English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 21 November 2017, 21:01   #21
Foebane
Banned

I've given up emulating the Atari ST/E, as the only emulator that worked for me with demos 100% until recently was Steem SSE, but it has had various issues with sound and now, with the latest release, you have to specify certain "wait state" values which I haven't got time to determine which is the optimum WS for specific demos. Besides, I only emulated the ST in the first place because I owned one in 1990 for a few months, and I personally hated the AY sound chip in it.

And the author seems to have a massive ego, as he fancies himself something of an action movie star (the SSE literally stands for "Steven Seagal Edition") and the main credits screen lists every single action movie star over the last 30-40 years, instead of any useful contributors.

Nope, as far as I can see, there are no good Atari ST/E emulators out there (Hatari I found far too slow to do things). Maybe put that down to my impatience, but to be frank, I'd rather stick with the systems I knew, mainly Atari 600/800 XL and Amiga A500/A1200.

Last edited by Foebane; 21 November 2017 at 21:09.
Old 22 November 2017, 15:20   #22
npomarede

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Why not, indeed.
Hi, Hatari developper here

I confirm Hatari uses latest up to date WinUAE cpu core (and over the years I exchanged lots of emails with Toni, sometimes reporting issues that where not correct so far under WinUAE cpu-wise and that toni improved later)
As for the non-working games, I'd be very interested to know the list and the image format you used (msa, stx, ipf, ... ?) because as far as I know STF/STE emulation is really-really close to original HW.
Just in case, try to disable "Gemdos HD emulation" in case you configured it, as it can conflict with some protection.

I don't want to hijack the EAB forums about Atari's issues, feel free to open a thread on atari-forum.com if you like

Nicolas
Old 22 November 2017, 16:49   #23
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by npomarede View Post
I confirm Hatari uses latest up to date WinUAE cpu core (and over the years I exchanged lots of emails with Toni, sometimes reporting issues that where not correct so far under WinUAE cpu-wise and that toni improved later)
Correct handling of the cpu isn't the main problem i think.

Quote:
As for the non-working games, I'd be very interested to know the list and the image format you used (msa, stx, ipf, ... ?) because as far as I know STF/STE emulation is really-really close to original HW.
They are SPS RAW disk images.

Quote:
Just in case, try to disable "Gemdos HD emulation" in case you configured it, as it can conflict with some protection.
I didn't see such an option in the configuration panels.

Quote:
I don't want to hijack the EAB forums about Atari's issues, feel free to open a thread on atari-forum.com if you like
I don't feel like creating an account and opening a thread just for a game or two that fails. But if really you want to handle these, then feel free to PM me here.
Old 22 November 2017, 18:20   #24
npomarede

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
They are SPS RAW disk images.
Do you mean RAW CTR files (with all tracks in one files) or KF Stream format with one file per track ? The later are not supported so far by capslib. When improving capslib with Estvan (IFW) for the WD1772 we spotted several games that were not supported so far by capslib (for example Wings of death II / Lethal Xcess).
What are the name of these games that don't work for you ?

Quote:
I didn't see such an option in the configuration panels.
It's in the "hard disk" menu, press "eject" on the "Gemdos Drive" if it was associated to a directory on your PC.

Quote:
I don't feel like creating an account and opening a thread just for a game or two that fails. But if really you want to handle these, then feel free to PM me here.
Can you PM me a link to download one of those non working games so I can have a look ?
Old 22 November 2017, 18:53   #25
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Do you mean RAW CTR files (with all tracks in one files) or KF Stream format with one file per track ? The later are not supported so far by capslib. When improving capslib with Estvan (IFW) for the WD1772 we spotted several games that were not supported so far by capslib (for example Wings of death II / Lethal Xcess).
What are the name of these games that don't work for you ?

It's in the "hard disk" menu, press "eject" on the "Gemdos Drive" if it was associated to a directory on your PC.

Can you PM me a link to download one of those non working games so I can have a look ?
Check your PM. Full answer there, no more OT here.
Old 22 November 2017, 19:11   #26
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I'd have to say, from all his inane suggestions, this is probably up top.

If you want a all-in-one solution, go use MESS.
MESS doesn't exist anymore, now it's all MAME. MAME emulates everything, from arcade machines to consoles to obscure computers.

Which for those who like me, wanted to use just arcade emulators, made everything a mess because rompacks now comes with a shitload of roms and bios files for a lot of different systems
Old 22 November 2017, 20:10   #27
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
Which for those who like me, wanted to use just arcade emulators, made everything a mess because rompacks now comes with a shitload of roms and bios files for a lot of different systems
Yup, stupid move in my eyes
Old 22 November 2017, 20:22   #28
meynaf
son of 68k

Quite logical to me. If you integrate a MESS, you get a mess
Old 23 November 2017, 00:54   #29
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
MESS doesn't exist anymore, now it's all MAME. MAME emulates everything, from arcade machines to consoles to obscure computers.

This is what bothered me about Vice, the Commodore Computer Emulator package. Here's a whole bunch of emulators of various Commodore machines totalling around 80Mb (zipped), and I was only interested in the C64, so I had a lot of redundant stuff on my SSD. Luckily, the new version came out with extremely flawed SID emulation (annoying crackling) and so I ditched it as well. I was only interested in demos, and luckily, the YouTube channel "C64 Studio" has all the most popular C64 demos with genuine SID captures, so they sound as they should.