English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 September 2013, 00:26   #21
demolition
Unregistered User

Did you ever find a solution for this?

I am trying to fix this issue in my 600 with ACA620, A604 and Indivision ECS, however the problem was also occasionally there when it was completely plain. My other 600 has the same symptoms, so I'm not blaming the IndyECS 100% although it could be making the problem worse. I read somewhere else that it would be worse when the 5V line was too low. In my 600 with any of my PSUs it is max. 4.8V. At the PSU it is 5V, but loses 0.2V through the Amiga power cable. However, it has always been like that and doesn't explain why it used to work when the Amiga was newer.

I am thinking it could be timing problems between Denise and U34 as the joystick signals are clocked through the multiplexer and left/up are multiplexed together as M0V into Denise.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 19 September 2013, 01:33   #22
jimbob

Is this the thread you remember -

http://eab.abime.net/support-hardwar...tick-port.html

Is this still the same one you had trouble with back then? All I discovered back then was that a good 5V made the problem go away. Suspect you are right about mouse signal capture timing being messed up. ie. denise shifts to reading left while the up output from U34 is still transitioning. Perhaps the up left fault shows up first with weakening 5V due to chip internals or PCB layout.

I think the IC products being installed is kinda a red herring, just additional load on the power supply.
Old 19 September 2013, 09:41   #23
demolition
Unregistered User

Yes, that's the thread I was thinking about. The problem seemed to be solved back then but since I then installed an Indivision ECS in it, the problem reappeared and is even worse than it was before.

Since I haven't really used that Amiga for gaming, the problem was low priority on my to-do list but as I am done with most of my other projects, this one is back to attention.
Old 19 September 2013, 09:46   #24
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Had this issue before, it was a dodgy connection on the edge connector to the A603/4 etc etc.

Gave the edge connector a good clean and it all worked perfect.
Old 19 September 2013, 10:04   #25
demolition
Unregistered User

I cleaned the connector about a year ago before it got a chipmem expansion, but I guess it won't hurt to try cleaning it again. But since the problem was already present (although less severe) before anything was installed on the connector, I doubt that it will solve it completely.
Old 19 September 2013, 11:29   #26
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

I've had this problem since I got my A600
And never managed to resolve it. I just learned to live with it
It's ok in Workbench. And in mouse/keyboard controlled games. Also some games don't need UP (Kid Chaos).
But if someone finds a definitive cure for this, I would most certainly be interested
Old 19 September 2013, 12:51   #27
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I cleaned the connector about a year ago before it got a chipmem expansion, but I guess it won't hurt to try cleaning it again. But since the problem was already present (although less severe) before anything was installed on the connector, I doubt that it will solve it completely.
Sorry, I was replying to steve, yours wont be related, .
I would certainly check for damage from cap leakage. I had one were it damaged track all the way down by the edge connector.
That had port issues if I recall.
Old 21 October 2013, 10:31   #28
arti040
Piotr

Since yesterday i fight with the same issue. I've noticed 5V is very low (~4.68V) and one capacitor near power supply port (47, 16V) is slightly crowned. Today i'll replace it and have a hope it will help...
Old 21 October 2013, 15:08   #29
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hey guys,

I replaced the Motherboard a long time ago and with that I've not had any problems since, I tried the suggestions cleaning, etc.

Re-capping might help, my latest board has new caps (like all my Amiga's these days!) but the old board I can't remember what happened to it, I think it went to Zetr0 as a faulty board to mod for 1mb chip Ram mod.

Once hardware enters Zetr0's Amiga Graveyard it's rarely seen again
Old 21 October 2013, 23:07   #30
amigoun

I have the same problem with joystick in case I use the A603 or A604 memory expansion. With my old chipram exp. everything works fine, but I wanted to use IndyECS so I have to live with it. But after some time of amiga working (15-20 minutes or so) up+right problem dissapears and joystick directions start to work fine. I am not much happy but I must live with it.
My friend had exactly the same problem with his A600+A603 and tried even the re-caping but it unfortunately didnt help and the problem persisted.
Old 21 October 2013, 23:36   #31
arti040
Piotr

Did anyone ask Jens about that?
Old 22 October 2013, 00:31   #32
amigoun

Yes, I reported problem to Jens 3 years ago. He replied that there's hardly any co-relation between the memory slot and the joystick ports, so he have a hard time finding an explanation on a hardware level.
Old 22 October 2013, 09:57   #33
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigoun View Post
Yes, I reported problem to Jens 3 years ago. He replied that there's hardly any co-relation between the memory slot and the joystick ports, so he have a hard time finding an explanation on a hardware level.
That connection could be through the supply lines (noise), since we know that it can some times be helped by increasing the voltage level on the 5V line. I just found out that one of my PSUs provides 5.1V where all my other ones give 4.8V inside the Amiga, so I will try to see if that solves my problem.
Old 22 October 2013, 20:23   #34
jimbob

Was just thinking the trouble could be if Jens new memory cards have faster refresh times on the DRAM chips this could be the secondary cause. Faster refresh time would mean greater current draw during refresh = greater disturbance to the PSU. I'm pretty certain it is ropey 5V mainly responsible. I can have a perfectly working A600 and if I dial down the 5V this fault will appear, dial it down a bit more and more mouse/joyport faults appear and much lower than that the amiga crashes.
Old 22 February 2016, 10:38   #35
demolition
Unregistered User

I just tried replacing U34 in my 600 with a brand new 74LS157 but it didn't fix this problem. If anything, it seems it might have made it slightly worse. So I don't think this is the culprit like suggested elsewhere.
Old 22 February 2016, 12:27   #36
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Was just thinking the trouble could be if Jens new memory cards have faster refresh times on the DRAM chips this could be the secondary cause. Faster refresh time would mean greater current draw during refresh = greater disturbance to the PSU. I'm pretty certain it is ropey 5V mainly responsible. I can have a perfectly working A600 and if I dial down the 5V this fault will appear, dial it down a bit more and more mouse/joyport faults appear and much lower than that the amiga crashes.
You're using new amiga gear, but is your PSU or PSUs been recapped with brand new quality capacitors ?
Old 22 February 2016, 12:34   #37
demolition
Unregistered User

For me, I have tried several PSUs with no difference. My main PSU is based on an 80W PicoPSU so it is modern with plenty of power. It does seem to be worse when I add stuff like Indivision and RapidRoad which also indicates that the lower 5V level could be the main issue.
Old 22 February 2016, 13:05   #38
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
very strange. Those new hardware board are using low power/current right ?

i'm not that convinced with those new PSUs, the amiga is really that happy.
Old 22 February 2016, 13:16   #39
demolition
Unregistered User

As I mentioned, I tried different PSUs, including the regular, heavy 2.5A model as well as the light 4.5A type, all with similar results, however the 5V level was around 4.75 V inside the Amiga using all types which it probably due to a voltage drop in either the cable or the connector.

The large 300W+ ATX PSUs are not good since they are mainly designed to provide a good 12V level, but I think that the PicoPSU is much better since its main job is to convert 12V into 5V. Also, my PicoPSU is the original, not one of the cheap copies out there which is probably of lower quality.

Edit: The expansions doesn't use that much power individually, but it still adds up on top of the original power draw of the Amiga.
Old 22 February 2016, 14:22   #40
bebek

Remove all 6800pF from the filters between joystick connector and IC.
AdSense AdSense