English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Amiga Forever

Old 16 January 2011, 14:27   #1
gerograph

Question KX Light Install doesn't boot from HD/LiveCD boots very well ??

Hi,

I am a new member here,...anyway I am still using my Amiga 1200 and my SAM440 on a daily basis. I am the developer of iBatch image batch converter. There is also another Amiga made presentation about my company http://www.geobiz.de/Download.htm.
However, the reason I registered here (I am very active on AW.net/Amigans.net and AN.de) is the question I have about AmigaForever/KX Light:
Might be Linux related, as well:

I can boot from AmigaForever Plus LiveCD easily, it starts KX Light (Knoppix Linux) and then comes with the "Progress Splash Screen", before it starts UAE, Screen switches off/on 3 times (Guess Linux is looking for Graphiccard/Mode ??). Afterwards I can see Workbench.

Installing KX-Light/A Forever to HD (afinstall) everything goes smooth, I get Grub Bootloader, and can start KX, it also comes up with "progress splash screen", yellow bar goes till the end, Screen switches off/on 3 times (like before), but afterwards I just see "progress splash screen", nothing else happens, if I press "Strg+Alt+Del" Linux will be powered down. This means it seems not to be a system freeze.

Anybody an Idea ?

Thanks a lot for help

Gero alias gerograph

Old 16 January 2011, 19:52   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Gero, and welcome to EAB!

Have a look in this thread for some ideas:

Amiga Forever on Hard Drive

Edit: or, better still, have a look here:

Mouse problem Amiga Forever Knoppix

PS. Some of those links may be dead after all this time. If so, let me know and I'll upload the missing files for you.

Last edited by prowler; 16 January 2011 at 21:35.
Old 17 January 2011, 00:34   #3
gerograph

Hm, thanks, but doesn't really help. I actually managed to boot with "text mode" on. Once again I am a Linux newbie:

in grub menu I pressed 2 x "e" and were able to "edit linux boot options". If I then boot I get: this message at the end:

Starting the X Window System...

unloading unneeded AGP modules...
X Window session terminated with errors

Please check... etc/init.d/xsession start

Any Ideas ???

gerograph

Old 17 January 2011, 01:31   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

Sorry, Gero. I'm a bit of a Linux newbie myself.

The only time I have installed Amiga Forever/KX Light to hard drive successfully was using the method I described in the Amiga Forever Knoppix thread linked to above, and I still have all the files I downloaded in order to achieve this.
Old 27 January 2011, 20:50   #5
gerograph

@all
In case anybody is interested:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/...33069&forum=34

Got help there, I am as far as beeing able to boot into WB, seeing CDDrive and Installing OS 3.9 from there. Normal VESA resolutions work, other resolutions (like 1280x800 on my Notebook) work on Linux/XWindows but cannot manage to tell picasso driver to use it... can't even edit with Picasso Mode tool, therefor still missing:

- 1280x800 resolution
- 32 bit screenmodes
- using other partitions of my Harddrive (e.g. FAT - WinXChange)
- Sound

Once I got it sorted out, I will write a little HowTo and post it here and everywhere else...

greetings gerograph

Old 01 February 2011, 03:25   #6
Mozzerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerograph View Post
@all
In case anybody is interested:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/...33069&forum=34

Got help there, I am as far as beeing able to boot into WB, seeing CDDrive and Installing OS 3.9 from there. Normal VESA resolutions work, other resolutions (like 1280x800 on my Notebook) work on Linux/XWindows but cannot manage to tell picasso driver to use it... can't even edit with Picasso Mode tool, therefor still missing:

- 1280x800 resolution
- 32 bit screenmodes
- using other partitions of my Harddrive (e.g. FAT - WinXChange)
- Sound

Once I got it sorted out, I will write a little HowTo and post it here and everywhere else...

greetings gerograph

Thanks Gerograph,

I had the same problems. I wrote an email to Cloanto, and pointed them to the thread at Amigaworld.
Today they sent me an updated iso of AF2011 to test the new install-procedure of kxlight.
And I'm glad to say it now works like a charm.

About the screen resolutions:
My 15" LCD can display a max resolution of 1024x768.

at the initial "boot:" prompt I typed the following
af-fbtxt 2 screen=1024x768 depth=24

At the new command prompt I then typed 'AFInstall' and did a full install.

After the installation was finished, I could change my screenmode with the screenmode preferences program in workbench, and set it to 1024x768 32 bits.

So I guess you should use : af-fbtxt 2 screen=1280x800 depth=24
Hope this works for you.

Anyway, thanks again.
Old 02 February 2011, 08:15   #7
gerograph

@Mozzerfan
Thanx for the infos, I guess I will contact Acube anyway.

About screenresolution: I am unsure, wether your hints will help. A 1024x768 resolution is not problem anyway... you didn`t try it with higher resolution, didn't you ?

Does networking work for you ? Is there anything else new on your ISO besides installation script ? Kerne or more HW support ?

greetings gerograph

Old 02 February 2011, 12:12   #8
Mozzerfan

Quote:
@Mozzerfan
Thanx for the infos, I guess I will contact Acube anyway.

About screenresolution: I am unsure, wether your hints will help. A 1024x768 resolution is not problem anyway... you didn`t try it with higher resolution, didn't you ?

Does networking work for you ? Is there anything else new on your ISO besides installation script ? Kerne or more HW support ?

greetings gerograph
I guess you mean Cloanto instead of Acube

If I install KXlight without entering the screen and depth parameters, I can only select a 32-bits 800x600 screenmode in workbench.

Yesterday I installed kxlight on my laptop and used 'screen=1280x800 depth=24' and the max resolution I could use in workbench was 1024x768 32 bits.
I gues it has something to do with the p96 driver, because linux itself is using 1280x800.

Networking is working. I could download a few things from aminet.

AHI sound is also working, but I can only use the Paula sounddrivers.
With the AHI UAE sounddriver I get no sound when I click the test-button.

I don't know what else has changed on the iso besides the install-script. Maybe you could ask cloanto.

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 02 February 2011, 21:44   #9
gerograph

@Mozzerfan
Quote:
Yesterday I installed kxlight on my laptop and used 'screen=1280x800 depth=24' and the max resolution I could use in workbench was 1024x768 32 bits.
Same here, only I did the tweaking of xorg.conf after install, and in your case the afinstaller did it ! On Amiforce.de somebody told me he got e-uae running in higher screenresolution on Linux... ??

Quote:
I gues it has something to do with the p96 driver, because linux itself is using 1280x800.
Correct, same here, I guess I better contact Cloanto (aka ACube ;-) ) BTW network (Atheros 5000 WLan and sound are not working.... (even from Linux)
Guess my Dell Latitude 6410 is to modern

greetings gerograph

Old 02 February 2011, 23:05   #10
Mozzerfan

Quote:
@Mozzerfan

BTW network (Atheros 5000 WLan and sound are not working.... (even from Linux)

greetings gerograph
I don't use wifi for kxlight. I'm using my ethernet-connection. I'm a linux-noob. I don't know how to enable wifi under kx-light.