Old 17 August 2019, 23:24   #221
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerochip View Post
Me too!!

Hotrod buddies!!!

We should start a club...

I upgraded mine with an iPac, and Happ Competition (convex) buttons.

And set the bottom 4 to the Neo Geo colours
Nice

...problem for me is that my current laptop doesn't have PS/2 ports so can't really use my HotRod

I haven't looked around but maybe there are PS/2 to USB cables?

Or I just buy an X-Arcade, which uses USB.

Thing is that these days I don't really have friends who are interested in playing arcade games, plus it takes up a bit of space; so I just make do with my Xbox 360 wireless controllers when having a bash via MAME.
Old 18 August 2019, 13:09   #222
Mikerochip

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Nice

...problem for me is that my current laptop doesn't have PS/2 ports so can't really use my HotRod

Or I just buy an X-Arcade, which uses USB.

My friend also bought an X-Arcade, and it's build quality is far inferior to the Hotrod. All the buttons are awful, the switches are so so, same with the sticks. To make it sing, you need to replace the sticks, buttons, encoder and all the switches. You might as well build one from scratch!

Also, no don't buy either the X-Arcade itself, or it's upgrade kit, I bought the X-Arcade USB upgrade and it's shit. It will only let you press 6 switches together at the same time.

(In USB Mode. In PS/2 mode, or connected to a console, it's great, all buttons work together fine)

Which is *OK* if you're using it 1 player, but awful if using it with 2 players.
eg down forward uses 2 switches, plus 3 punch buttons, say in SF2, that's 5 switches! Leaving only 1 switch for player 2. And pressing a 7th button will cause one of the other switches to become unpressed. So, if you were holding those buttons, now you're going forward, rather than down forward, since the new 7th button cancels your down switch.
If that makes sense. Took me ages to figure out what was happening.

I eventually had to remove it, and replace it with an iPac2.
Which is *AMAZING*
You can program it with a small program, so, you can program each button to be whatever you want it to be.
It also has support for a new "shift" button, so, if you want to, hold down shift, and press the joystick up to increase windows volume instead.
Much better.
AND each button has it's own value, and it's Shift value.

[SHIFT] + [P1 Start] could become [ESC] to quit out of a emu!

There's loads of possibilities. It's a great encoder.
Can't recommend it enough.

By default it comes programmed for MAME/Hotrod! So, there's nothing to do except wire it up!

I bought it with a wire loom, and just pulled out the Hotrod controller and wiring, and replaced it with this. All in all, took about an hour.

You could always get a PS/2 --> USB encoder, but, I've had little to no success with them.

I buy some stuff from ArcadeWorld UK. Great place.
https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/produc...iring-Kit.html
(You want the 4.8mm wiring kit)

It's screw terminated, so, no soldering, just pull off the old connectors (use a pliars) and push on the new one.

I replaced the buttons too, with convex ones (With the bottom 4 in Neo Geo colours!)

https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/produc...de-Button.html

If you are buying some stuff, buy a few switches too. They tend to wear out over time, even if you don't use them.

https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/catego...Microswitches/

Last edited by Mikerochip; 18 August 2019 at 16:30. Reason: meant switches when I said buttons.
Old 18 August 2019, 13:21   #223
DamienD
Global Moderator

Thanks for all the information

Yeah, I heard that the build quality of the X-Arcade is inferior to the HotRodSE.
Old 18 August 2019, 20:38   #224
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Soarer's converter is a good one.
Old 18 August 2019, 21:07   #225
DamienD
Global Moderator

Thanks my friend

You mean this?

Quite expensive but that's ok... at the moment I can't even use my HotRod SE on my current laptop so
Old 19 August 2019, 01:33   #226
Foebane

No love for the Konix Speedking? The best joystick I ever used out of the many I tried over the years, and I'm LEFT-handed for most things!

Old 19 August 2019, 01:48   #227
DamienD
Global Moderator

Yeah I had a few of those in my real Amiga years Foebane, not bad
Old 19 August 2019, 04:56   #228
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerochip View Post
I think you're thinking of the Supercharger SV-123.

It had a very similar base to the Logic3.

No, it only came in blue.
But, they also made the Alpha Ray, which was a smaller version of the Sigma Ray.
Na wasn't that one. No base fire buttons and that's what is ringing a bell. That's a very particular placement of the fire buttons on the base.

Meh...maybe I played on one in a shop or at a mates house., and perhaps I'm merging that memory with my QSII Turbo, which of course, was red.
Old 19 August 2019, 06:09   #229
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

just found a video on the topic of Joysticks comparing several types.

Only just started watching it but looks to be good.

Kicks off with the QSII and then he proceeds onto the Zip Stick. Good start to the video

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 03 September 2019, 01:44   #230
XPD

I had one of these, bashed the hell outta it over the years and it just kept going
Old 03 September 2019, 01:50   #231
DamienD
Global Moderator

Yeah, I had these also

...unfortunately for me from memory, they weren't the best build quality and as a consequence had to replace every so often.
Old 03 September 2019, 12:19   #232
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Was that the quality of the stick or the enthusiasm of the player I wonder I went through quite a few Arcade sticks but that was more to do with how I played...
Old 03 September 2019, 15:16   #233
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Was that the quality of the stick or the enthusiasm of the player I wonder I went through quite a few Arcade sticks but that was more to do with how I played...
These are definitely NOT to be confused with arcade sticks! Appalling build quality, extremely uncomfortable to use, just terrible. They were very common in Australia (and probably NZ as well).
Old 03 September 2019, 15:49   #234
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPD View Post

I had one of these, bashed the hell outta it over the years and it just kept going
I have a T-Shirt with a drawing of that stick on it. I never saw that stick live (I doubt even one unit of it exists here in Brazil), but when I saw the T-Shirt I really wanted to buy it

I always heard how Competition Pro is an awesome stick and all for years, they also were never available here in Brazil. One day I was in a fair and there was one there, so I could finally try out the ALL MIGHT COMPETITION PRO....

... and I really didn't like it. I felt it too stiff and diagonals were a hassle. It was one of the clicky models though (I guess, it clicked really loud )

Here in Brazil we had this thing:

which was actually pretty good. They made models for Atari 2600, Master System, MSX and their NES clone named Dynavision. They were all identical except for colors (MSX and Atari 2600 had the exact same colors and it was annoying back them, if you didn't look carefully in the box you could buy a wrong one. Nowadays they have no boxes so it's basically impossible to find an MSX one unless by pure luck). I do own 2 of those which are 2600 compatible.
Old 03 September 2019, 15:51   #235
petarku

Since I got amiga i was using competition pro(with microswitches) and it was my favourite for years. Few months ago i bought zipstick and tac2. My new favourite is zipstick. Nothing can beat that curling of the ball in swos with zipstick
Old 04 September 2019, 17:32   #236
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

I never got the love for the Bug (no pun intended). The damn thing was IMPOSSIBLE to jump diagonally with. Or maybe mine was naff.

Much preferred my CRUISER
Old 01 October 2019, 16:47   #237
pcimone

As far as original ones, the speed king for sure, new ones, b Amiga kit's arcade evolution joystick is great
Old 01 October 2019, 16:50   #238
pcimone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
No love for the Konix Speedking? The best joystick I ever used out of the many I tried over the years, and I'm LEFT-handed for most things!

Yup have one that's nearly 30 years old. Still works great
Old 01 October 2019, 17:34   #239
Nightshft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
I always heard how Competition Pro is an awesome stick and all for years, they also were never available here in Brazil. One day I was in a fair and there was one there, so I could finally try out the ALL MIGHT COMPETITION PRO....

... and I really didn't like it. I felt it too stiff and diagonals were a hassle. It was one of the clicky models though (I guess, it clicked really loud )
My all time favourite back in the days and still - is the Suzo Prof Competition. Haters say it's CP clone, but in my opinion it's just much better in handling.

Also big favs:
- Suzo The Arcade
- Zipstick
- QS 128F/138F because of the 2 Firebuttons
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	suzo_prof_competition.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	64634  
Old 02 October 2019, 17:18   #240
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wachi View Post
Telemach 200

Want. Can you still buy these?

I think there was also a German joystick in black metal with yellow buttons and a knob handle. And I can never remember the name of it

And now there is an AmigaKit one.