English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 20 March 2002, 07:29   #1
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Winuae 0.8.21 r2 speed issues

Like most guys, I was using Winuae 0.8.8 r9 for a long time, considering every new release of Winuae was slower and slower in my PC.

After hearing some good stuff about the new Winuae 0.8.21 r9 , I just downloaded...

I am gobsmacked by the new array of options, the sound is much better, and it doesn't seem to slowdown the emulation THAT much, and the emulator also deals with screen much better than before. And it's even a bit faster than the other versions..

But.. it's still rather slow, but I bet it has something to do with the fact I can't configure it properly. I also admit I only tested a few games, some work at a pretty decent speed (Ruff 'n' Tumble for example), other are just a bit slow (Battle Squadron) , and some are terribly slow (Jim Power).

If you guys could give me some tips to speed up the emulator (Even the most obvious tips, as I am completely stupid anyway ) , I would be really thankfull.
Old 20 March 2002, 08:12   #2
jmmijo

Hooooo

Shatterhand, you do mean r2 not r9 don't you

I just checked WinUAE thinking there were a few releases I had missed

EDIT: As for the speed I'll try out some games and see what happens on my system.

EDIT Part Deux they do seem a little stuttery, I think if I tweak the config some it will run faster or if I play these on my faster machine then it will run faster as well

Last edited by jmmijo; 20 March 2002 at 09:10.
Old 20 March 2002, 12:32   #3
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Yeah, R2 , not R9 ...

Yeah, I also agree a faster machine would help, but that´s something I can´t afford right now, so I´ll stick with my humble P233
Old 20 March 2002, 12:55   #4
thomas

Go to the CPU page, choose "Fastest possible" and move the JIT slider to the middle (about 4MB). 0.8.21 should be *much* faster than 0.8.8 when using Workbench on a Picasso96 screen. Choosing AGA chipset slows down things much, so use OCS where possible.

//admin: please don't use direct signature in your post, configure your UserCP instead.
Old 20 March 2002, 18:55   #5
jmmijo

or you can create your own custom config for each of these games and tweak the hell out of them
Old 21 March 2002, 04:09   #6
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

@thomas

thanks for the tip, I'll try out

@jmmijo

That's exact what I want to do, that's why I would like to know what things make games run faster, and what's the problem when using those things...
Old 21 March 2002, 05:34   #7
jmmijo

Well besides the obvious of getting an emu running on a faster platform, you can really see what happens when you adjust the screen resolution, it appears that Full Screen makes things go slower and can cause stuttering. Also adjusting the sound quality, i.e., from 48K down to 11k and from stereo to mono will help speed things up.

One thing that can also help on a slower machine is to have a faster GPU on your video card, i.e., something on par of a TNT2 or faster with at least 16MB or more of local frame memory. Be sure you have the latest drivers installed for all your devices, sound video and chipset!