English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 20 May 2011, 16:43   #101
chocolate_boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDTV1991 View Post

So the next question is can I run WHDload games from a CD? (providing my CDTV is modified to include the Extended EPROMs + Kickstart EPROM (to give a dual KS1.3/3.1) and a RAM upgrade).
Sorry to piss on your fire, but iirc upgrading the kickstart does work but it disables the CD-ROM drive.
Old 20 May 2011, 19:50   #102
Photon

I don't know if any of the two most recent ram/ide expansions fit on the 68000 socket? That and a CF card would be great.

You need kick 3.1 for WHDLoad, which is really the only feasible way to run the usual trackdisk based games.

Since many games use near the full 512k chipmem you do need 1 MB chipmem for some games, regardless of how much fastmem you have in the machine. Minimegi is the ticket.

If you can get WHDLoad+games on a CD, 2MB chipmem and kick 3.1 might be enough for quite a few games. WHDload guys can tell you if I'm being unrealistic with the hardware spec, and of course some games may have problems with being on a read-only media as mentioned.

Haven't tried the floppy emulator so I couldn't recommend it, but if you're not "expanding for general use" it could be an attractive solution with perhaps more games working with less investment.
Old 29 May 2011, 21:55   #103
CDTV1991

I've had the HxC floppy emulator installed into the machine twice and each time it goes wrong due to the tight fit and number of cables running from front to back. I'm now modifying an external floppy drive enclosure to fit the HxC inside.

I picked up an A500 for £20, which i'm hoping to de-yellow soon. I'd like to try the HxC flooy emulator on that too. I'll sell it on then.

Im resisting the urge to cash in the CDTV and bits as i've always felt like I need a real amiga in the house, even if its infrequently used. The CDTV is the coolest looking amiga too. It currently resides under the main TV in the living room, although my kids keep prodding it and jamming their fingers in the CD drive!
Old 30 September 2011, 20:53   #104
CDTV1991

Update:

Sold the black CDTV keyboard with white keys and a CDTV floppy drive to a chap in France for a tidy profit.

Bought an all black CDTV keyboard, much nicer

Tried to sell the CDTV black mouse for a hefty profit as I knew I could get another one for £20! - this failed!

Made an external, perspex case for the HxC floppy emulator, nearly finished.

My kids (1+3) keep attacking the CDTV set-up so most of it is tucked away of reach most of the time so it doesn't get enough "instant use"
Old 30 September 2011, 23:54   #105
Dreedo

Lol, be interesting to see if you can get your kids interested in Amiga gaming.

Probably scream and say it hurts their eyes if they've already been caught by the latest generation of gaming systems. :P
Old 07 October 2011, 22:34   #106
CDTV1991

I've got this back on track. Here's a pic of my set-up in its new home. It's nice to have it ready to play for half hour or so.

Completed:

- Extended ROM boot switch fitted at rear
- Amiga RGB to Scart lead - gives excellent results on my ancient telly
- Found a new CDTV mouse, old keyboard and old black CD caddy
- HxC floppy emulator and transparent external enclosure
- Wrote a Workbench CD
- Got a CDTV to amiga joystick adapter on its way (brick-ette)
- Got a Cheetah Bug joystick

After some very good advice in this thread in the past I have decided to do the following, then leave it at that:

- Fix some non-functioning keys on the keyboard

- Get the HxC drive B (DF1) working. On the AMIDISK external floppy controller board that works the HxC it appears that DF1 is not wired to the floppy connector. I'm stuck on this one but will keep trying.

- Learn and burn some more bootable Workbench type CDs, perhaps with utilities, applications and files running off the CD. A bit slow, but I like the experience.

Things I'm not going to bother with, due to effort and cost are:

- WHDload
- Upgraded ROMS
- Any form of HDD
- Memory expansion
Old 08 October 2011, 19:38   #107
CDTV1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreedo View Post
Lol, be interesting to see if you can get your kids interested in Amiga gaming.

Probably scream and say it hurts their eyes if they've already been caught by the latest generation of gaming systems. :P
They both sat and watched Speedball 2 and Fire and Ice with amazement. The youngest (1 and a bit) has never seen a computer game, the other (3) has only ever seen Forza Motorsport 3.
Old 16 October 2011, 22:25   #108
CDTV1991

I fixed a keyboard keymap and HxC Workbench disk image problem

I can now boot to Workbench via floppy (HxC) and access the CD drive

or

Boot from my bootable Workbench CD and access the floppy drive (HxC)

There's less memory available when the CD drive is able to be accessed, not that this is a problem as i'm not doing anything productive, just messing around with Workbench, applications, files and games.

Still waiting for my joystick adapter to turn up
Old 03 December 2011, 22:43   #109
CDTV1991

Ive just bought another CDTV, complete with two remotes, three black mice and a black keyboard. Got a lot of cleaning to do to that lot.

Its not arrived yet. I'm hoping to find some interesting hardware inside, although i'm unlikely to find a hard disk drive!

I'll be flogging it to fund an A1200
Old 05 December 2011, 20:52   #110
stu2000

hi CDTV1991
-was looking at that on ebay myself, if you are thinking of selling one of the wired mice, I am looking for a tatty one to repair my own wired mouse.

In accordance with the rules of forum I am happy for it to be advertised to all if needed and you are happy to sell.

regards,

stu2000

Old 06 December 2011, 00:09   #111
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The one that sold recently for £63 on Ebay is unlikely to have anything inside except the usual bits. Good deal though if it works well.
Old 07 December 2011, 00:08   #112
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Can you show a photo of the HxC? It looks exactly like mine, with the buttons and so in perspex.
Old 10 December 2011, 22:18   #113
CDTV1991

I did win that the £63 CDTV. All the bits are now up for sale. I'm trying to use that to fund my next project, which is a £17 faulty A1200 that I bought from ebay the other day.

I'm never selling the CDTV that is the subject of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
The one that sold recently for £63 on Ebay is unlikely to have anything inside except the usual bits. Good deal though if it works well.
Works perfectly and is in better condition than my own CDTV. I still want to keep my original though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Can you show a photo of the HxC? It looks exactly like mine, with the buttons and so in perspex.
Photos are in this thread

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=61244

Last edited by prowler; 10 December 2011 at 22:21. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged; please use multi-quote.