English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 September 2009, 02:12   #41
Damion

I don't think it does revert to PIO -- (Ralph says it won't unless some rare condition exists where the accelerator has broken DMA to Chip access) hence the slowdown, the controller can only DMA to Chip RAM (since no accelerator RAM exists in the autoconfig space) and from there data is copied to accelerator RAM.

I'm tempted to pull my GVP sidecars out of the closet and run some benchmarks... I recall getting close to 3 MB/s with a Series II in my A2000, but can't remember what I measured with (might have been the RSCP program on the Guru ROM disk).

Quote:
use something else than the latest 68040 drivers from the manufacturers, things like that...
DOH! Forgot to mention, the MMULib package also comes with an excellent set of CPU libraries.
Old 21 September 2009, 02:23   #42
Photon

Oh! I thought Sysinfo was what everyone used. I guess I could be measuring Sysinfo's buffering here, but no... the "list directory" test I mentioned is plain enough.

I'm using Setpatch 37.34 (if that has anything to do with anything), will try 43.6b now.

I'll have a look if the PP&S 040 likes the 040 libs.
Old 21 September 2009, 05:47   #43
Photon

Buffers DO affect one thing at least: directory listing speed. Here's the sweet spot (for my 68040+GVP rig at least)

Test results:

Buffers - speed (estimated)
11 - molasses
22 - molasses
30 - molasses
44 - molasses
55 - molasses
60 - Porsche
66 - Porsche
400 - Porsche

22 buffers were Porsche, with 32-bit ram disabled (IIRC). [<-- EDIT: NOPE, tested it properly just now.] It doesn't get gradually faster with increasing buffers, there's a clear boundary for when it goes VROOM!

OK, I've now done some startup-testing and it resulted in the below paste. Seems binddrivers is not needed at all. (But maybe in Kick 1.3 mode?)

I now have a zippy rig that autoboots to AsmOne in 2.5 seconds in 68040 mode and 4.2 seconds in 68000 mode. (From "white screen disappearing".)

So now the floppy checks take more time than everything else (See my other thread here.)

Code:
echo "LMB=LoadWB..."
path sys:util sys:s add
init040 addmem FASTROM >NIL:
setpatch43_6b >NIL:
;---binddrivers205 >NIL:
cpu DATACACHE NODATABURST INSTCACHE INSTBURST >NIL:
cpu040 CBack_Off >NIL:

MOUSECOND
IF NOT WARN
bpls
resident c:assign pure
assign t: GAMES:t

assign ENV: sys:prefs/env-archive
assign ENVARC: sys:prefs/env-archive
assign prefs: sys:prefs
assign KEYMAPS: devs:keymaps

assign A: dh0:asmskool
assign CO: DH0:CODE
assign DS: DH0:CODE/DEVSYS
assign st-00: dh0:snd
resident assign remove

system/Setmap Asm
maxfont
fastfonts >NIL:
prompt %s>

AsmOne \F\220\=\vA:work/d/stunner\r\

;-----------------------------------------------------
ELSE
;bpls 2
;;;;;	c:setpatch >NIL:
c:version >NIL:
addbuffers >NIL: df0: 15
Failat 21

resident >NIL: c:List pure add
resident >NIL: c:Copy pure add
resident >NIL: c:Assign pure add
resident >NIL: c:Execute pure add

makedir ram:T ram:Clipboards ram:env ram:env/sys
copy >NIL: ENVARC: ram:env all quiet noreq

assign ENV: ram:env
assign T: ram:t ;set up T: directory for scripts
assign CLIPS: ram:clipboards
assign REXX: s:

if exists sys:Monitors
    join >NIL: sys:monitors/~(#?.info) as t:mon-start
    execute t:mon-start
    delete >NIL: t:mon-start
endif

BindDrivers205

setenv Workbench $Workbench
setenv Kickstart $Kickstart

IPrefs
;
echo "Amiga Release 2.  Kickstart $Kickstart, Workbench $Workbench"

conclip

mount speak:
mount aux:
mount pipe:

path ram: c: sys:utilities sys:rexxc sys:system s: sys:prefs sys:wbstartup add
if exists sys:tools
    path sys:tools add
    if exists sys:tools/commodities
        path sys:tools/commodities add
    endif
endif

; If this is the initial boot (i.e. keyboard env variable is not set)
; then execute PickMap which will query for a keymap and set the
; keyboard env variable.
; 
; if keyboard env variable is set, set the keymap
if ${sys/keyboard} NOT EQ "*${sys/keyboard}"
    setmap ${sys/keyboard}
else
    PickMap.hd sys:
endif

if exists s:user-startup
    execute s:user-startup
endif

rexxmast >NIL:

LoadWB

endcli >NIL:

ENDIF

A bug that has been with me for years (misc expansions, misc WB versions) is that in Workbench, after some use, it hangs. I tested it out, and I can reproduce it simply by double-clicking on the harddisk and dragging a random folder icon. I can drag it for about 1 second (30 pixels), then it stops while the pointer moves, and I'm still holding the left mousebutton. I can't click on any icon from this point, and if I close the folder (click top left), the pointer freezes hard, every time.

Now it's not the controller or the 68040, since it happens in 68000 mode too. The WBstartup is as you can see identical to the WB2.05 one. I've tried stacksize and misc stuff... I'm lost

Is it an 'illegal insertion of Kick 2.0 in an OCS machine' conflict?

---------------{@}-----------------

Anyway, now I'm ready to bench the A590 in hope for better speeds. My V6.6 roms should fail on my 2GB drive, well, let's see. (My partitions are 1 GB.) Maybe burning a Guru ROM (prediction: not possible...) will have other benefits, like faster speed? Is it possible, or should I burn A2091 ROM 7.0?

I'm a bit skeptic to the A590setup.dms... it wants WB 1.3 disks on install, and the only pertinent file on the whole disk seems to be A590HD in the Expansion dir...

Thoughts on a plan of attack on the A590, or is it easy peasy?

Last edited by Photon; 21 September 2009 at 23:15.
Old 21 September 2009, 09:05   #44
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Maybe burning a Guru ROM (prediction: not possible...) will have other benefits, like faster speed?
It would be faster, and you could burn one, only you couldn't use it without the adapter board. It is possible you could make one, but I do not remember if anyone knows exactly how it works. I asked Ralph years ago if I could make some more but he refused on the grounds that some of his former customers may still have stock. I did not think that was the case then, surely it is not now, perhaps time to ask him once again?

Quote:
Is it possible, or should I burn A2091 ROM 7.0?
Possible, but not practical. Burn the A590/A2091 ROM v7.0 instead.
Old 21 September 2009, 10:44   #45
Damion

Is the line turning off the copyback cache needed for something? Same with CPU DATABURST (don't think that tag does anything on 040/060 anyway). If using the MMULib libraries, you could delete those lines completely... the CPU lib should set everything optimally.

init040 ADDMEM >NIL:
SetPatch QUIET
MuFastROM ON PROTECT >NIL: ;kickstart mirrored and protected
MuFastZero ON ;remaps zero page

You could even use MuFastZero in combination with MuMove4k to try and get expansion.library in Fast RAM, but I'm not sure how that would work with your board needing an ADDMEM command... might have to surf the docs and experiment a little... but a quick glance sez it can work with some extra fiddling.
Old 21 September 2009, 16:16   #46
Photon

It's for compatibility with apps. I turn it on for 3D apps tho.

Cool.

alexh: Will burn ROM 7.0 then, if V6.6 is incompatible/slow.

Any thoughts on the hang-bug in WB? Damaged icon.library? :P

Or Kick 2.0 gfx.lib expects ECS chips?
Old 21 September 2009, 21:19   #47
Photon

A590 first impressions: The controller, while looking brand new and awesome with an air of solid quality (pics are coming), it was a definite step-down.

It autobooted my 2GB *DISK* fine, booting time just a bit slower than GVP. However, it considered my second 1GB partition (at end of 2GB disk) as "Not a DOS disk".

So it's confirmed that >1GB disks are fully possible with A590 ROM V6.6, and also that 0.98 GB partitions are okay (so far at least).

Test results: (60 buffers etc... same settings as above)

Mode - speed in Sysinfo
68000+A590 fastram - 1126 KB/s
68040+A590 fastram only - 1136 KB/s
68040+A590 fastram+"CPU FASTROM" - 1176 KB/s
68040+A590 fastram+32-bit ram - 395 KB/s

It was fine to connect a PSU to the harddisk power cable.
Old 21 September 2009, 21:37   #48
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
So it's confirmed that >1GB disks are fully possible with A590 ROM V6.6, and also that 0.98 GB partitions are okay (so far at least).
Bigger disks "work" but v7.0 (or gururom) is needed to access data behind 1G "border". (Older driver versions simply refuse to read or write after 1G)

You can can also use filesystem with direct-scsi like PFS3.
Old 21 September 2009, 23:12   #49
Photon

OK, then it's 100% certain that V6.6 roms can handle partitions up to 1GB on >1GB disks, if they are within the first GB of the disk. So the A590 faq had an error in it. (Saying drives >1GB can't be used and that the simplest solution was to order a Guru Rom.)

If I can get my EPROM burner from my other place tomorrow I'll try V7.0.

The speeds Ralph Babel mentioned suggest that with 32-bit RAM it falls back to PIO (~300 KB/s), and without it, it DMAs to chip, then copies to 24-bit fastram?? 890 ns=1123 KB/s.

Silly way to do it with onboard fastram, says I. Unless the faq's "real use" speeds without a Guru ROM, 1.4 MB/s, is "my" 1.1 MB/s.

Recommendations for tools like the rawscsispeed mentioned?

Will examine the faq for some spiduptrix.

Last edited by Photon; 22 September 2009 at 14:20. Reason: clarity
Old 22 September 2009, 00:53   #50
Photon

Pictures:

A590

Anyone want a mint condition 20MB Seagate SCSI HDD!?

GVP Impact Series II A500-HD8 revision 6

Anyone know the value of the C13 SMD cap? Not a biggie, I guess. Same as C14 in upper left!? (47 uF, right?)
Old 22 September 2009, 01:08   #51
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Anyone want a mint condition 20MB Seagate SCSI HDD!?
Yes please!

Your A590 is exactly the same as one I've just bought from PowerPie5000.

It hasn't arrived yet, but I understand it still has the original 20MB Seagate SCSI drive installed.

Would you burn a V7.0 ROM for me too, please, if it turns out to be a worthwhile upgrade?

Last edited by prowler; 22 September 2009 at 01:34. Reason: Typo
Old 22 September 2009, 01:20   #52
Photon

You really want the harddisk!? *rubs eyes* Oh well, paypal postage... :P

And I know, I was about to buy it

Well, if it's just like mine, you will be able to put multi-GB drive in it as long as you split it into <1GB partitions. Or maybe I misunderstand you...

If I burn one for me, I can burn one for you for a few € ofc.
Old 22 September 2009, 01:32   #53
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
You really want the harddisk!? *rubs eyes*
Yes, please.

Quote:
Oh well, paypal postage... :P
I'll be happy to.

Quote:
And I know, I was about to buy it
Oh yes, I remember now.

Quote:
Well, if it's just like mine, you will be able to put multi-GB drive in it as long as you split it into <1GB partitions. Or maybe I misunderstand you...
Ultimately, the Seagate drives won't be used in the A590 at all. I've got them in mind for a Macintosh project.

Quote:
If I burn one for me, I can burn one for you for a few € ofc.
Thanks. I'm looking forward to the results of your experiments with this ROM version.
Old 22 September 2009, 01:56   #54
Photon

I have an original Macintosh. But hmm... no, I will not attempt to stick it in there, even if there are some strange adapt0rs to do it. It whirrs so nicely

And I won't put a 20MB SCSI drive in anything else either, so sure Will test and weigh it after I try out the A590 some more.

What, if any, software is newer than the "WB 1.3" driver disk on amiga.resource.cx !? Does it even look at a single file outside the ROM..? - can I put something in the startup-sequence that will "patch it to be accelerator-optimized"?
Old 22 September 2009, 04:42   #55
Photon

OK, took a break from SCSI and compared straight IDE to IDE through IDEfix (not express) on my A1200-030.

With IDEfix: 1807 KB/s
Without it: 1803 KB/s

Someone said the tiny buffer gave slight speed improvements. Well, maybe on my A600? Will test, at least.

I did get a measurement of 401 KB/s on the A590, a record for 68040+32-bit ram... also tried addbuffers 800, which did nothing in Sysinfo with/without 68040 or with/without 32-bit ram.

Sysinfo showed 60 buffers instead of 860, but that might be that it just shows (SELECTED) RDB info. I didn't feel like changing the #buffers in the RDB, as the A590 doesn't recognize the second partition.

GVP: Still unsure about the cap - it should be a normal anti-noise cap for the chips, but 47uF is huge... anyone know the value or has a service manual?

I was unable to find info on how to decode the digits or find a manual.

Now to cut the piece of shit that is Overdrive into pieces so I can re-use the 2.5" cable at least... plastic and superglue. Wow.
Old 22 September 2009, 09:07   #56
Damion

Quote:
Any thoughts on the hang-bug in WB?
I've got an extra 3.1 ROM laying around if you want to see if upgrading will fix it. PM me shipping deets and it's yours.

Quote:
GVP: Still unsure about the cap - it should be a normal anti-noise cap for the chips, but 47uF is huge... anyone know the value or has a service manual?
Mine is an older revision board with thru-hole parts, but both caps in the area are 47uf.

Also one more helpful tidbit from Ralph:

Quote:
Just a quick addendum: to determine the access speeds of
the various memory regions in an Amiga, you can use the
"bustest" program. Then, simply add up all the relevant
cycle times.
Old 22 September 2009, 09:13   #57
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
OK, then it's 100% certain that V6.6 roms can handle 1GB partitions and >1GB disks.
No, you can only use FIRST 1G of the DRIVE with pre-7.0 roms. (just like you can only use first 4G of drive on built-in IDE without patches or direct-scsi filesystem)
Old 22 September 2009, 14:17   #58
Photon

Well, hm yes, but it's still true. I meant partitions as in "partitions that are this big are possible", not as plural. Wording changed for clarity.

Damion: Weird, in most equipment such caps are ~22nF (lentil type ). But it has a + mark, so I'm convinced...

I'd like to add one, and I have only electrolytics and drop-shaped ones which are likely tantalum electrolytic (middle one on the pic)

Is yours the tantalum?

Last edited by Photon; 22 September 2009 at 15:06.
Old 22 September 2009, 18:36   #59
Damion

Mine are electrolytic, axial thru-hole. (Probably dried up at this point :P) The board looks about similar to yours, just a bit older design.

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/impact5...t_impact500mk2 (mine is Rev 3)

Quote:
Well, hm yes, but it's still true. I meant partitions as in "partitions that are this big are possible", not as plural. Wording changed for clarity.

Damion: Weird, in most equipment such caps are ~22nF (lentil type ). But it has a + mark, so I'm convinced...

I'd like to add one, and I have only electrolytics and drop-shaped ones which are likely tantalum electrolytic (middle one on the pic)

Is yours the tantalum?
Old 22 September 2009, 19:08   #60
Photon

Right-o.

OK, I have a Pocket Programmer 2A from Xtronics.com hooked up. Software says it needs a file called zntport.sys. I'll have a more thorough look for it later, but if someone happens to have it ...

I got the impression it comes with Visual Basic, is that so? If someone has it, then it should be in the %windows%\system32\drivers folder.

Last edited by Photon; 22 September 2009 at 20:03.