English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 01 February 2003, 05:19   #1
oldpx

Amiga on Wired

I found this link on UAE discussion board, still a funny place with trolls and idiot questions

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,57023,00.html

Check number 9!

Old 01 February 2003, 05:23   #2
oldpx

Quote:
6. NVidia's GeForce FX graphics card:
This isn't vaporware by the way. It'll be the best 3d chip on the market really soon.

Old 01 February 2003, 06:38   #3
APFelon
Cable Buyer

Re: Amiga on Wired

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg
I found this link on UAE discussion board, still a funny place with trolls and idiot questions

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,57023,00.html

Check number 9!
9. The new Amiga: Earlier this year, fans of the Amiga were in a tizzy about the prospect of a revival of the comatose platform: Both new machines and a new operating system were promised. Suffice it to say, neither are readily available.

"Some retailers and the Amiga website are taking orders for systems, but 'selling' and 'shipping' are two very different things," wrote reader Russ Van Winkle.

Swift Griggs added: "I've heard promises now for three years. Amiga Inc. has delivered nothing but lies and hot air now for three years, just like everyone who has come before them in the post-Commodore Amigan holocaust."

Lies and hot air...

About time the pundits acknowleged this. Ever since my old ISP was contacted for posting shareware on a newsgroup, I knew Amiga, INC was full of shit. They were even shutting down sites for a while... SPANISH sites that had the audacity to mention "AMIGA"...

What ever happened to Gary Peake? I always wanted to tussle his hair.

Oh, and MOO3 went gold last week.
Old 01 February 2003, 07:09   #4
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg
This isn't vaporware by the way. It'll be the best 3d chip on the market really soon.
Perhaps, we shall see if it can match and/or beat the ATi Radeon 9700 Pro. Of course I hope this also means that ATi will not sit on their laurels as well and come out with an updated GPU.

I'm waiting for some good reviews from a number of sites, I usually like to look at Toms Hardware Guide first
Old 01 February 2003, 09:20   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
It'll be the best 3d chip on the market really soon.
Reviews are already out and they aren't too positive...
Old 01 February 2003, 13:42   #6
oldpx

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030127/index.html

Mostly faster than Radeon, this makes it the best chip today but not unbeatable.

Old 01 February 2003, 16:29   #7
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030127/index.html

Mostly faster than Radeon, this makes it the best chip today but not unbeatable.
Didn't Tom's say this was a pre-production or engineering sample? If so there could still be changes before the final production goes into the retail and distributor channels

One interesting thing about the new FX cards are the dual slot design. I've been doing this for years now, I always place an extra cooling fan or two under the graphics card for extra air movement. However I think this company as taken it to the extreme now:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/VGA/9700proult.asp

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and see, also look at the images page and get a closer look :eek
Old 02 February 2003, 18:44   #8
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

The only problem with this is it comes from Tom's Hardware 'the best biased reportage money can buy' - don't belive me? Ask Van Smith (vanshardware.com) one of the best and most honest tech journo's there has been, and a man who will not alter his belive's for cash.

Not only bounced from THG for saying (truthfully!) that a benchmark was flawed and biased in favour of Intel and the pentium, but that the company that made it, far from being independent, was infact paid and supported by Intel. BUT ALSO (and this is unforgivable) His articals were systematicaly re-edited with his credit removed from them! Which resulted in an article now credited to Dr Tom (from Germany), which begins with a reference to his Native Amaerican Grandfather!!! This is wholly unforgiveable, and is why I no longer belive THG as they have shown themselves willing to LIE FOR MONEY.

So can you still belive THG's reporting?

NO!

If THG wish to sue me for defamation, go right ahead. I can prove that everything I've said is the truth, and would welcome the opportunity to prove it in a courtroom.
Old 02 February 2003, 19:42   #9
oldpx

I wonder why ASUS motherboards win the tests ALL the time.

Old 02 February 2003, 20:09   #10
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
People are easily corruptable for a little cash, especially the ones with a big fat ego and no talent.

Anybody who believes everything thats in print or on a website should be shot. Use your brains people and check multiple sources.

As far as video chips go the crown gets passed to a new king every couple of years, always has and hopefull always will. I dont want to see 1 company owning any market or you will get crap like creative labs selling the same soundcard year after year.
Old 03 February 2003, 09:15   #11
front243

It's difficult to say anything about GFFX yet. The board tested was a pre-production board and the drivers were still beta drivers (the currently official drivers does not support GFFX).

Old 04 February 2003, 17:08   #12
Syko

Personally I don't think the Amiga One or the FX chip should be classed as vapourware, as the A1 was on sale before the end of last year, and the FX chip was being demoed to journos again before the start of the xmas hols last year.

So they both exist and one of them was available to buy (but not with OS4 ) - surely that means they're not vapour??? as that is something promised but never made...
Old 04 February 2003, 18:12   #13
th4t1guy

Tom's Hardware is biased, but you can't really make the assumption just because he prefers Intel to AMD. Hell, I prefer Intel to AMD myself (having owned several AMD machines; I think they're crap compared to Intel), but then it really determines what purpose you are buying the hardware for.

The problem with Tom's Hardware, is he already knows where he stands to begin with, and he'll just use statistics in a way to prove his point. For example, the Radeon vs. FX. Sure the radeon may pull ahead, but only in lower resolutions, which is what the radeon was optimized for. There's nothing really out there that takes full advantage of the FX, and probably the same with the Radeon. All Tom knows how to do is install Windoze, click the benchmark icon, and cut'n'past some pretentious terms into his article to make himself sound smart. He doesn't know jack about hardware, and it's reflected in his articles. Comparing hardware on a few tests doesn't really prove anything, since usually that hardware can be used for so much more, and a victory in one category doesn't neccessarily mean a victory in another. Unless all you plan to use your hardware for is that exact same thing that Tom does in his tests, I wouldn't even bother listening to him.
Old 04 February 2003, 18:31   #14
Syko

Sorry, but I've got to disagree there th4t1guy.

Dr Tom definately knows his hardware. I've been using THG as a professional reference point for the last 7 or 8 years, and found that until about 2.5 years ago it was as unbiased as it could reasonably be. Indeed Intel said they were biased in favour of AMD about 3 years ago. It is only in the last two years that he's revealed his true colours, and then only in the choice of s/w to use for testing, and additional information about how they do this.

As a guide to using and setting up h/w, THG is an excelent and very useful resource. As an unbiased tester of that h/w, the same cannot be said.

Unfortunatly his treatment of Van Smith is so far beyond reasonable that you do begin to wonder if he hasn't taken the last step into self-seeking, publicity fueled idiocy.
Old 04 February 2003, 21:18   #15
th4t1guy

When I say Tom doesn't know hardware, I'm not saying he can't set it up. I'm sure the guy is A+ certified and can fix windoze problems, overclock his geforce, flash his bios or whatever the hell it is he does.
However, I don't think he knows hardware well enough to point out what makes a better product and why. Instead he relies on benchmarking tests, which are often misleading. Just about all the technobabble on his site is almost always taken from another source. Just because he can click some buttons and graph the statistics doesn't really mean he knows what he's talking about. Never in his benchmarks does he try to stress the computer, which, if you want to know which product performs better, you pretty much have to do that. For example, if you are comparing two different brands of saws, you can say brand A is better if you notice it cut faster right out of the box. However, you give that brand A to a contruction worker, and when the blade breaks after a day or two, he'll be wondering why the hell you didn't get him brand B like he asked for. It's the same with Tom's Hardware. If you take a look at his statistics, it's always some ungoldy high framerate in some popular 3d program. But what good is that for the consumer? Does it really matter whether or not you get 150fps as oppsed to 130fps? I hope not. It usually only matters when the framerate drops down below 25fps, and suddenly you find yourself lowering the detail levels, or combing your sofa for extra cash for better hardware. Also, Tom never mentions the detail and rendering options set for benchmarking, which tend to make a huge difference in not only determining performance, but also videol quality. Usually when comparing different chipsets of 3d cards, this is a big factor, since not only do competive cards have different features, but some may perform a lot better than other using these features.
Old 04 February 2003, 21:33   #16
oldpx

Can you tell the full story about Van and Tom Syko?

Old 05 February 2003, 16:05   #17
jmmijo

I'm hoping I didn't inadvertently open up pandora's box on this one but I mentioned THG because I use it as a reference/guide like the site it, but I also visit a few others to see what they have to say. Can all sites be biased in their own way, well yes, because every person on earth has their own way of interpreting data and has their own prejudices and such.

As for this A+ certification, this really means diddly squat as far as I'm concerned. Because somebody knows how to take and pass tests then buys a piece of paper means they can do what ever this piece of paper says :eek I think not.

I've not found any need for certification for anything that I do and the fact that these so-called certified people come to me for answers just validates my point
Old 08 February 2003, 20:46   #18
oldpx

http://www.megagames.com/news/html/h...scrapgfx.shtml

We may not bother with FX after all

Old 08 February 2003, 21:34   #19
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
I wonder if NVIDIA is the next 3dfx, guess you cant be king of the hill forever
Old 08 February 2003, 21:47   #20
th4t1guy

I dunno how much validity I'd give that article. After all, Megagames is sponsered by by Fullsail, which John Romero frequently guest speaks at during classes. However, it's probably just a sales pitch for discounted overstock of Daikatana.