Old 21 February 2006, 14:39   #21
Adderly
[Satan^God]

Send a message via ICQ to Adderly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamiga2002
Starfighter update - http://www.space.net.au/~geosync/tainment/sfp10991.lha
Use "save as..."
I cannot get the file from there. It will download, but the file is a piece of html code and not the update??? Can you please upload it to the Zone? Txs!
Old 22 February 2006, 13:32   #22
Captain_ Kal

I was contacted today by the author of Starfighter, and he mentioned me that he still sells the game. So I removed it from the Zone. I asked him for a link, so everyone who wants to play the game, can buy it legally.

Sorry about the inconvinience, guys.
Old 22 February 2006, 13:37   #23
Psychopsam

Erm... hate to be a pain, but I wrote Starfighter and I can't allow this game to be copied in this way. Please remove the scan as soon as possible.

But! I have the gold master, plus updates so if you want we can arrange a more agreeable method of distributing the game legally.

EDIT: Thanks Captain Kal - very honourable of you. I am very happy you did this so quickly. I know it's an old game, and I hope people like it for what it is, from the time and all that. I'll set something up for people to get the game if that's okay.
Old 22 February 2006, 14:58   #24
BippyM
Global Moderator

okay game removed from the zone (by Kal)

Our apologies for it being uploaded.
Old 22 February 2006, 15:16   #25
kriz

Very cool Psychospam (what a nick btw.) Who owns the right to the game now ? Info info info please
Old 22 February 2006, 16:42   #26
Captain_ Kal

For indipendent developers a paypal account is a very relliable way to get payment IMHO. In fact when I preordered X2 and X3, from Egosoft, I paid with PayPal.

By the way. Is it possible to run Starfighter in a higher resolution than the standard Amiga? (I mean 1024x768 or even 1280x1024 native , like using RTG Cards, not scalers)
Old 22 February 2006, 23:29   #27
Psychopsam

@kriz - it's Psycho Psam not spam (silent P's)... heh heh
Starfighter is owned by me since the copyright contract ended 12 months from the games release. I always wanted to upgrade the game to OpenGL (or the Amiga equiv) but the Amiga market kept dropping off.
@Capt. Kal - it was only ever written using the ECS screen rez - but does work on AGA as a backward compatible mode - and I guess the RTG modes work in emulation mode too.
Old 23 February 2006, 10:36   #28
kriz

Ohh hehe my bad But do you have any plans to release for the community or sell it again ?
Old 23 February 2006, 11:31   #29
Captain_ Kal

I tried Starfighters in WinUAE, and it works fine. I scale the resolutions up to 1280x1024, (LCD native resolution), so I think it looks better than a normal Amiga. (Yes, I know sacrilege ).

There seems to be an interest in your game. Speaking of myself, I would buy an updated version combatible with UAE, or even a conversion to PC. But I am a space combat/trading simulation fanatic , so my opinion is somewhat biased .
Old 28 February 2006, 02:58   #30
Psychopsam

Do people here want the original game again for a small fee or are you asking if I will re do the game engine and release it as Starfighter v2.0?
Old 28 February 2006, 10:05   #31
Captain_ Kal

Both!
Old 28 February 2006, 16:38   #32
Psychopsam

Ooo-kay then. So you said you wanted a UAE compatible version? I ran it on WinUAE and it works pretty well. What problems are you having? The gold master I have is version 1.j - what version did you buy?

Regarding the PC version. This will obviously take some time. The initial version will be a port of the missions, voices, music and storyline, but with a shader engine. The new version (should people show interest) will be something completely new and fresh - new missions, new ships, new combat styles - more trading - the Rogue Trader in the original never got much of chance to shop around.

Once I get some feedback on what's required for the UAE compat. version I'll do the required changes - if any... I think it's just a few Setpatch issues really... and then set up the account for purchases.
Old 28 February 2006, 19:40   #33
nujack
Zone Friend

I want to see an updated version with openGL under Warp3D. I only know the demo-version and want to see the full version with 3D-support on a real AMIGA. That would be fine.

@Psychopsam: Do you have started the the openGL-development before? Is it possible for you to implement warp3d-support or is it too much work?
Old 01 March 2006, 14:04   #34
Captain_ Kal

I believe OpenGL development is a very good idea, since it means that, it could be possible to convert this game, to different platforms (PC, Linux, Mac, Amiga, etc), and there is a market for indie space combat/trading simulations. (FYI look at these sites

http://starfighter.home.att.net/news...wsletter.htm#0

http://www.3000ad.com/home.shtml

http://www.hard-light.net/ )

@Psycopsam: My version is 1.k from Geosync Media. It starts with WinUAE ( I tested it), but I haven't played it yet.
Old 01 March 2006, 15:26   #35
kriz

i just want a legal download from you , the original game please
Old 01 March 2006, 16:10   #36
Psychopsam

Porting the game to Warp3d / Open GL support on the miggy isn't that trivial. It would take a long time - most of the assets could be used, however the 3d meshes would need to be remodelled. A lot of the game code could be ported, but graphic device based interface would need to be rewritten.

However it could be re-written in Torque, which wouldn't support the Amiga but would support the others (PC / Mac / Linux). What do you think?

In the meantime, I'll start testing the original game and provide a means for people to grab it as soon as possible.
Old 01 March 2006, 20:26   #37
Captain_ Kal

The torque engine sounds fine, if you can create a space combat engine out of it. It's very cheap, (100$) and you can legally distribute your games or even get GarageGames to offer a download service. Some thoughts on the Torque engine, and game design in general, can be found here:

http://www.rampantgames.com/blog/

This site also offers another indie space sim called Void War

http://www.rampantgames.com/

And finaly the Torque engine site:

http://www.garagegames.com/
Old 10 March 2006, 11:24   #38
Psychopsam

thanks for the Torque links. I've been using Torque for about 1 year now so I'm adept with it - well maybe not adept... but I have already thrashed out some code to run a space sim. StarFighter2 will be a long way off, but maybe I'll start a blog and you guys can beta test it as it gets developed.

I'll be looking at setting up a site for the original this weekend and will keep you posted. I have no secure way to keep the entire image online so I will be posting cd's to people instead if that's okay?
Old 13 March 2006, 15:38   #39
Psychopsam

Alrighty then. Ran some tests with Starfighter on WinUAE (latest) and it works on Workbench 1.3, 3.1 ROM, AGA chipset, 4 meg CHIP, 2 Meg Fast. 68040 seems to work the best.

Next I'll try it on another PC, then set up the web page.
Old 13 March 2006, 17:43   #40
nujack
Zone Friend

Could someone upload the SF-Patch to the Zone please?
I couldn`t find the Patch in the WWW and the game will not start on my A4000. ;O(
Thanks.

Bye

nujack