Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 03 March 2015, 08:31   #41
kamelito
Zone Friend

A game/demo low level OS
Kamelito
Old 03 March 2015, 09:14   #42
abbalah

Updated SSH client with SFTP and SCP support.
Old 03 March 2015, 11:07   #43
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Graphical partition software which can make disk images and resize FFS, SFS & PFS3 partitions live without loosing data?

e.g. backup your hard drive, restore to a bigger hard drive, expand to the full capacity of that drive
Old 03 March 2015, 11:38   #44
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Graphical partition software which can make disk images and resize FFS, SFS & PFS3 partitions live without loosing data?

e.g. backup your hard drive, restore to a bigger hard drive, expand to the full capacity of that drive
Could also be useful to have a PC-based partitioning tool for Amiga formats. Since many people are preparing their CF cards on the PC anyway, it could then be used to (re)partition CF cards / HDDs automatically without all the hassle of having to worry about MaxTransfer, DosTypes etc. Just create your partitions, select your file system of choice, and there you go. All formatted and ready to use. Start with PFS3 support and add FFS/SFS if anyone can be bothered.
Old 03 March 2015, 12:43   #45
kamelito
Zone Friend

Well I suppose that Galahad mean Amiga software not software running on another platform than Amiga.

Kamelito
Old 03 March 2015, 12:54   #46
vagrant

Not exactly new software.. but I've thought about how cool it would be for whdload games to have some sort of trophy/achievement system.. similar to that of PSN, XBlive , with online leaderboard etc.
Some file that is dumped to the game dir when it is quit, which can be uploaded online.
If amiga owners are not online, it can be transferred to another platform and done that way.

It wouldn't have to be limited to whdload either, newly developed games could make use of it..

Could be a real boost for the amiga gaming community!
Or it could be an overly ambitious undertaking that nobody really cares about
Old 03 March 2015, 13:18   #47
NorthWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Is Piccon the best of its type?
You tell me...

I like it a lot and it is 100% OS based. A few odd hits IIRC. The author said he had lost the sources IIRC. Which is why I want a bugfixed Resource so as to break it down and rebuild it.

Resource also needs an export file mode that does not contain the original data so that disassembled versions can be spread without any copyright police pulling you over.
Add a way to merge export/.rs files too!

One more: I'd like to see a versioning filesystem.
Whenever someone releases a new standalone FPGA Amiga that I can buy then I'll start working on one. Something based around FAT would probably be the most basic you could do.

Last edited by TCD; 03 March 2015 at 13:20. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 03 March 2015, 13:34   #48
Vot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWay View Post
You tell me...

I like it a lot and it is 100% OS based. A few odd hits IIRC. The author said he had lost the sources IIRC. Which is why I want a bugfixed Resource so as to break it down and rebuild it.

Resource also needs an export file mode that does not contain the original data so that disassembled versions can be spread without any copyright police pulling you over.

Whenever someone releases a new standalone FPGA Amiga that I can buy then I'll start working on one. Something based around FAT would probably be the most basic you could do.

Versioning or journaling or both?
Old 03 March 2015, 15:42   #49
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

A Tinder client so us 40+ Amiga nerds can find girlfriends
Old 03 March 2015, 17:21   #50
NorthWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vot View Post
Versioning or journaling or both?
Good question. Or perhaps N/A.

The short answer is not journaling.
The slightly longer answer is that I hope it shakes out to be a bit like FreeBSD UFS(?) in that you use ordered writes and have no need for journaling. Hopefully a greedy allocator requiring more space than "optimal" can give some guarantees so you don't get too many corner cases that suddenly breaks down the promised operation.
That is an interesting thing to find out.
Old 03 March 2015, 19:04   #51
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWay View Post
You tell me...

What does Piccon need to be able to do that it currently can't?
Old 03 March 2015, 19:26   #52
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post

Guess even a decent diagnostic tool might suffice, especially for FFS, SFS...

btw open source so can be ported on AROS too ^^
Old 03 March 2015, 23:35   #53
NorthWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
What does Piccon need to be able to do that it currently can't?
Well, this is the embarrassing part as I don't remember any longer :-(

I used it last time my 4000 was working and there was something I tried to get done which I couldn't find any function for. I think it was some way of storing either a full screen or bobs that it didn't do.
Or perhaps I wanted it to divide the screen in X by Y pieces and save each out as a bob?

You can see how long it has been since I've touched my machines. Sad really. I have a broken 4000, not-feeling-well 3000, and two 2000s without ps...
All I remember from last time using Piccon was that I know I have found some bugs, and that I decided I would have to store the data as raw and code for myself to store it the way I wanted.
(And I also think it has a tendency to switch screenmode when you load a new picture - really annoying when you just wanted to have the pixels shown in your chosen mode.)

There must be somebody else here who are banging the blitter for fun, what functions do you use in your preferred raw conversion tool?

EDIT: Now I remember. I found this font http://www.algonet.se/~guld1/fonts/197.gif and wanted to save out the letters, though I can't remember the exact format I wanted.
The gif size does not fit 32x32 and I think Piccon would only let me save out based on the picture size. I really needed to either set a fixed screen size, blank it, and then "import" the file into it, or Piccon should ignore the size and save out filler 0s when the grid setting would not fit the loaded size.

(Now please bring on the next-gen FPGA-based machines. How long have we been waiting? 2 years? 4? 6?)

Last edited by NorthWay; 04 March 2015 at 23:50. Reason: I want a new machine - and now I remembered
Old 26 March 2015, 05:43   #54
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican3 View Post
Myself, i would like to see an easy tool to display 32 colours pictures or 64 colours pics and playing sound in the same time.
something like play img0001 to img1500 sound.8svx (or music.mod).
With that it should be easier to copy megacd intros or else and use them for making cd32 intros. cdxl is ham and ham is too heavy for making fullscreen videos. Perhaps i'm wrong and it eist already, then if someone could make an easy tutorial ?
Thank you for the question fairlight.
Good idea. Maybe if the player contained in avi4hv.zip could be rewritten to have a minimal Workbench GUI, and if the converter could be ported to AmigaOS...

Someone could then write a ffmpeg GUI in ARexx to convert, scale and demux MPG and MP4 videos to AVI. Then anyone could convert videos using entirely an Amiga.
Old 30 March 2015, 09:37   #55
oRBIT
Zone Friend

The Amiga needs some good software for development. Perhaps something similar to "Microsoft Visual Studio" which also makes designing GUI's pretty simple.
Old 30 March 2015, 15:00   #56
gulliver
BoingBagged

A Sega Genesys emulator with sound.
A SNES emulator with sound.
In both cases a native (OCS/ECS/AGA+paula) and RTG+AHI version would be really cool.

There is a an old version of AmiGenerator that works on a 68040, but has no sound.
There are many 68k SNES emulator that dont have sound support and are incomplete in one way or the other.
Old 30 March 2015, 15:19   #57
Cobe

Atari 2600 would be nice for a start too. For low spec Amigas if it's possible.

As I know:
Electrostatic works only with 2 & 4k roms.
V2600 isn't that "fast"...
And Stella requires FPU.
Old 30 March 2015, 15:52   #58
Locutus

a modern port of OpenSSH is all i would want.
Old 30 March 2015, 18:48   #59
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Over in the Atari ST world. One of their most active experimental coders has created a tool called PhotoChrome to generate very good still images using Atari ST(e) palette tweaking, colour dithering and interlaced images where each field has different colours. The overall result is a big difference in the perceived number of colours. Images look perceivably better than those previously created using techniques such as Spectrum512.

http://www.leonik.net/dml/sec_pcs.py

I wonder if some of the techniques exist on the Amiga? If not could they be used to generate amazing looking 2D still images above what HAM-6, HAM-8 and SHM have been capable of?

The code is open-source and Doug is very chatty.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 30 March 2015, 21:12   #60
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by invent View Post
Something to design game maps with? On the mac,pc,linux there is Tiled I haven't looked to see if the data can be somehow exported for Amiga's.
I have created a simple level design program called Tile Master. It's currently unreleased as it still has a few minor bugs I want to fix at some point (probably once I've finished my current game). However, I did upload a short video about it to YouTube a while back...

[ Show youtube player ]

It's made using AMOS, but is very usable - well, I think so!