English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 15 September 2006, 01:32   #1
jhaifley

Hydra ZII ethernet card

I am trying to setup this board under OS 3.9. I installed OS 3.9 networking, and copied the hydra.device file into my DEV:Networking folder and ran the network setup and told it to use that driver. It won't pull an IP via DHCP. Is there any other config I need to do? The wizard asks me if the driver needs additional config but I can't find instructions on using the hydra.device to know if additional config if required. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jason

Old 15 September 2006, 01:55   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

worse case scenario you could always manually configure an IP and update you DHCP server/service to allow it... its not an ideal solution but it may help untill you can get the info to get it to accept an IP lease.
Old 15 September 2006, 06:41   #3
Jope
-

Can you query any device info from your tcp/ip stack? Is the Hydra board visible in showconfig / sysinfo / where-ever?
Old 15 September 2006, 14:20   #4
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

Presumably using Genesis...

Check that AMITCP: is assigned to the Genesis directory - I found the installer failed to do this, and had to manually add it to s:user-startup

Ccheck that Genesis is looking for the correct board (ie, in my case x-surf device 0)

The extra config, I believe, is only for setting full duplex, and if you do not have an RJ-45 connector then is is not relevant.

Is the IP config in Genesis correctly configured?

Try manually assigning an IP address, subnet mask, and gateway (for example 192.168.0 5 255.255.255..0 192.168.0.1 respectively, assuming you use 192.168.0.0 as the range, 255.255.255.0 (aka /24) mask, and the gateway/router is set to 192.168.01)

Is there a link light on your switch/hub?

If you have a card that only has 10Base5 or 10Base2 (AUI and BNC, rev 1.0 and 1.1 cards, or a Rev1.2 *without* the RJ-45 10BaeT connector) then check that the DIP switches on the card are correctly configured for the appropriate connector; all down for 10B2 cheapernet, and all up for 10B5AUI (thicknet).

If still no link light on hub/switch
For RJ45 ensure that the cable is a patch lead. Try changing port (try plugging into an uplink port, if fitted), then cable.
For 10B2, ensure that the cable run is correctly terminated at both ends of the network (heck, is it 50OHm or 75Ohm!!?), and any/all other conections are tight, there is no break in the cabling. This is the single most common problem with cheapernet.

Does your DHCP server support BOOTP requests; BOOTP is archaic, and some of the newer router/switches seem to ignore BOOTP... Certainly this is the case with the Netgear DG834GT.... I'll be able to test with a Vigor Draytek 2600 in a couple of weeks.

You may need to use a static configuration if the above is true; this what I resorted to at home, as BOOTP was being ignored
Old 15 September 2006, 21:44   #5
Flashlab

Genesis from OS3.9 doesn't do DHCP. So the problem probably doesn't lie with your Hydra.

AFAIK only Miami does DHCP on Classic Amiga.
Old 15 September 2006, 22:38   #6
jhaifley

Thanks for all the quick suggestions. I went ahead and assigned the IP manually. Also, I am using the AUI with an rj45 converter and the jumpers are in the correct spot.

I do get a link-light on the converter and the switch.

When I tell Genesis to connect, it seems to initialize correctly, doesen't error and claims that I am connected but it won't ping or answer pings and gives an error about the selected resource being unavailable.

A quick look through the AmiTCP FAQ says something about that error alluding to the fact that it can't talk to the board. I know the cabling, ip addressing, etc is correct. I still think I have something messed up with the configuration. The Hydra driver disk didn't really have an install script, except for some program called Hydranexus, so I had to manually copy the driver over. That is why I think I missed a step or something.

Again, thanks for the help and quick responses. Being able to network the Amiga will be a huge step over running around with floppies.

Thanks!

Old 15 September 2006, 23:08   #7
patrik

There is no installation script for the Sana2-driver as the installation just consists of copying the driver (hydra.device) to the directory DEVS:Networks/

The rest of the configuration is done with the TCP/IP stack (Genesis in your case).

What ip-adress etc have you set in Genesis? If you have a router, you will have to pick a static address from a range which the router does not use for address assignments via DHCP, check the router manual for such details.
Old 16 September 2006, 00:12   #8
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashlab
Genesis from OS3.9 doesn't do DHCP. So the problem probably doesn't lie with your Hydra.

AFAIK only Miami does DHCP on Classic Amiga.
Correct, it uses BOOTP. But a DHCP server should [note should!] respond to a BOOTP request; uses same UDP ports (67, 68), the fields are the same, etc etc. Interested to know why it doesn't. Will be mildly interesting to watch the traffic through a sniffer.

@jhaifley - check the env: and envarc: directories for a sana2 config file. Also, could you post the genesis.conf file (found in genesis/db). IIRC there is a driver disk on the amiga hardware database site. I'm thinking this is probably a very simple problem with a very simple fix, that is so simple we'll be slapping our heads...
Old 16 September 2006, 03:14   #9
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@alewis
"I'm thinking this is probably a very simple problem with a very simple fix, that is so simple we'll be slapping our heads..."

and such my friend, is the nature of networking
Old 16 September 2006, 17:07   #10
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

Sometimes... sometimes. At other times its a complete frickin bee-atch that ties up entire support teams. Been there, done it, got the overtime.
Old 24 September 2006, 04:40   #11
jhaifley

Genesis info

Ok, thanks for everyone's patience as I was out of town in a training class. I took a look and cannot find a sana2 config file in either the env: or envarc: dir's. I am guessing this is important? Here is the text from the genesis.conf file:

## This file was generated by GENESiSPrefs GenesisPrefsRA 45.6
##

ShowStatusWin yes
ShowSerialInput yes
ConfirmOffline no
Debug no
FlushUserOnExit no
NoAutoTraffic no
StartupInetd yes
StartupLoopback yes
StartupTCP yes

INTERFACE
IfName hydra0
IfComment "GENESiS Wizard"
Sana2Device DEVS:Networks/hydra.device
Sana2Unit 0
IPAddr 192.168.1.56
Gateway 192.168.1.1
Netmask 255.255.255.0
MTU 1500
KeepAlive 4
NameServer 192.168.1.1
DomainName sbcglobal.net

The IP info is correct. I am a network engineer so I know that part is good. Once I get it talking with a static IP, I can take a look and see about DHCP/BOOTP. Thanks again for all the help!

Thanks,
Jason

Old 06 October 2006, 09:52   #12
patrik

@jhaifley:
Most Sana2 drivers for ethernet-cards doesn't have/use config-files. The Hydra does not and the only card I know of which does is the X-Surf*.