English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 22 July 2019, 19:49   #21
Zak
Zap´em

I quit with everything like drinking and smoking a long time ago, and all this had such a great potential of relaxation that I lost with it.

And then I found ASMR and that totally changed everything. I mostly watch ASMR videos on Youtube. With the right triggers, I get a strong relaxing tingling sensation in my head and spine, it's amazing.

Not everyone has this tingling effect though, but I heard that it's still relaxing to watch even without the tingles.

People say those videos are weird, but I'm far beyond such categories like normal or weird. Is it really normal to smoke a cigarette? And the ASMR relaxation is much stronger for me than what a cigarette can do.
Old 22 July 2019, 19:56   #22
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Ha! "Keyboard Warriors". Oh I like that.
you not heard that one then?

It's great isn't it I thought that when I first heard it
Old 22 July 2019, 20:03   #23
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
I quit with everything like drinking and smoking a long time ago, and all this had such a great potential of relaxation that I lost with it.

And then I found ASMR and that totally changed everything. I mostly watch ASMR videos on Youtube. With the right triggers, I get a strong relaxing tingling sensation in my head and spine, it's amazing.

Not everyone has this tingling effect though, but I heard that it's still relaxing to watch even without the tingles.

People say those videos are weird, but I'm far beyond such categories like normal or weird. Is it really normal to smoke a cigarette? And the ASMR relaxation is much stronger for me than what a cigarette can do.
Currently trying to Quite both Smoking and Drinking so Kudos on Actually Succeeding Buddy

just because other find it Weird doesn't make it Weird it's what you like and if that works for you then Great
Old 22 July 2019, 21:13   #24
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
And then I found ASMR and that totally changed everything.
Would you mind sharing a few recommendations?

I had never heard about the acronym ASMR.
But apparently rain/waterfall sounds can fall into this category, although I discovered these when searching "white noise" videos. I happen to have been listening to such stuff when I need to focus on some work (and not wanting to be distracted by music). For example:
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 22 July 2019, 21:24   #25
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post

But apparently rain/waterfall sounds can fall into this category, although I discovered these when searching "white noise" videos. I happen to have been listening to such stuff when I need to focus on some work (and not wanting to be distracted by music). For example:
[ Show youtube player ]
Rain is one thing that really does Relax me :-)
Old 22 July 2019, 21:50   #26
Zak
Zap´em

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post

Basically there are two ways of ASMR:
1. Roleplays that show situations that relax you.
For example a visit at the doctor.
[ Show youtube player ]

2. Trigger sounds like tapping, scratching, crinkles and so on
Dmitri (MassageASMR) used to be the king of such videos, his older ones are great
[ Show youtube player ]

The most successful channels at the moment the far I know are Gentle Whispering https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6g...g7eJ8VuXDCZ_vg

and Gibi ASMR https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCE6...35znLcf0JGNn7Q

and ASMR Darling https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...T3QC9axUbXCPYw

Edit: her real name is actually Taylor Darling, there is always a discussion whether ASMR is a sexual thing or not but it basically isn't and there a re also good male ASMRtists like Raphy Taphy or Ephemeral Rift. The list is endless, I would estimate there is a million ASMR videos on Youtube, no joke, some things work for you and some don't

Last edited by Zak; 22 July 2019 at 22:04.
Old 23 July 2019, 10:11   #27
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

ASMR is great if it works for you, unfortunately it doesn't for everyone. I like Microphone scratching, nails tapping on a wooden box types of things and have some success with trigger words depending on who voices it. This is one of my favorite scratching videos:

[ Show youtube player ]

If your brain is really racing about something - and that can be anything including "the tetris effect" from playing the same game too much, a good ASMR video can help to do a mental reset.
Old 23 July 2019, 16:45   #28
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
This isn't something I ever expected to see here. Having said that, I'd like to thank the OP so much for posting this. I have more mental health issues than any of you will ever know.
Do not underestimate us mate, please.

Firstly, surviving genocide and after starting from 0 multiple times in first 3 decades of my life made me realize that hate is very unhealthy and having explosive personality mixed with ADHD and few other things can lead to many unneeded and unhealthy conflicts.

Speaking on forums - what really agitates me when someone starts to take control of where discussion is going. This makes it hard to be part of hardly moderated forums and I really try to avoid them and this lead to my partial self ban from this site for couple of years. (RIP total-emu )

From my personal experience, people can evolve, change, heal and find a way to cope with their loss or issue(s), just give them enough time and room. One of my biggest regrets in life is that I did not help a friend whose problems (mainly from drinking and later mental issues) I did not understand at the time - he took his life after developing high level of schizophrenia.

My views on many things have changed in past 20 years and are still changing.

Video games, books and movies, retro computers and gaming and family is mainly what keeps me going. This forum is part of it. Living in game such as Elite Dangerous - with whole galaxy to explore - run through... Or just trying something new...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanm1991 View Post
I use Alexa at home, and it can play ambient noise / sounds.

https://alexasounds.com/

Not that we need it in past 2 months. We had more rain then in past 10 years.

Last edited by Anubis; 23 July 2019 at 16:51.
Old 23 July 2019, 19:20   #29
Zak
Zap´em

Quote:
ASMR is great if it works for you, unfortunately it doesn't for everyone. I like Microphone scratching, nails tapping on a wooden box types of things and have some success with trigger words depending on who voices it.
People that don't have ASMR effects often get relaxation from ASMR roleplays.
[ Show youtube player ]

I personally like light triggers and measuring videos. I also like dental picks on the mic.
[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 23 July 2019, 22:51   #30
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Thanks for the various recommendations.
Old 23 July 2019, 23:08   #31
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Quote:
Rainymood.com

Goes perfectly hand in hand with some of Mike Oldfield's "chill out" tunes:
https://rainymood.com/watch?v=MU9XRg5W4LQ
https://rainymood.com/watch?v=V3R3SL2LMzg
Old 24 July 2019, 02:35   #32
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay View Post
Rainymood.com

I was Waiting for Mike Oldfield to be Brought up. What Talent! Ambient, Spooky and Original
Old 24 July 2019, 02:40   #33
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post

Firstly, surviving genocide and after starting from 0 multiple times in first 3 decades of my life made me realize that hate is very unhealthy and having explosive personality mixed with ADHD and few other things can lead to many unneeded and unhealthy conflicts.

Speaking on forums - what really agitates me when someone starts to take control of where discussion is going. This makes it hard to be part of hardly moderated forums and I really try to avoid them and this lead to my partial self ban from this site for couple of years. (RIP total-emu )

From my personal experience, people can evolve, change, heal and find a way to cope with their loss or issue(s), just give them enough time and room. One of my biggest regrets in life is that I did not help a friend whose problems (mainly from drinking and later mental issues) I did not understand at the time - he took his life after developing high level of schizophrenia.

My views on many things have changed in past 20 years and are still changing.

Video games, books and movies, retro computers and gaming and family is mainly what keeps me going. This forum is part of it. Living in game such as Elite Dangerous - with whole galaxy to explore - run through... Or just trying something new...

I use Alexa at home, and it can play ambient noise / sounds.

https://alexasounds.com/

Not that we need it in past 2 months. We had more rain then in past 10 years.
Retro Keeps me going too buddy along with this Forum and a few other Things.

Please do not Regret what Happened to your Friend, sometimes you think you may be helping by taking a Step back and it isn't always the case. That doesn't make you Remotely to blame at all. Remember the Good times.

Mental Health is Scary and Before I could Admit to Myself that I needed a little bit of extra help when it comes to Coping, it used to Scare me!

Gaining a Understanding of it I think comes with Age Buddy it took me a long time to Accept I am Different
Old 24 July 2019, 05:44   #34
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis
Wasn't underestimating anyone, it's just uncommon to see mental health mentioned on a retro computing forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis
This is exactly where I am heading. And I feel like there's absolutely nothing I can do about it.

Quote:
ASMR is great if it works for you, unfortunately it doesn't for everyone. I like Microphone scratching, nails tapping on a wooden box types of things and have some success with trigger words depending on who voices it. This is one of my favorite scratching videos:

[ Show youtube player ]
I'm sorry, but I have no idea how listening to annoying sounds can possibly be helpful. Why wouldn't you just listen to silence, or some music that you liked?
Old 24 July 2019, 05:45   #35
jmmijo

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I have no idea how listening to annoying sounds can possibly be helpful. Why wouldn't you just listen to silence, or some music that you liked?
Like the old Simon and Garfunkel tune:

Sound of Silence
Old 24 July 2019, 15:29   #36
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay View Post
Rainymood.com

It is on some of my playlist, mostly with Jean Michel Jarre. Some of this music brings back memories...

Quote:
Retro Keeps me going too buddy along with this Forum and a few other Things.

Please do not Regret what Happened to your Friend, sometimes you think you may be helping by taking a Step back and it isn't always the case. That doesn't make you Remotely to blame at all. Remember the Good times.

Mental Health is Scary and Before I could Admit to Myself that I needed a little bit of extra help when it comes to Coping, it used to Scare me!

Gaining a Understanding of it I think comes with Age Buddy it took me a long time to Accept I am Different
I asked my self what could I have done differently to make change, and it is hard to imagine different results. At the time I got married, worked around 50 hours a week and was going to college. In that pressure was easy to forget all issues, but also some people that meant a lot to me in childhood. Probably would not change much, if I did anything differently, except probably make me feel better.

Quote:
Wasn't underestimating anyone, it's just uncommon to see mental health mentioned on a retro computing forum.
Usually people don't write those in profile... wonder why not.

Quote:
This is exactly where I am heading. And I feel like there's absolutely nothing I can do about it.
Professional help is what you really should focus on. Sure, we all think we have all wisdom of the world, but really just someone trained in this stuff is able to help you.

Quote:
It does not have to be annoying music. How about [ Show youtube player ]- this moody music does wonder for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo View Post
Like the old Simon and Garfunkel tune:

Sound of Silence
Not sure why, but first things that comes after that song for me has to be [ Show youtube player ].
Old 24 July 2019, 16:34   #37
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

This one came to my mind :
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 24 July 2019, 17:01   #38
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Ouch...

Video unavailable
The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

I do like the song, tho.
Old 25 July 2019, 11:37   #39
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Firstly, surviving genocide
... another one of those things you just never expect to be dropped into a conversation so casually!
Old 26 July 2019, 04:25   #40
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Apologies on Absence! as I have Stated in other Topics I Created my Mental health has gotten the Better of me the Past Couple of Days! just Needed a Breather!