sub genres.
I think MAWS would be a better place to do this search. It's a complete on-line version of the MAME source code with screenshots, game ratings and lots of added information from various .dat files. Kind of the HOL of MAME.

(Of course if the game isn't emulated in MAME it won't be on the site).

Try the 'deluxe search' if you really want to get down to the nitty gritty..

www.mameworld.net/maws

/edit.. sorry Konrad I missed your post. Anyway..MAWS can't be recommended enough times..
Old 19 July 2007, 18:30   #22
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Another one of my favorite games. It's called Fighting Fantasy / Hippodrome

THATS THE ONE!!!.... Your brilliant Damien ... It seems chatting to you after all this time, that we have very similar memories in gaming
Old 19 July 2007, 23:32   #23
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sune Salminen View Post
I think MAWS would be a better place to do this search. It's a complete on-line version of the MAME source code with screenshots, game ratings and lots of added information from various .dat files. Kind of the HOL of MAME.
The Arcade History website is not a bad option as this is where the MAME history.dat file comes from. You can also see images

...but you guys are correct, MAWS is better though. It even has the option to break the "genre" down by using "category"

@ancalimon: try leaving the "genre" field as default but change the "category" to Shooter / Walking. This will give you 105 results to look through

I had a quick scan, there was a 4 Player game which maybe the one your after although horizontal play? Desert Assault / Thunder Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
It seems chatting to you after all this time, that we have very similar memories in gaming
Old 20 July 2007, 03:13   #24
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:

I had a quick scan, there was a 4 Player game which maybe the one your after although horizontal play? Desert Assault / Thunder Zone

OH MY GOD!!!! You found the game The first time I saw it I knew this was it. I'll just download it and have a look How did you do it :P

Hmmm on second thought I think the game changed scrolling directions from time to time anyway I'll just try it. Thanks for your help!
Old 20 July 2007, 10:50   #25
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancalimon View Post
OH MY GOD!!!! You found the game The first time I saw it I knew this was it. I'll just download it and have a look How did you do it :P
Hehehe...

Well, after doing the deluxe search via MAWS and changing the "category" to "Shooter / Walking" there were just 105 results to look through... Most of the games I knew so only had to click on the few that I didn't know of. "Desert Assault" / "Thunder Zone" was one of these few and when I saw that it was 4 players as well I thought it had a good chance of being the game you're after

My arcade game knowledge is pretty good. I've been playing them extensively from about 8 years old until 18 years old at corner stores / milkbars etc. There was also a bowling centre near my house that had 30+ cabinets and would get changed every month or so... Finally, I've been using MAME since it was created in 1997 and discovered loads of cool gems that I'd missed.

As mentioned above, I've never seen / played "Desert Assault" / "Thunder Zone" before... Looks pretty cool, when I'm back from holidays I'm definitely going to give it a bash

Last edited by DamienD; 20 July 2007 at 11:21.
Old 13 February 2008, 00:13   #26
ancalimon
Supernormal

I just found the game! It is called Thunder Zone. I think it is my favourite game
DamienD: I didn't see Thunder Zone in your reply and just checked Desert Assault before.
Old 13 February 2008, 01:44   #27
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancalimon View Post
I just found the game! It is called Thunder Zone. I think it is my favourite game
DamienD: I didn't see Thunder Zone in your reply and just checked Desert Assault before.
I thought we had already found it... ROFL

You do know that they are in fact the same game, just different regions don't you?

Updated the thread title anyway