English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Contest

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 14 September 2019, 17:26   #1321
ross
Per aspera ad astra

ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Crossing the Rubicon
Age: 49
Posts: 2,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by gian2k View Post
Black frame insertion (50% brightness down) only background parallax
is possible load a new image sprite each frames


i ask, my idea is achievable?
About your idea.

Can work, but you have not only a "50% brightness down" but also (heavy) flickering

Now I stop myself to divert Rygar thread
ross is offline  
Old 14 September 2019, 19:28   #1322
gian2k
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Italy
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
About your idea.

Can work, but you have not only a "50% brightness down" but also (heavy) flickering

Now I stop myself to divert Rygar thread
yes, but it's fast. Draw the first frame with sprites, wait for the end of the beam , then draw the second frame by moving the sprites. The roondar method is complicated and the dma cost is high:repositioning/reloading needs to be repeated on the fly every scanline and the copperlist is very large and complex.
gian2k is offline  
Old 14 September 2019, 21:20   #1323
Steril707
Tigerskunk!

Steril707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Amiga Island
Posts: 1,048
Such a huge area of flickering looks shit, though.
Steril707 is offline  
Old 15 September 2019, 00:23   #1324
roondar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by gian2k View Post
yes, but it's fast. Draw the first frame with sprites, wait for the end of the beam , then draw the second frame by moving the sprites. The roondar method is complicated and the dma cost is high:repositioning/reloading needs to be repeated on the fly every scanline and the copperlist is very large and complex.
DMA cost of my method is high indeed. Copperlist is also large. I'd not actually use it as is in an OCS game - it was more of a thought experiment gone wild than anything else. My hope was that it would help people consider weird and wacky solutions

However... For the purposes of AGA, it's a lot less bad due to the much wider sprites. My small AGA experiment at the end of the thread only needed to reload a few (i.e. 3) sprites rather than the 11 the OCS version needed to reload. Which meant the DMA load was way cheaper. Note here that the only reason it needed to reload sprites is that I insisted on a 15 colour background. If a 4 colour background will do, you might not need any reloading of sprite data at all.

As for black frame insertion, I'm sure something like that could work but I'm unsure it wouldn't be to flickery to watch though.

Anyway, back to Rygar...
roondar is offline  
Old 15 September 2019, 00:36   #1325
mcgeezer
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sunderland, England
Posts: 1,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Anyway, back to Rygar...
and back it is...

so much so that the game is...barring a sample corruption caused on one of the rounds and an issue with the password system... FINISHED...FINITO

I'll do a live stream tomorrow afternoon, around about 4pm.

With a bit of luck I'll have ironed out the couple of bugs and I can play the game all the way through.

Geezer
mcgeezer is online now  
Old 15 September 2019, 00:59   #1326
roondar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
and back it is...

so much so that the game is...barring a sample corruption caused on one of the rounds and an issue with the password system... FINISHED...FINITO

I'll do a live stream tomorrow afternoon, around about 4pm.

With a bit of luck I'll have ironed out the couple of bugs and I can play the game all the way through.

Geezer
Grats! That is awesome news!
roondar is offline  
Old 15 September 2019, 04:13   #1327
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France
dlfrsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Melun nearby Paris/France
Age: 42
Posts: 8,184
Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
and back it is...

so much so that the game is...barring a sample corruption caused on one of the rounds and an issue with the password system... FINISHED...FINITO

I'll do a live stream tomorrow afternoon, around about 4pm.

With a bit of luck I'll have ironed out the couple of bugs and I can play the game all the way through.

Geezer
Awesome, can't wait
dlfrsilver is offline  
Old 15 September 2019, 14:51   #1328
invent
pixels

invent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Australia
Age: 48
Posts: 278
Nice one mcgeezer, look forward to it.
invent is offline  
Old 15 September 2019, 14:56   #1329
Steril707
Tigerskunk!

Steril707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Amiga Island
Posts: 1,048
Congratulations...
Steril707 is offline  
Old 15 September 2019, 14:59   #1330
Steril707
Tigerskunk!

Steril707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Amiga Island
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
DMA cost of my method is high indeed. Copperlist is also large. I'd not actually use it as is in an OCS game - it was more of a thought experiment gone wild than anything else. My hope was that it would help people consider weird and wacky solutions
It's an interesting new "weapon" in our arsenal, so kudos to you for finding this method..
Steril707 is offline  
Old 15 September 2019, 18:04   #1331
JuanLuis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Málaga
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
and back it is...

so much so that the game is...barring a sample corruption caused on one of the rounds and an issue with the password system... FINISHED...FINITO

I'll do a live stream tomorrow afternoon, around about 4pm.

With a bit of luck I'll have ironed out the couple of bugs and I can play the game all the way through.

Geezer
Thanks McGeezer. 4PM UK Time. We are waiting for you
JuanLuis is offline  
Old 15 September 2019, 18:16   #1332
mcgeezer
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sunderland, England
Posts: 1,483
OK, just getting audio sorted which is a pain.

Stream is here..

[ Show youtube player ]
mcgeezer is online now  
Old 15 September 2019, 20:44   #1333
ztronzo
Registered User

ztronzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Montreal
Posts: 109
Excellent job on Rygar AGA!!

I felt the need to give you my thoughts on this since the game has a few more days under development and hopefully I am not asking too much.
I want to suggest just some last minute tweaks!!! if possible and its not already too late.

Please check frame animation of death scene and the barrel rotate animation during the level advance. All other animations jump, fall, rope climb, rope hit seem to be frame by frame perfect with the rope animation looking even better than the arcade version.

These are the animations that every frame gets stuck in your mind while playing.

A) The death scene seems to have less gravity and to be sliding too much in the end..

Amiga death scene:
youtu.be/8YHtCrQbF8Y?t=1171
youtu.be/8YHtCrQbF8Y?t=1311

Arcade death scene:
youtu.be/Dad1awmRehQ?t=628
youtu.be/Dad1awmRehQ?t=653
youtu.be/KBlj6YUzAyg?t=98


B) On advancing through levels, it seems the AGA version has too many frames which are off-synced from the dragon barrel while entering and exiting, there is also an extra frame of backward motion to the hero.
I don't mind the part where the character doesn't lift the dragon barrel up a pixel or the frame speed, but please check the frame by frame rotation they don't seem to be at sync.
The arcade version is more snug holding on it and the dragon always keeps facing the hero while its being rotated.


Amiga Level rotation scene:
youtu.be/8YHtCrQbF8Y?t=1030
youtu.be/8YHtCrQbF8Y?t=1303

Arcade Level rotation scene:
youtu.be/Dad1awmRehQ?t=679
youtu.be/Dad1awmRehQ?t=695


I do not want to be negative in any way, my suggestion is for this game to achieve perfection since it deserves it!!
I hope it's not too much of a hassle!

Last edited by ztronzo; 15 September 2019 at 20:58.
ztronzo is offline  
Old 15 September 2019, 23:02   #1334
Foul
Registered User

Foul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Perigueux/France
Age: 45
Posts: 1,427
Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztronzo View Post

B) On advancing through levels, it seems the AGA version has too many frames which are off-synced from the dragon barrel while entering and exiting, there is also an extra frame of backward motion to the hero.
I don't mind the part where the character doesn't lift the dragon barrel up a pixel or the frame speed, but please check the frame by frame rotation they don't seem to be at sync.
The arcade version is more snug holding on it and the dragon always keeps facing the hero while its being rotated.


Amiga Level rotation scene:
youtu.be/8YHtCrQbF8Y?t=1030
youtu.be/8YHtCrQbF8Y?t=1303

Arcade Level rotation scene:
youtu.be/Dad1awmRehQ?t=679
youtu.be/Dad1awmRehQ?t=695


I do not want to be negative in any way, my suggestion is for this game to achieve perfection since it deserves it!!
I hope it's not too much of a hassle!
i've already mentioned this a long time ago here http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=473
Foul is offline  
Old 16 September 2019, 10:00   #1335
ztronzo
Registered User

ztronzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Montreal
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foul View Post
i've already mentioned this a long time ago here http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=473
I am glad I am not the only one noticing this!! :-)
These are the things that get stuck in your subconscious while playing the original...

I hope the developers spot it in-time and its just a matter of fine-tuning so it wont be too much trouble for them to adjust it..
ztronzo is offline  
Old 16 September 2019, 15:31   #1336
mcgeezer
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sunderland, England
Posts: 1,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foul View Post
i've already mentioned this a long time ago here http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=473
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztronzo View Post
I am glad I am not the only one noticing this!! :-)
These are the things that get stuck in your subconscious while playing the original...

I hope the developers spot it in-time and its just a matter of fine-tuning so it wont be too much trouble for them to adjust it..
Thanks gents, the Rygar death sequence I have already addressed previously. The sanctuary rotation sequence I can look at - if I get the time.

My focus is on fixing bugs in the game.

Geezer
mcgeezer is online now  
Old 16 September 2019, 16:37   #1337
vulture
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Athens , Greece
Posts: 1,056
Congratulations mcgeezer! The video is set to private?
vulture is offline  
Old 16 September 2019, 16:53   #1338
mcgeezer
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sunderland, England
Posts: 1,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
Congratulations mcgeezer! The video is set to private?

Yes because i didnt cut it yet... hopefully do it tonight.
mcgeezer is online now  
Old 16 September 2019, 21:39   #1339
JuanLuis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Málaga
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
OK, just getting audio sorted which is a pain.

Stream is here..

[ Show youtube player ]
Don't worry McGeezer. I'm not an english speaker and I could understand almost everything you said.

Thanks again for the streaming.
JuanLuis is offline  
Old 16 September 2019, 22:59   #1340
Foul
Registered User

Foul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Perigueux/France
Age: 45
Posts: 1,427
Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul
To be honest.. the last time I waited like that to play a game...was Half-life 2... I'm excited to play with the final version
Foul is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Entry: Rygar AGA Edition mcgeezer Coders. Entries 75 28 February 2019 21:41
On the Ball - World Cup Edition AGA djcasey request.Old Rare Games 4 25 January 2013 13:39
On The Ball League Edition AGA , Player Manager 2 StarEye Games images which need to be WHDified 11 22 January 2010 19:21
The Vague #1 AGA-RTG edition is released ! kas1e Amiga scene 12 30 October 2007 01:27
On The Ball: World Cup Edition AGA CodyJarrett request.Old Rare Games 11 27 May 2003 07:14

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.18622 seconds with 16 queries