English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Technical

Old 03 September 2019, 19:27   #21
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
He really does not need it... all steam games, since he owns 1/3 of steam catalog.

jmmijo, what is your experience on hybrid HD?
It works a bit faster, as it uses a smallish SSD to play CACHE for the larger HDD.

I have a pair of Seagate 4TB SSHD's, setup as a RAID ZERO array for one of my Steam Libraries.
Old 03 September 2019, 19:37   #22
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Hybrid HD's are obsolete imho with the current prices of SSD's, not to mention NVMe's.

Saying that, I've got a "normal" 6TB HDD from Toshiba with 256MB of cache for games + an Intel Optane 32GB NVMe, and while it's pretty fast on it's own, with the Optane caching games I play frequently load almost as fast as from an SSD.

Old 03 September 2019, 19:47   #23
jmmijo

There is that too, but be careful when using the Intel Optane option, it is limited in scope as to which Chipsets it supports and of course you have to be using the Intel ecosystem.
Old 03 September 2019, 19:56   #24
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I am more worried about reliability of data than speed. Sure speed is nice, but I just wonder since I knew you use 2 of them for steam game catalog if they are still working fine.

Sure, SSD is cheaper, but not cheap enough if you need huge storage.

I never tested anything with intel optane.
Old 03 September 2019, 20:05   #25
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Most hybrid HD's I've seen are from Seagate and that company has the lowest reliability rate on the planet.
I was a foolish user once - a dozen years ago - when my main 1.5TB Seagate disk died after a little over a year, and they completely ignored the fact it was all over the interwebz that the whole line of these disks kept dying, and said they cannot help me cause I didn't bought the disk from them directly but from a retail seller.
Seagate? Never. Fucking. Again.

You want huge storage with suprisingly fast load speeds? Toshiba S300 6TB (or more, those models have 256MB of cache) all the way.
Old 03 September 2019, 20:30   #26
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
Most hybrid HD's I've seen are from Seagate and that company has the lowest reliability rate on the planet.
I was a foolish user once - a dozen years ago - when my main 1.5TB Seagate disk died after a little over a year, and they completely ignored the fact it was all over the interwebz that the whole line of these disks kept dying, and said they cannot help me cause I didn't bought the disk from them directly but from a retail seller.

You want huge storage with suprisingly fast load speeds? Toshiba S300 6TB (or more, those models have 256MB of cache) all the way.
And for me just the opposite, had no problems with Seagate over the decades, hell I still have a working 48MB SCSI-I HDD for my old Amiga still going strong from 1987.

I've had worse luck with WD drives and even a couple of IBM HDD's back in their DEATHSTAR days

I do think it is a roll of the dice however, storage is so cheap that there are bound to be failures
Old 04 September 2019, 13:59   #27
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

My experience is similar to jmmijo's. More computers with large capacity HDs, more likely something will fail.

When I build next computer, most likely I will use hybrid disks just for steam - no information I can't re-download.

One of major reason for upgrade would be VR. What are others experience with PC VR?
Old 04 September 2019, 14:07   #28
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo View Post
There is that too, but be careful when using the Intel Optane option, it is limited in scope as to which Chipsets it supports and of course you have to be using the Intel ecosystem.
But if something happens with the motherboard or the Optane drive, then I think the HDD can still be used, just slowly? Optane drives should be quite solid, however I would also be mostly worried about the motherboard or some driver issue messing up the caching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
Pretty much all manufacturers have had bad models just like that 1.5TB Seagate drive, and who knows if Seagate have a lucky streak in the next couple of years where their models come out on top of reliability studies? No way to know for sure until some time has passed though..

I actually had 4 of those 1.5TB Seagates running as RAID5 in my NAS for 2½ years without any problems.. One had started to produce bad sectors however not more than could be handled by the firmware so it was still running and the NAS never threw a disk from the RAID. When I realized that my drives had ~25% failure rate in the BB study and one of them were starting to show bad signs, I used that as an excuse to buy some new HDDs. I needed more space anyway.

Last edited by demolition; 04 September 2019 at 14:14.
Old 04 September 2019, 20:00   #29
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
But if something happens with the motherboard or the Optane drive, then I think the HDD can still be used, just slowly? Optane drives should be quite solid, however I would also be mostly worried about the motherboard or some driver issue messing up the caching.

Pretty much all manufacturers have had bad models just like that 1.5TB Seagate drive, and who knows if Seagate have a lucky streak in the next couple of years where their models come out on top of reliability studies? No way to know for sure until some time has passed though..

I actually had 4 of those 1.5TB Seagates running as RAID5 in my NAS for 2½ years without any problems.. One had started to produce bad sectors however not more than could be handled by the firmware so it was still running and the NAS never threw a disk from the RAID. When I realized that my drives had ~25% failure rate in the BB study and one of them were starting to show bad signs, I used that as an excuse to buy some new HDDs. I needed more space anyway.
Correct, you can still use the HDD but no longer will there be caching as you will not be using the Optane drive any longer.
Old 04 September 2019, 20:06   #30
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I have optane on this laptop, but no idea how to use it.