English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 20 February 2013, 00:08   #701
demolition
Unregistered User

AFAIK there is no relevant size limit on the IDE port - the problem is in the standard scsi.device which needs to be updated if you wish to use more than 8GB.
Old 30 July 2014, 23:48   #702
wiggydiggypoo

Need a little help please..... A1200 with 4mb fastram.

I've got one of these from AmigaKit http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=883 to replace the existing 2.5inch HDD I have in it. Amiga is working fine pre-install in that the existing HDD performs as it should.

Ive followed the instructions as directed but the drive won't boot into the install procedure as they say it will. I cant get into the Boot menu at all when it is turned on to try and use their backup floppy to do the same job.

All that happens when it is turned on is the HDD light will flash indicating access, but nothing will load on screen. Indeed it appears the miggy gets stuck in a mode where no video is being outputted either has the on screen display appears again on my TV.

I've tried to examine the card using a PCMCIA reader I bought at the same time but it is
simply labelled CF0:NDOS and I cannot access it.

The Amiga is fine as Ive put my old HDD back in and it booted as normal, I also tried removing the 4mb FASTRAM expansion to see if it was a compatibility issue but no joy.

AmigaKit is closed until the 4/8 so although I can raise a ticket with them, not sure if I will get a response till the 5/8.

Anyone got any ideas please?
Old 31 July 2014, 00:03   #703
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Can you boot using a WB disk if the CF Harddrive is connected but no card is inserted in the CF slot?
Old 31 July 2014, 00:09   #704
wiggydiggypoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
Can you boot using a WB disk if the CF Harddrive is connected but no card is inserted in the CF slot?
I'll have to try that tomorrow, but (excuse my ignorance) what will this prove please?
Old 31 July 2014, 00:18   #705
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I was just thinking along the lines that the CF adapter may be faulty and so stopping your Amiga from booting.
Old 31 July 2014, 00:50   #706
wiggydiggypoo

Quote:
I was just thinking along the lines that the CF adapter may be faulty and so stopping your Amiga from booting.
K cheers, I would hope not but you never know....
Old 31 July 2014, 00:54   #707
fgh

Try to enter early boot menu by holding both mouse buttons pressed when booting to see if the drive shows up there. If it does, it could be a problem with the software on the card, and you should be able to boot without startup-sequence and see if you can access the card properly.
If you cannot even enter the early startup menu I suspect a faulty adapter as well.

CF0 is set up for PC format (FAT), so it's normal that it reports NDOS for amiga formats.

Another option is to connect your drives to a Windows PC, then you could make an image of the old HDD, and copy everything to the new CF card with WinUAE.
Old 31 July 2014, 01:28   #708
wiggydiggypoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgh View Post
Try to enter early boot menu by holding both mouse buttons pressed when booting to see if the drive shows up there. If it does, it could be a problem with the software on the card, and you should be able to boot without startup-sequence and see if you can access the card properly.
If you cannot even enter the early startup menu I suspect a faulty adapter as well.

CF0 is set up for PC format (FAT), so it's normal that it reports NDOS for amiga formats.

Another option is to connect your drives to a Windows PC, then you could make an image of the old HDD, and copy everything to the new CF card with WinUAE.
I cant get into the Boot menu at all no, I'll try it without a card in the adapter and see where it takes me.

I do have my files backed up already on the other CF card via the PCMCIA adapter and that process worked fine. Need to get WB WB3.0 onto this 2nd CF HDD though for that as the PCMCIA CF adapter wont work properly with my existing WB2.05.

PC options are a bit limited as I have a laptop only for now.
Old 31 July 2014, 20:55   #709
wiggydiggypoo

SUCCESS! (kind of lol)

Did a clean install of the CF HDD and it booted into the Amigakit install ok, however the WB 3.0 install wasnt entirely succesfully as I think my original 3.0 discs have degraded over time. It failed mid install of WB3.0 and dropped into a CLI.

(For now I have no way of getting replacements from the net onto the miggy as (laptop only) is lacking a PCMCIA slot and a serial port.)

I have all original WB3.0 discs (WB, Fonts, Locale, Storage) with the exception of Extras which I have a copy of strangely.

So, is there a way I can manually complete the installation?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	discs.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	40749   Click image for larger version

Name:	wb install.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	40750  
Old 31 July 2014, 23:59   #710
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I use a laptop myself and I use a usb multicard reader that supports CF cards.
I got mine from Tescos, top of the range Technik, cost about £3.
I know it's a little extravagant but, it does the job.
Old 02 August 2014, 14:41   #711
wiggydiggypoo

Quote:
I use a laptop myself and I use a usb multicard reader that supports CF cards.
I got mine from Tescos, top of the range Technik, cost about £3.
I know it's a little extravagant but, it does the job.
Never even thought of that cheers, miles easier than a new pC and serial lol

Will get one ordered

Thanks all, will report back on success (hopefully!) later.....
Old 29 September 2014, 19:22   #712
pedrorq

Hi,

Sorry if I'm repeating a question, but I went through this thread and couldn't find the following information:

For a CF card used internally (through IDE), is there a limit of card size? Partition size? If so, is there any recommended card or partition size?

Same thing about speed, I've read on a previous page that CF cards under 40x were recommended but the explanation wasn't conclusive. Is sub-40x really a must?

Thanks in advance!
Old 29 September 2014, 22:08   #713
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrorq View Post
Hi,

Sorry if I'm repeating a question, but I went through this thread and couldn't find the following information:
The correct thread for that is right below this one on the support.Hardware main page.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=61666
Old 03 October 2014, 13:59   #714
pedrorq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
The correct thread for that is right below this one on the support.Hardware main page.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=61666
Thank you!
Old 21 October 2015, 15:32   #715
Sturmwind

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=883

Any opinions on this kit? Any experiences or problems when using this kit with a stock A1200, Workbench 3.0?

Basically do you guys recommend this kit? Or another?

Many thanks for your time and advice.

Old 22 October 2015, 10:13   #716
Jope
-

It all depends on what your skill level is, how much time you have to spend on this project, what workbench disks / card readers / whatever you already have.

That's a turnkey solution with someone providing you with the adapter, the card, the OS preinstalled etc.. If you have some of the needed ingredients already in your cupboard/harddisk, you can get it done for less. All the information you need is on this forum, some of it is in this very thread.

As always, I recommend doing it yourself and learning something along the way, but I realise that not everyone is interested in tinkering with the computer itself, but more about the games/software it runs.
Old 23 October 2015, 01:35   #717
Smakar
Amiga Fan in Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmwind View Post
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=883

Any opinions on this kit? Any experiences or problems when using this kit with a stock A1200, Workbench 3.0?

Basically do you guys recommend this kit? Or another?

Many thanks for your time and advice.
This kit came with the A1200 I purchased a couple of months ago - works like a champ. I did, however, replace the 4gb CF card with an 8gb (amazing how many games there are out there )
Old 23 October 2015, 15:09   #718
Sturmwind

That's great to hear. Many thanks to you both, Jope and Smakar. I am just now starting to get itchy feet regarding the reliability of my floppy collection you see.

Old 03 February 2019, 00:26   #719
solarmon

Hi,

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I thought this might help somebody else.

I used a CF to IDE adapter from PC Engines:

https://www.pcengines.ch/pdf/cfdisk.pdf

The CFDISK.2G to be precise.

And a Crucial 256MB CF:

http://dpnow.com/vintage/Features/Pe...f7/perif7.html

I had followed the instructions to set for the CF card up in WinUAE:

https://nowandthentech.wordpress.com...ct-flash-card/

and copied over a ClassicWB LITE setup over to it to test.

However, it failed to boot up when I put it in an Amiga 1200.

I tried the adapter in a USB IDE enclosure and it booted up OK in WinUAE - so I thought both the card and adapter MUST be OK.

After several more attempts, eventually, after I had RTFM'd, I realised that there was a master/slave setting on the adapter - and by default (with J2 not shorted) it was a slave device. So I shorted J2 on the adapter so that it was a master device.

When I put it back in the Amiga 1200, it booted up straight away!

I hope this might help somebody else and for them to not waste a lot of time, like I did.

Cheers!

Last edited by solarmon; 03 February 2019 at 00:32.
Old 16 August 2019, 03:31   #720
ItsTheSmell

HDD/CF Master/slave placement

Ive got a rear backplate cf-ide reader. I want to use it as a slave device, where on the cable do i install the hdd (master), in the middle or at the end? It doesnt say.