English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: Elite or Freelancer ? Which was/is the better ?
Elite 20 60.61%
Freelancer 2 6.06%
Don't know 11 33.33%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17 June 2003, 14:54   #1
AmiGer

Exclamation Poll: Elite or Freelancer ? Which was/is the better ?

Hi

I'm playing freelancer at the moment. It reminds me of the good old elite...

What do you think ? Which is better respecting the release year ?

I came to the decision that elite is better... The gameplay is more flexible and it has no boring dialogs...
Old 17 June 2003, 15:22   #2
BippyM
Global Moderator

I haven't played Freelancer.. and I probs wont have the time to either
Old 17 June 2003, 15:43   #3
jmmijo

Kinda the same as Bippym here, I don't have too much time to play around with games much

Perhaps I'll have a look at Freelancer and see what it's like. I believe there is a demo of it somehwhere
Old 18 June 2003, 09:37   #4
Pyromania

Freelancer from Microsoft right? Elite is better.

Old 18 June 2003, 19:23   #5
th4t1guy

X: Beyond the Frontier was very similar to Elite 2 (haven't played the original Elite). The only problem was, a lot of what made Elite 2 fun (landing on planets, etc.) was taken out.

They're coming out with a new one called X2 which will supposedly be multiplayer. What I'm really looking forward to is Elite IV, which was supposed to come out years ago, but I guess it's suffering from Duke 4ever syndrome.
Old 18 June 2003, 23:20   #6
Drake1009

If you don't mind taking away the flight through space and still just want to keep the openness of the game and possibilities there's a game called hardwar. Found it through Home of the underdogs. Haven't played it too much though.

You're stuck on a planet flying through craters with buildings in it. Your ship is powered by the sun so you'd best have a battery if you plan on flying around at night. You can chose your career like you want to as a pirate, trader, gun for hire or other thing as you'd like. As far as I can tell the game was abandoned and is free to download now. The HOTU site links to a page with a mod for the game making it multiplayer. I'm guessing it'll be a bit like many other massive multiplayer games where people mind their own business but clash at times. For example pirates might be attacking trade ships.

Hey I don't know, I was just tossing into the elite like game discussion. I still prefer Sub-Culture for Elite like games. Much more child (and me) friendly.
Old 19 June 2003, 01:13   #7
Deadraque

Finished Freelancer and have to agree it wasn't to bad but hmmm nope can't beat Elite. Come on Braben please bring out our Elite 4... Especially they Braben seems to make it single then Multi but more as a MMORPG a bit like Earth & Beyond perhaps, could be nice, i just hope i wont be dead before it comes out ยต

Old 19 June 2003, 01:44   #8
Adeptus
epun umop ap!sdn

Maybe I'm missing something, but...
I only know of 2 Elite's - why is the (potential) next one Elite 4?
Old 19 June 2003, 02:28   #9
Deadraque

Well infact there was a Elite 3, but most fans prefer to forget the Existence of Elite 3 as it was probably the most bugged game ever made as it was like hmmm 45% finished, Gametek had to repay alot of people... so Elite Received patches and patches but was never able to gain the trust again of the Elite fans.

If you want a new game that does the same mistake it is Colin McRae 3 that was released last week, i waited alot for it, oh my god, don't waste your money people, read the Colin Mcrae forums first if you plan to buy it...

Old 19 June 2003, 09:26   #10
Drake1009

Elite 3 = first encounters?
Old 19 June 2003, 14:22   #11
Deadraque

Yep 2 was frontier 3th First Encounters.

Old 19 June 2003, 15:01   #12
woody57

Sad or what ?

I cannot deny that I am a dyed in the wool Elite fanatic and therefore highly prejudiced ! first encounters was a non starter for me , I think I may need professional help as I get so far into that one game that time ceases to exist outside it ! For anything else except sleep { ............ time for my medication now ?........ really I don,t want to go back in the straight jacket nurse ........ just let me fly one more mission ........ please.............. ]
Old 19 June 2003, 15:56   #13
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

As the man above I am a long running Elite fan and so my prejudice has leant me towards Elite, although freelancer was (in my oppinion) just as good
Old 20 June 2003, 23:54   #14
Deadraque

Sure that Freelancer is nice, it is beatifull and nice gameplay, but hmmm 16 hours and it is finished and if you go on as i did you finish with the titan fully loaded and went on each planet in a maximum of 30 hours. Freelancer also have another few negative points like Extreemly same kind of missions it is always the same thing, kill, kill, kill making it look a space doom. The merchandise dealing is completly useless, did you really do alot of business dealing goods? Nope because you beam non stop and when full you sell, so what's the points about making all this trade system? You can't join any Faction like i would love to become an official Bounty Hunter and join them, nope forget it.

Sure Freelancer was fun for those 25-30 hours but then what? The game looked unfinished to me as you will have noticed that whatever ship you have you completly have the same speed... 79-80 and 300 in that fast mode (Forget the name) So again what is the point having other ships, just because you can put a bit more armour and guns? I would have liked less wonderfull graphical spaces and more planets, missions and so on. Voila those are a few reasons compared to elite that for it's time proposed so much over.

Exemple : Beaming some slaves and got message "The Slaves has taken over the ship!"

Old 21 June 2003, 07:51   #15
RokChild
The One The ONLY

Send a message via ICQ to RokChild
Elite or Freelancer??

Hmm, interesting question.... but I am afraid that it has to be Elite every time..
Old 21 June 2003, 08:22   #16
Chuckles
The Ancient One

I haven't played Freelancer, so I'm not really qualified to vote in the poll. From everything I've heard about it though, and respecting the release year as the original post mentioned, I expect that if I had played it, I'd still prefer Elite. The number of places to go and things to do made it something special, and it sounds as if Freelancer falls short in comparison.

Freelancer may actually be a good game in it's own right, though I know some people will automatically knock off points just because it is a Microsoft title. I remember this one game that Microsoft put out that was incredibly challenging, and it seemed that no matter how hard I tried, I just kept crashing. Come to think of it, that was no game ... that was Windows. Never mind!
Old 21 June 2003, 21:29   #17
ECA
Obnoxious twit

I have one comment.
"IF" they would update the graphics for Elite2-3. and fix the game alittel, would we Play them. My thoughts are...YES, YES, YES.
Then if they made them MP, "AFTER" the release I would LOVE IT. I would dedicate another 10 years of my life to playing it.

Old 23 June 2003, 11:54   #18
Deadraque

Sure if we even could get a bigger world and more planets with more to trade and different ships, then use the graphics of freelancer, pweeee then i guess i need to leave my girlfriend

Old 18 July 2003, 23:49   #19
Djay
95th User

i've been playing freelancer a lot... i have...

Titan
2x Skyblast B
2x DIAMONDBACK
2x Nomad Energy Cannon

i have completed story mode, and have about 2 million in the bank

Although its published by M$, it has been designed by Digital Anvil... and its cool...

Elite Vs Freelancer... hmmm tough

If you look back at any elite game, elite seems bigger, but only actual core systems are populated alot of the games map is wasted... where as freelancers map (although a huge amount smaller) is far more populated

landing on planets, transport mission etc etc... are missing from FL... which is a right shame...

but i suppose i prefer Elite 2, but maybe the memories outway the reality...?!?!?
Old 18 July 2003, 23:53   #20
Djay
95th User

Quote:
I just kept crashing. Come to think of it, that was no game ... that was Windows. Never mind!
difference is... Windows is made by M$, FL is made by Digital Anvil
FL is very stable in single player, MP is slightly different but it depends on the stability of the server you are connect too...

has anyone checked out the mods... (Rebalance for example) they are great!!!