English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 02 January 2012, 00:31   #21
diablothe2nd

just wanna add my two pennies and leave a positive remark for the Amigakit cable.

all i'll say is, "I'm NEVER going back to composite!"

I did have to remove/rem out some monitors in the prefs drawer for applications like Lightwave and Real3D as they were picking resolutions that weren't acceptible for scart. but aside from that the pixels are really crisp! not quite as crisp as running an emulator through the DVI port but hey, that's expected!

if you never plan on buying an indivision, or even if you do! this is definitely one of those things in your "should/must by" lists.
Old 02 January 2012, 19:25   #22
Mr B

I got this cable "a while ago" on a Sony Bravia, it ghosts a bit. I assume this is more due to the Sony LCD TV rather then the cable. On my own LG 42LX650n, the screen flickers. Hey, i'm trying to be funny. The screen is actually just black, with a single frame of the workbench showing up every now and then. The TV simply has no idea what the video-signal from the Amiga means. So i'm waiting, and hoping that the Indivision MKII will sort me out, so i finally can get to playing with my miggy.
B!
Old 13 January 2012, 13:38   #23
Amiga1992

As I said before, I just got this cable:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110799485669
No ghosting or any other issues, it looks just great and sharp. It also changes to the input when I turn on the Amiga.

In brief, it works perfectly and it was really cheap. No reason to pay more for the same thing just "because it comes from an Amiga shop". I really don't find that helpful, teh economy is harsh and every little we can save is beneficial, and we're talking about an item HALF the price here that performs exactly as fine as the other.

You have to be careful though, some SCART ports are just not wired for RGB even in today's TVs. It seems one of my ports is and one isn't, which I find totally retarded, but that;'s how it is. So this cable won't work unless you have an RGB input on the SCART port.
Old 13 January 2012, 13:49   #24
retrogamer
Zone Friend

Does it works with european scarts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
As I said before, I just got this cable:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110799485669
No ghosting or any other issues, it looks just great and sharp. It also changes to the input when I turn on the Amiga.

In brief, it works perfectly and it was really cheap. No reason to pay more for the same thing just "because it comes from an Amiga shop". I really don't find that helpful, teh economy is harsh and every little we can save is beneficial, and we're talking about an item HALF the price here that performs exactly as fine as the other.

You have to be careful though, some SCART ports are just not wired for RGB even in today's TVs. It seems one of my ports is and one isn't, which I find totally retarded, but that;'s how it is. So this cable won't work unless you have an RGB input on the SCART port.
Old 13 January 2012, 13:51   #25
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
I got this cable "a while ago" on a Sony Bravia, it ghosts a bit. I assume this is more due to the Sony LCD TV rather then the cable.
It's probably the internal "analog to digital conversion" that ghosts a bit. You can cleary see it on LCD/Plasma TVs while a game scrolls. So yes, the new Indiavision with DVI out (which also works with a DVI to HDMI adapter) will probably fix it.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 13 January 2012 at 14:02.
Old 13 January 2012, 14:06   #26
Mr B

Nerd, i dunno what is causing it, all i know is that i have faint reproductions like every fourth of the way across the screen, from left to right. Easily seen when the workbench loads up, as the left border of the screen is reproduced on a gray background. On the other hand it was still a good gaming experience, so i left it at that... Haven't been able to test it on any more TV's then the two, so in all honesty, it could be something with the cable, but i doubt it. It's most likely something with the TV, but what, who knows. It's not your average ghosting of moving objects, so it's pretty easy to "learn to ignore it" and it's hard to see at all if the screen is brightly colored.
B!
Old 13 January 2012, 14:15   #27
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Sure, it depends on the TV what artefacts you get on modern HDTV displays with analog cable connections.
Old 13 January 2012, 14:27   #28
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
I managed to force my non-autoswitching TV to RGB when displaying the output from an Archimedes 3000 by applying a DC voltage to one of the SCART pins. In addition, I could switch it to Widescreen RGB by increasing the voltage somewhat.

If you're interested in how to do this, I'll add a link to my post in Charlie's QUBE RiscOS forum.
Yep, it's a part of the SCART specification. The AmigaKit SCART cables (and presumably others too built by people who know what they're doing) have this taken care of using the Amiga's power on the RGB port and some resistors. Some other cables don't do this however, and while that usually works fine on an older TV (which just puts the RGB signal straight through to the video circuits), a modern TV can be hit and miss when it comes to accepting the signal.
Old 13 January 2012, 20:06   #29
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrogamer View Post
Does it works with european scarts?
You are right, I linked you to the XRGB2 one. Sorry.
This seller has the EUROPEAN SCART cable, which is what I got. Send them a message.
Old 01 April 2014, 11:06   #30
AndersHP

Just to bring this topic back to life, I bought the AmigaKit cable in the end:
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=778

The cable has been working perfect on my 46" Panasonic plasma (full hd compatible).
Recently we moved, and now I'm using my Amiga in the basement on a 42" Panasonic plasma instead (720p compatible).

The problem now is that the left of the screen gets cut out. I changed the settings in Workbench "Overscan" feature, which was cool, but games are unaffected by this.

In Moonstone, for instance, I would guess the screen is cut about 5% on the left hand side.

The two tv's are pretty much the same (Panasonic 46"PZ85 vs. Panasonic 42"PX80), only major difference is the max resolution of 1080p vs 720p. and of course the physical screen size....

Any suggestions to avoid the screen-cutting?
Old 01 April 2014, 11:25   #31
Mr B

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersHP View Post
Any suggestions to avoid the screen-cutting?
Contact Panasonic. Usually they have a bunch of setting relating to game consoles and how they display on the screen, so i'm guessing they might have an idea for a way to center it.
Old 01 April 2014, 21:09   #32
Higgy

I used the 'Service Menu' on my Panasonic LCD (prob 5 years old TV). Shifted the Horiz & Vert position.

I had to look long and hard for the codes to access the service menu + there is a chance to screw up TV if you change the wrong thing.

Just got a RGB - VGA adaptor through the post (GBS-8220) so I am currently playing with that.

Having the AMIGA setup downstairs in the living room did not go down too well, so I am trying to utilise my PC monitor which has multiple inputs.
Old 02 April 2014, 08:16   #33
AndersHP

I've contacted Panasonic.

Higgy, could you PM me with how you accessed the service menu?
Does the changes you made only affect the corresponding input-channel or the entire tv in general? I wouldn't want the HDMI channel to end up wrong...
Old 02 April 2014, 19:08   #34
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I have a Panasonic Plasma TV. To get the left hand side back you have to enter the 'Settings' Menu and turn off overscan.

The RGB to Scart I use scrolls the picture from top left to bottom right on my A1200? Is it the cable or the TV? It displays RGB O.K as it displays 'AV2 RGB' on Screen.
Old 03 April 2014, 00:27   #35
Higgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersHP View Post
I've contacted Panasonic.

Higgy, could you PM me with how you accessed the service menu?
Does the changes you made only affect the corresponding input-channel or the entire tv in general? I wouldn't want the HDMI channel to end up wrong...
It does just change the input channel you want, or I have not noticed normal TV etc being shifted.

I will have to look for the code, as I dont know where I wrote it down. Google search should help, i think I got it from avforums.

From memory a button was held down and TV turned on then another button pressed 3 times.
Old 03 April 2014, 01:02   #36
Mr B

From google i got this:

hold down V- button on TV and press 0 (vcr) button on remote 5 times

Other sources say 3 times.

All sources agree on that you should be VERY, no, EXTREMLY carefull with what you do in here. Especially in the "remote" section of the menu. Apparently you can lock your self out of the TV set, with no way to get back in, and undo the changes. Just don't play around in the remote section, and "everything" can be fixed, if you screw up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
I will have to look for the code, as I dont know where I wrote it down. Google search should help, i think I got it from avforums.
From here?
Old 03 April 2014, 11:33   #37
Higgy

Yes the instructions you first typed sound right.

The V- button is the one on the actual TV, NOT remote as you turn it on. Then press the 0 3-5 times.

The two left hand coloured buttons allow you to navigate the service menu (RED & YELLOW).

Make sure you have the AMIGA plugged in and running.

I can't remember the actual setting, but you are looking for H & V POSN.

From memory this also wipes your settings, so you will need to retype your INPUT labels (if you labeled them), retune etc.

If your Panny is like mine, the brightness, colour etc don't have number values, they just have a scale on a bar, so you might need to make a note of those, because I think all of that also goes to 'factory reset' settings.
Old 06 May 2014, 15:27   #38
AndersHP

Thanks for all the replies in here, guys.

Even though I totally fumbled around blindly inside the Panasonic Service Menu, not having a clue of what I was doing (NOT user friendly stuff!), I managed to adjust the positioning and hit save, and now the display is fully functional with the Amiga!

Great!
Old 06 May 2014, 19:29   #39
Higgy

Glad you got the picture sorted.
Old 25 April 2015, 01:43   #40
jools_

It's a hard day's knight Can't believe someone else is playing moonstone these days.

If you use classic workbench: there is an option to adjust overscan. Maybe it's in the original workbench too. Maybe do that if screen is cut off.