English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 October 2013, 00:57   #41
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
Akira, you seems to be a little depressed aren't you ?
Quite the opposite. But what is depressing is people still believing in this load f shit. This is just a sad attempt at getting anybody to pre-order copies for this SUB-PAR Wii-U game. I surely hope none of you do, but if there is actually the Amiga game in floppy and is given through preorders, I'd buy one so it would be donated to one of the crackers here to distribute it as far as it can go.
Old 11 October 2013, 08:30   #42
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Quite the opposite. But what is depressing is people still believing in this load f shit. This is just a sad attempt at getting anybody to pre-order copies for this SUB-PAR Wii-U game. I surely hope none of you do, but if there is actually the Amiga game in floppy and is given through preorders, I'd buy one so it would be donated to one of the crackers here to distribute it as far as it can go.
I don't have reserved the game... In fact, if there is really a completed version, I don't understand why they don't release it in a downloadable form.
How in the earth thez can think that an amiga downloadable version can disturb others versions ?

(same thing for Babylonians Twins btw)...
Old 11 October 2013, 10:35   #43
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

If you want to know what kind of a lying sleezebag piece of **** Mark Cale really is, here's what Arthur Van Jole (one of the C64 developers of Flimbo's Quest) had to say about him in the creator speaks section:

"Mark Cale (director of business at System3 at that time) found it NOT necessary to pay employees or pay off to contracts because his main priority was to drive around in VERY expensive hired cars like a Beamer 5 series or a Ferrari. We were still expecting to be paid about 8000 pounds in royalties (we had kept track of sales). After receiving many "ordered not to pay" cheques from mr. Cale, Laurens went to one of the many consumer electronics shows in England with a blown up version (about 1 meter long and half as high) of one of those non-covered-cheques and immediately found Mark Cale able to buy us out of our contract for 2000 pounds. Better 2000 then nothing."

The Hungarian guys that worked on The Last Ninja also seem to have been shafted by Mark. It disgusts me when he's waxing lyrical about sales figures of 5 million etc and then he rips people off.

I believe Mark fully kept the entire fiasco around Putty Squad going. He could have come out in the magazines at the time and announced that Alive Mediasoft did not have the game to distribute, or could have had it published through one of the bigger outfits left at the time (Ocean, Renegade etc) but I think it suited him just fine to anger the Amiga users and create a "long lost never released hit".

I've heard stories from others that he would often try and weasel his way out of paying the developers for their work and would offer his car as payment instead. No doubt the speedo would have been wound back or something, probably outstanding money owed on it or it wasn't even his to sell. That sounds just like "our Mark".

Many people have tried to contact him about Putty Squad and been completely ignored, including a few developers I have interviewed that actually worked at System 3!

So I reiterate that until someone on here has the actual game in their hot little hands, I don't believe a word out of his slimy mouth. I bet it's all a big publicity stunt for Retro Gamer. They should do a follow up when the game fails to materialise which it undoubtedly will.
Old 11 October 2013, 10:42   #44
Codetapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
He probably can't even get his hands on floppy disks to manufacture for the presales, and it makes no sense to say "here's the Wii version of the game, and here's 3 old 3.5" floppy disks for another system". Most people won't even know what an Amiga is.

We should spread the word to the Amiga community to ensure only ONE pre-order is made, and if he stands behind his word (yeah right) then he'd have to release it. I bet the Amiga version would mysteriously be forgotten about.
Old 11 October 2013, 11:10   #45
funK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
[Great post]
While I agree with you that Mark C. is most probably an *******, the thing that drives me mad is why John Twiddy, programmer of the Amiga version, wouldn't want to release its baby, one way or the other? He*still* is a developer at System 3 so he has to have the disks or access to the old build somewhere there.
I mean, if I were him I'd be proud of Putty Squad, and I'd do everything I can to make it public, leak it or even try to sell it for a high price. The fact that none of these has happened after all those years makes no sense.
Old 11 October 2013, 12:51   #46
manic23
Only Amiga!

You know what, when I read in Retro Gamer Magazine last night that Putty Squad was finally being released on the Amiga, i nearly fell of my chair, I could not believe what I was reading, Had I just stepped into a parallel universe I thought to myself?

My first instinctive reaction after reading this was to come on EAB and gauge reaction, I have to say I'm very surprised by the seemingly negative reaction to this news. A new game being released for the Amiga is a good thing... right? It's Putty Squad as well, why are people so negative about this? I for one am very very excited about this game being released for the Amiga after all this time and can't wait to get my hands on it. The new remake looks really nice too.
Old 11 October 2013, 12:58   #47
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by manic23 View Post
A new game being released for the Amiga is a good thing... right?
We all love to be proven wrong, but as it is for now there's no new old game released. It's all words and most of us here heard too many of those and saw too little happening especially from commercial companies over the years. Let's continue this once somebody has disks with Putty Squad on them. For now it's a rumour that was spread by a magazine, that's all.
Old 11 October 2013, 16:16   #48
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by manic23 View Post
why are people so negative about this?
Have you been reading? A LOT of us have been onto this game for YEARS, more than TEN years. Read up and realize what's going on. We're not being negative, we're being realistic, based of at least a DECADE of experiences.

People like you will go out and preorder a game on a false hope and get nothing, while giving money to scumbags like System 3.

Quote:
We should spread the word to the Amiga community to ensure only ONE pre-order is made, and if he stands behind his word (yeah right) then he'd have to release it. I bet the Amiga version would mysteriously be forgotten about.
As much as I agree, that's a very altruistic post. People will not manage to do this fantastic coordinated effort, and a lot of them will be like "dude SUPPORT THE AMIGA" and retarded shit like that. It'll never happen.

If the game indeed exists for people who pre-order, we will have a copy soon enough. Otherwise, I estimate a bunch of naïve people will be left empty-handed, or rather, with a copy of a shitty Wii U game.
Old 11 October 2013, 16:22   #49
Riempie
Amiga freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by funK View Post
While I agree with you that Mark C. is most probably an *******, the thing that drives me mad is why John Twiddy, programmer of the Amiga version, wouldn't want to release its baby, one way or the other?
This is what John wrote in 2002 (11 years ago!!). I still have his mails.

"Hi,

Don't worry, I have not forgotten about you - your email is at the top of my inbox.
I tried to find all the relevant stuff but all the data files are stored on some CD which was backed up from our old server and I keep putting off the task of manually looking through hundreds of CDs.
I will get around to it soon however.

Sorry for the delay.

John."

I haven't heard anything from him since then, so why would anyone else have the disks now....

I don't believe the game will be released. I even think the remake will never be released. They already promised the game for psp 2 years ago....

System3 is full of false promises...
Old 11 October 2013, 17:33   #50
MethodGit

Quote:
...it makes no sense to say "here's the Wii version of the game, and here's 3 old 3.5" floppy disks for another system". Most people won't even know what an Amiga is.
Unless he figures that the only sort of people likely to pre-order this would be Amiga fans aware of the game's chequered history. I can't see many newbies or fans of other platforming franchises willing to pre-order a Putty game out of actual interest.

But yes, I'm not going to hold my breath and see if Cale bothers to remember his own words...
Old 11 October 2013, 18:14   #51
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit View Post
Unless he figures that the only sort of people likely to pre-order this would be Amiga fans aware of the game's chequered history.
And therefore the ONLY way he would actually make a profit out of this pile of turd. Which, as said before, has been postponed MANY times for at least 2 other platforms.

If this guy makes a living out of lying, perhaps he should be a politician instead.
Old 12 October 2013, 07:20   #52
Codetapper

This whole thing stinks of those "buy a car and get a free television" style promos that are becoming more and more popular. He's banking on Amiga users buying a Wii version they don't need/want at a heavily inflated price just to get the Amiga version they really want.

If the collector's version is 5 pounds more with the "free" Amiga version, then surely they could have sold the Amiga version digitally at any stage in the last god knows how many year for probably 10 or 20 pounds without forcing people to get the version they don't want. This whole deal stinks.

There's already some people who have said they'll buy the game for the Amiga version on the Retro Gamer forum. Hopefully people will hold Mark Cale to his promise. And like Akira, I hope as soon as one person has this, it'll be cracked and spread like wildfire.

Incidentally, this "Amiga version will be released" thing has been going on since May this year, so it's now 6 months of publicity/hype to try and wring more money out of Amiga users who have been shafted over and over.
Old 12 October 2013, 14:40   #53
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittamituaki View Post
Just now I have read amiga.org putty thread.
There is some possibility of including A disk per a collectors edition,isn't there?
Someone suspects that it is just a demo disk, the same as old coverdisk.
If so, System3 is making a fool of us?
Well, wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittamituaki View Post
Or,
for example, I open a collectors edition then "2nd of 3" disk appears,
so I have to buy again for other 2 disks...
such as nightmare situation?
Lol, just like the Panini collectible stickers ? (I hope you have that in Japan, otherwise I will explain)

That would be funny but I really hope for their reputation that System 3 don't try something like that.
Old 12 October 2013, 15:08   #54
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Including the demo version would be mega awesome (as in taking false advertisement to a whole new level )
Old 13 October 2013, 10:04   #55
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Whoa! The demo version of Putty Squad! Me wants it and will pay for a crappy PS3, Xbox 36 etc. version to gets it!
Old 13 October 2013, 23:40   #56
Simmo76

For those who don't have access to this month's Retro Gamer, this is (what I consider) the pertinent question to Mark Cale and his reply:

'Q. Will there be an option to play the original Amiga version within it? [the 'new' Putty Squad]
A. As much as I'd like to say yes, I can't. Because I can do one better; we're going to release the Amiga version as part of the limited collectors edition. Better than just a download code, it's actually the original and fully complete Amiga version, and it's on 3.5" floppy disk. I can't wait to see people playing this at retro shows across the country, and I'm getting my Amiga out as soon as the disks come back from the manufacturer!'

So there you have it (according to RG).
Personally, I am with Akira, Codetapper and others of the opinion that I'll believe it when I actually SEE IT, and not before, but I thought it would be good if the EAB community saw the RG quote for themselves.
Old 15 October 2013, 00:42   #57
wilshy

As I've put in another thread let's wait and see eh? It might just be the full version and bam there you have it.

Although I suspect System 3 will be damned if they do or damned if they don't in many peoples eyes here. Shame really. I won't be one of those and just enjoy it for what it is hopefully.