English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 May 2018, 17:23   #1
Valken

List of "BEST" or enhanced versions of games?

So I was reading Hardcore Gaming 101 article about Alien 3 on various platforms and when I got to the SNES version, they mentioned that it was probably the best due to:
  1. Removal of Timer
  2. Darker Atmosphere
  3. Revised soundtrack
  4. Multiple buttons for each weapons on SFC/SNES 6 button controller
  5. Free roam type mode

versus other platforms including Amiga!

Then I read the Amiga CD32 Enhanced controller mods for WHDLoad games thread and I started thinking (searching actually) if there was a list that compared almost all older games on all available platforms and listed the best ports or originals?

I know, open can of worms of an X vs Y vs Z vs etc... platform thread but I just wanted to know which "versions" were the best of the best with as neutral as possible answer, similar to the HC101 thread above.

I believe regarding ARCADE PORTS (CPS1/2,NEOGEO, ARCADE) MAME would probably win hands down since those are the originals but there are many original console / computer games that are mostly amazing and never in the arcades like the Ultima Series for example.

Or even remakes on newer or even older HW like Rick Dangerous+ for Amstrad CPC 128!

Actually, I started checking this out with one of my favorite 2 player games - Alien Syndrome by Sega and comparing every version I can find, it appears the Sharp X68000 trails the ARCADE, followed by the Amiga, then ST. The 8-bitters were "nice", NES version was kind of cool, but really do not compare to the 68K CPU versions.

I know I can search mobygames and compare screenshots but if someone can point me to a list that said X game sorted by top platform and down, and by year, that would be great.

Main reason - trying to introduce our love of retro games to a new generation.

MP - 2 or more players would be great. Totally helps to keep small mini humans in check and bearable!

Last edited by Valken; 23 May 2018 at 17:30.