English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 03 May 2015, 13:33   #1
samaron

How to install AmigaOS 3.9 with PPC/WarpOS on A1200?

Hi everyone,

I've been struggeling for a very long time to properly set up my system with BlizzardPPC. All attempts result in flashing power LED or error messages.

My hardware configuration:
E/BOX PowerTower
Amiga 1200 revision 1D1 (freshly recapped) 3.1 ROM
BlizzardPPC rev0, upgraded by Stachu100 (060 @ 66, PPC @ 330, 256MB 50ns RAM)
Mediator 1200TX
Voodoo 3 3000
100 mbps network card
Sound Blaster 128
Indivision 1200 AGA MK2cr
FastATA MK-IV
8GB CF (primary master)
CD-ROM (secondary master)
160GB HDD (secondary slave)
Extra 5 volt soldered to floppy power connector on motherboard (Doesn't drop below 4.8 volt)

I have tried many combinations on the software. 3.9 install, 3.1 install, with and without CWB. Have tried a "stripped" install as well, where I pulled out most of the hardware.

More or less the only system installation I've been able to boot into workbench is the backup from when I used Blizzard 1260. If I install WarpUP/WarpOS, the system will not boot after restarting. Just get a flashing Power LED before it resets again. Got a few system backups from another user that I tried, the ones that booted would give me a shell window with a bunch of text when I tried to run a PPC (WarpOS) program.

Using my B1260 backup, I'm able to run ADoomPPC without issues. This is probably due to the PowerUP library in the ROM on the card. If I use bppcfix to disable the library file, it doesn't run. Installing WarpUP still does the same as before even if the ROM library file is disabled.

Regarding heat, I haven't measured anything go beyond 50°C using an IR thermometer.

I'd like to get this system up and running with AmigaOS 3.9 with Classic Workbench and WarpUP/WarpOS and all the other hardware put in. I've been able to get everything else running, like RTG, IDE devices, SB128 AHI etc. My issues begin when trying to install the PPC part. Does anyone know how to install this PPC card properly? Would appreciate any help in this matter.

Last edited by samaron; 09 May 2015 at 19:49.
Old 03 May 2015, 17:04   #2
Zooup1972

Try downloading and installing from here
Download.haage-partner.de/Amiga/WarpUP/
Install warp4...then warp4update..then warp51
This worked for me
Old 04 May 2015, 08:42   #3
stachu100

There are two systems to support PowerPC CPU's on phase5 cards: PowerUP developed by phase5 for phase5 cards (sounds logical, isn't it?) and WarpUP developed for AOS3.9 (don't remember about AOS3.5) by Haage-Partner. They were incompatible between each other. What is interesting that ppc.library (or powerpc.library, don't remember now, writing from the smartphone) developed by phase5 is in BlizzardPPC flash memory. And you must switch it off BEFORE loading AOS3.9. Otherwise phase5 library will crash the system.
That is why I have sent you ready AOS3.9 system on HDD to test everything.......,......................

But you have refused to use system installed on HDD (why???????).
And save a lot of time and frustration.
Old 04 May 2015, 08:47   #4
stachu100

The name of this magic program is BPPCfix. :-)

http://cd.textfiles.com/amigaplus/so...BPPCFix.readme
Old 04 May 2015, 10:20   #5
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I'm facing now the same problems you've got as I want to install a BPPC/BVision from scratch. I know it works as it works with a couple of HD's I've got.

Yesterday I installed WarpOS and I was having a message to Terminate the ppc library. Then I found this program on Aminet, ppclibemu
http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/ppclibemu

After installing it it wasn't booting but till I used BPPCFix. You can get it from here http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/BPPCFix-GUI.

Now on WinUAE it doesn't show the message to terminate the library.

But I have to try all yet on the real miggy . Also the BVision installation is driving me nuts.
Old 04 May 2015, 13:47   #6
twizzle

samaron.
FastATA MK-IV CF/SATA ?
if you have fast ata. asking for A4000 ata driver, " cannot find A4000 ATA Driver"..then you have the wrong software, on the install disk

Elbox put the A4000 software on the A1200 install disk...took me a while to sort this out with Elbox..
there fast ata download link for the A1200 now works.

if you have reboot software installed. BPPCFIX etc..elbox suggest putting Setpatch after Fast ATA in startup sequence.
i have a simmilar system too yours,i have a duel boot..0S3.5 /OS 4, i still have problems booting up after years of trying to fix this..

back after 5 years of playing an online war game.LoL.

Last edited by twizzle; 04 May 2015 at 19:56.
Old 09 May 2015, 20:16   #7
samaron

Sorry for the late reply guys! Haven't had the time to tinker with the tower setup this week.

Last I tried your HDD, Stachu100, it wouldn't work. Or, it booted into workbench but the computer froze before it loaded properly. Just got a white screen with the bar at the top that said "workbench". I put it away and almost forgot about it. Set it up again today since I have a new motherboard with a different revision, and to my surprise it started properly! Got a bunch of errors because of missing volumes and such, but the computer didn't freeze this time. Guess this is a good thing.

I've been using CF cards for the system because of practical reasons. If I were to mess up, I'd just copy over the backup with WinUAE. Really quick to just pull out the CF card and just stick it in my PC. I will be using the SCSI HDD once the system is properly set up the way I want it.

I have also replaced the power supply. Got a 300 watt AT power supply from eBay and have now some improved values on the voltage. I now measure a stable 5 volt on the PPC fan connector, used to be 4,8 volt.

The PPC library thing is a big mess. Took a while before I understood it properly. PowerUP is the original Phase5 library and WarpUP/WarpOS is the Haage-Partner library. Seems like most software is made to work with WarpOS, so my understanding is that this is most recommended to use. I read about BPPCFix to kill the library in the ROM, but read also that it is recommended to use ppclibemu to emulate the original PowerUP to gain compatibility with software made for it.

Don't have more time to test things today, hopefully I'll get more time tomorrow.
Old 09 May 2015, 21:43   #8
stachu100

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaron View Post
Last I tried your HDD, Stachu100, it wouldn't work.
As I wrote you half year back you MUST remove Mediator first.
System is configured for BVision.
Old 09 May 2015, 22:03   #9
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Isn't it supossed that if the system doesn't detect a BVision it won't use it although it is on Devs/Monitors? I think that it should run for him and he only should install then cybergraph for the graphic board. Just my idea.
Old 31 May 2015, 19:43   #10
samaron

Sorry for the late reply/update guys.

I tried both with and without mediator connected. I stripped the system completely and it still froze. When I tried the SCSI HDD a couple of weeks ago everything was connected, including the Mediator. Booted fine.

Tinkered with the system a little bit today. I think I've made some sort of progress now. No matter what I tried, the system wouldn't boot with a fresh system install. It would just flash the power LED and reboot just before the workbench would've shown on the monitor. Found a combination that actually worked now. AmigaOS 3.9 with Classic Workbench and updated to Boing Bag 4. Also copied over the latest 040/060 libraries. I installed WarpUP 4.0, 4.0 update and 5.1, rebooted and the workbench booted up without freezing! I were also greeted with the message telling me to terminate the ppc.library file. Awesome, eh? Now the other fun starts...

I copied over BPPCFix to C, and added "C:BPPCFix >NIL: install 040" as the first line in the Startup-Sequence file. Turned off the computer and started it up again. Now I'm back at the start again, got a flashing power LED... Tried several combinations of the string:
C:BPPCFix >NIL: install 040
BPPCFix >NIL: install 040
C:BPPCFix install 040 >NIL:
BPPCFix install 040 >NIL:
C:BPPCFix install 040
BPPCFix install 040

The last two lines resulted in a shell window telling me BPPCFix is already registered or something like that and shortly after rebooted. The four first lines just gave me a black screen and flashing power LED. None would boot into workbench.

Slightly annoying. Could live with just hitting "Terminate" each time the system starts, but the 68060 library file is still downgraded because of the flash ROM on the card.

Any suggestions on how to remedy this?
Old 27 September 2017, 15:21   #11
kriz

I used this for my fix:

c:bppcfix >nil: install , in startup sequence (http://powerup.amigaworld.de/download.php?id=54) Hope you get it running again..
Old 19 December 2017, 00:58   #12
Estrayk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz View Post
I used this for my fix:

c:bppcfix >nil: install , in startup sequence (http://powerup.amigaworld.de/download.php?id=54) Hope you get it running again..
I just quote for tell thanks to kriz. This solve my problem with BPPC and WB3.9+bb3&4

thanks a lot.