English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 31 December 2011, 14:03   #1
diablothe2nd

Lightbulb Idea for a simple music synced game for amiga

last night i had an idea for a really simple game, similar to Boom Boom Rocket on the xbox.

basically you have planet earth in the middle of the screen (would be nice in 3d, especially if we can orbit the camera and see other planets and the sun passing in the background), and various asteroids and other objects come towards the earth and you have to move the joytick/pad pad for it's direction and fire a missle at the right moment, not too close, not too far... all timed to music!

there would obviously be 8 directions for asteroids to shoot and some form of indicator (perhaps an accentuated ozone layer) to act as the sweet spot for when to time your shot. points are gained depending on how perfect the timing was and lost if the asteroid hits the earth. or maybe, have a limit as to how many asteroids hit, and change the landscape of the earth to a darker/burned tone the closer you get to oblivion.

same screen multiplayer could be done in much the same way as boom boom rocket, where the asteroids are coloured or have a coloured trail for the intended player.

perhaps add an editor for people to add their own Chiptune music with an asteroid editor for the community to share their own "levels"

in 2d I think this would be pretty darn simple to make... 3d, well i have no idea lol. multiplayer over tcp/ip? hmmmmm lol.

what do you guys think to the idea?! just as i was dozing off last night in bed, it came to me and woke me right up. had to write it down incase i forgot it in the morning haha!
Old 31 December 2011, 23:02   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Sounds good to me.

(BTW, did you watch 'Moonraker' recently? )
Old 31 December 2011, 23:13   #3
diablothe2nd

actually no! lol

I was watching Star Trek Voyager, but not an episode that would've triggered that thought.

I'm currently drawing a mock up "screenshot" of what i'm imagining the game would be like. perhaps might express my gibberish better
Old 01 January 2012, 00:10   #4
diablothe2nd

Ok, here's a "basic" couple of images showing the direction indicators (one selected) the angles of the comets/meteors/asteroids that might come. Finally, and image of the earth when you're just about to lose the game

Scoreboard needs to be added but not get in the way. if two people are playing then the illuminated indicator will be the colour of each player and each player has to only get their colour, or be penalised i guess, or some form of coop play, i've not thought about that much, just been thinking of the main single player mechanics.

whatcha think now that there's 2 thousand words worth of images?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Healthy Earth.png
Views:	251
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	30241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dead Earth.png
Views:	253
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	30242  
Old 01 January 2012, 00:21   #5
prowler
Global Moderator

Hey, that looks as if it could be quite addictive!
Old 01 January 2012, 00:30   #6
diablothe2nd

yeah! i was hooked on Boom Boom rocket for a while

I was thinking also, if going the 2d route... of adding more planets... or even open it up to the user base to be able to edit...

so basically extract the basic sprites, edit them to suit (like skin editing), put your mod music in and then use a separate editor (with a waveform display so you can sync it to the music) to tell it when and where to launch projectiles.

I'm thinking there'd need to be somewhere to put descriptions and what skill level it is, creator credits etc so people can simply download an LHZ and drop it in the custom levels folder or something.

Great way to promote your chip tunes and have a laugh listening to it :P
Old 01 January 2012, 00:41   #7
diablothe2nd

ZOMG I just thought of a title for it

"2012 - Amigeddon"

Cheesy I know, but it had to be done
Old 01 January 2012, 00:48   #8
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablothe2nd View Post
I was thinking also, if going the 2d route... of adding more planets... or even open it up to the user base to be able to edit...

so basically extract the basic sprites, edit them to suit (like skin editing), put your mod music in and then use a separate editor (with a waveform display so you can sync it to the music) to tell it when and where to launch projectiles.

I'm thinking there'd need to be somewhere to put descriptions and what skill level it is, creator credits etc so people can simply download an LHZ and drop it in the custom levels folder or something.
I'm not really an experienced gamer. Others will be able to make more useful observations.

Quote:
ZOMG I just thought of a title for it

"2012 - Amigeddon"

Cheesy I know, but it had to be done
Well it's certainly no worse than 'Carmageddon' was, for example.

Last edited by prowler; 02 January 2012 at 21:39.
Old 01 January 2012, 00:51   #9
diablothe2nd

haha true

edited that title to be "2012 - Amigeddon" so i guess december 2012 will have to be the latest for the release date

i'm currently thinking in psuedo code right now... perhaps it'll be enough for someone to help me with the code... OR suggest routes to code it myself. This might be the perfect idea to learn C or Blitz on!

Happy New Year for in 10 mins time.... watching the news now
Old 01 January 2012, 00:55   #10
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
i'm currently thinking in psuedo code right now... perhaps it'll be enough for someone to help me with the code... OR suggest routes to code it myself. This might be the perfect idea to learn C or Blitz on!
I'm no programmer either, but if you could draw up a flowcart, I should think that would help visualize the structure of the program.

And Happy Nrew Year to you too!
Old 01 January 2012, 01:14   #11
diablothe2nd

Good idea, i'll get on that tomorrow when my head has cleared from all the booze

edit - i mean today *hic* :P
Old 01 January 2012, 01:38   #12
diablothe2nd

Just writing this more for myself than anything...

Thought of a "health bar" which would be the count of the global population.

On easy mode missing an asteroid will kill say half a billion people (there's 7 billion people, so effictively 14 lives), on hard a billion (7 misses aloud before game over and total annihlation)

scoring i guess would be multiplied with higher difficulties.

finishing the stage/song would yield a bonus based on remaining population of the world.

was giving thought to what the 8 markers could be. I thought that they could either be a nuclear missle launch area (would need a missle launch animation coming from the earths surface) or have it as some form of satelite microwave grid which superheats the water inside the asteroids causing them to explode. the explanation of the latter would be that the earth only has enough spare power to activate one microwave grid at once for a split second which would add continuity to the reason for the zones. the former would simply be down to deployment time, and accuracy. too close and the fallout and objects wouldn't burn up... to far and the nuke would miss or only partially destroy the asteroid hence the reasons for perfect timing.

just some more clarification on controls. 8 direction joystick. point the joystick in desired direction which highlights the zone (none highlighted when joystick not pointed) then press fire to activate nuke/microwave array (indicator briefly turns orange for visual confirmation).
Old 01 January 2012, 01:51   #13
diablothe2nd

thoughts for some form of bonus, like in guitar hero when you get so many notes in a row. this tends to be the make or break point in terms of competitive scoring (timing when is best to use it):

perhaps some random alien could try and make a landing on earth (gotta add some humour or something to break the monotony) spins around the earth several times before heading for a random spot which you would destroy as per normal controls. kinda like a twitch reaction needed, and something to slightly distract you from the main focus of the game. The debris from the alien ship falls to earth and we managed to pinch enough super fuel from the ship to give say 20 secs of super power (or super nukes) to the array which then gives them a wider effective range. so you can be less accurate/lazy/paniccy and still get top score as if you nailed it spot on.

EDIT- to use the special power when you want, press fire without a direction being pushed

Last edited by diablothe2nd; 01 January 2012 at 01:58.
Old 01 January 2012, 23:49   #14
diablothe2nd

Could someone please tell me if they reckon this game would be viable to run from within Workbench? like in a new window/screen you can click out of/switch window from.

Or would it be too taxing on memory and the system?

colour depth could be both AGA and ECS I suppose but I guess it depends on ram? I guess the game wont be much more complex as Drip was, which ran from workbench.
Old 02 January 2012, 00:15   #15
diablothe2nd

ok i'm currently working on a mind map.

lets see if this live link works:

<iframe width="1024" height="768" frameborder="0" src="http://www.mindmeister.com/maps/public_map_shell/130729630/2012-amigeddon?width=1024&height=768&z=auto" scrolling="no" style="overflow:hidden"></iframe>

hmmm that didnt work.

Here's a link instead:

http://www.mindmeister.com/130729630/2012-amigeddon

perhaps a mod can help me with embedding the first link
Old 02 January 2012, 00:26   #16
prowler
Global Moderator

Hmm... The direct link is the only way. I can't see that frames are supported.