English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 29 January 2003, 16:43   #21
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

I glanced at the Retro Edge magazine in the newsagent. Apart from the comments already made here, I was dissapointed that the interview with Archer Maclean was only about his restoration of old arcade cabinets. I would've been more interested in his C64/Amiga programming days.

And I did enjoy the retro look at Zzap 64! I thoroughly agree that it did pioneer a lot things & how essential read it was. After originally seeing it in its early days,when I eventually obtained a C64 by 1989 for myself, it was my obvious choice to return to for games reviews,previews etc. It was a shame that when I acquired an Amiga they'd gone back to the C64 only.

I noticed that a ex-zzap writer from the Zzap! C64/Amiga dual coverage era,(Robin Hogg) has made an appearance at Lemon's forum, any chance someone introduce him here to a real commodore forum?!

In a lot of ways when The One switched to Amiga only & relaunced with David Upchurch Garry Whitta etc., I always thought the zzap-style editorial influence was the reason for its success.
Old 31 January 2003, 18:50   #22
cv643d

Quote:
Originally posted by Djay
Edge are "doing" a mag called Retro... about erm...
I bought it today, thought it was great. But then I have a strong interest in booth old consoles and 8/16 bit computers, and arcade games.
Old 31 January 2003, 20:00   #23
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I got the second Edge Retro issue today too.

It's got 30 'Making Of' articles about games, including Speedball 2, Carrier Command and Sensible Soccer. The only problem is these are reprints of articles that have appeared in Edge before, one at a time.
Old 31 January 2003, 21:39   #24
cv643d

I thought Retro was a one time special, but if it comes out monthly I would buy it for shure. Though its a bit pricey
Old 31 January 2003, 22:06   #25
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I don't think that it's monthly.
Old 05 February 2003, 01:21   #26
Zeewolf

I bought the second edition of the Edge Retro magazine today, I actually thought it was quite good!!! The only reason why I bought it though was due to it having an article on Sensi Soccer!!
Theres quite a few interesting articles in it actually!! Theres a nice piece on Manic Miner which I thought was quite a good read!

I must admit though that the Normal Edge magazine is a big steaming pile of poo!!!

Old 05 February 2003, 15:37   #27
cv643d

Im finally finished reading the first Edge retro issue, bought it Friday, finished next week wednesday

I really liked allmost all articles. The one about Archers Arcade collection was very interesting, I wonder how rich he is. Though he seems to be a smart guy so maybe he invested the money he earned on IK right.

I didnt like the Zzzap64 interview - too much hype of the past in that.
Old 05 February 2003, 17:29   #28
Big-Byte
Long time member

Quote:
I noticed that a ex-zzap writer from the Zzap! C64/Amiga dual coverage era,(Robin Hogg) has made an appearance at Lemon's forum, any chance someone introduce him here to a real commodore forum?!
I hope the ppl at the Lemon forum dont find out about your comments. :hoo In my experience, c64 owners are far more fanatical about their machines than Amiga owners.

Old 06 February 2003, 15:36   #29
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Big grin

@Big-byte. I'm a C64 fan/owner myself, you don't need to tell me about brand loyalty! But their (Lemon's),forum quality seems to have suffered in more recent times, & very samey,(eg: top 5 fave games, top 10 games, worst games, etc.). Indeed, it seemed like most of his postings dealt with defending his old reviews. I would hope forums like here would encourage someone like him to return more than a couple of times, besides his knowledge of the games publishing world as it existed then would be interesting!
Old 11 October 2003, 02:28   #30
turk182

For peoples information , This months Games TM has a large section devoted to the Amiga 500 and loads of screenshots etc..Although shock horror they take the piss out of robocod 2 , saying how bad it actually was!.
check it out
Old 11 October 2003, 14:50   #31
tin

Quote:
Originally posted by turk182
For peoples information , This months Games TM has a large section devoted to the Amiga 500 and loads of screenshots etc..Although shock horror they take the piss out of robocod 2 , saying how bad it actually was!.
check it out
..and (rant mode)

they couldn't even be arsed to CLEAN the scumm of the 500 pictured,

they say the 500 was commodores "last roll of the dice" on the cover - no way was it the last roll of the dice and they seem to admit that by...

saying that the CD32 was crap! No way again - I thought it was bordering on pulling commodore back from the brink when the banks forclosed? And I've just bought one, think it's feckin amazin and wish I could afford one back then.

grrr. bastards. The atari 2600 in the edition a couple of months ago was the wrong one (should be the classic woodgrain, come on!) and had a pile of skanky minging games with it..... lack of effort

2/10 .... Must try harder

(can feel subscription cancelation coming on)
Old 11 October 2003, 18:08   #32
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Roll eyes (sarcastic)

Haven't seen the relevant issue yet,but wouldn't be the first time that "PC/kiddie console revisionists",denounce the Amiga's place in gaming history. Even certain game publishers/developers appear to be guilty of it.
Old 11 October 2003, 18:10   #33
Peanutuk

Fuck em'....
Old 14 October 2003, 08:39   #34
Tim Janssen

Arrow About time they wrote something about the Miggy...

I checked at my newsagent this morning, but I still can't find the latest issue of Games TM featuring the Amiga as 'classic console'.

Having bought every single issue to date, I don't think Games TM generally isn't too harsh about the Amiga and games released for it. Speedball 2, Stuntcar Racer, Rick Dangerous, Cannon Fodder and Sensible World of Soccer were all featured in the 'classic games' section.

However, the Games TM staff are heavily biased towards Japanese games and slag off any 'western' attempt to create a game which Japanese have proven to do better. That's why Zool got burned twice (in issue 1 and issue 9) and Robocod isn't liked that much.

The 'classic console' articles are always a bit of a sad story. It describes the rise and more extensively the fall of a console and the company behind it. And we all know the story about Commodore and the Amiga...
Old 05 February 2004, 08:05   #35
Tim Janssen

Thumbs down Chuck rocks gets burned down

Hmm, the Amiga-bashing in Games TM keeps going on and on. After slagging off Zool ("Bad western attempt to imitate Japanese gamesdesigners") and James Pond ("Bad character, amateurish drawings"), issue 15 burns down Chuck Rock. Here are some quotes:
"For every decent game character design, there were many duff ones; duffs like Chuck Rock", "Then there was the laughable Chuck Rock band which played the theme tune on the title screen and looked a little like a bunch of rejected character designs for The Flintstones" concluding with "A mediocre, repetitive, unfair and unappealing piece of software with ver few redeeming features" ...

Which Amiga game will be slagged-off next? Stardust - for being a poor Asteroids clone? Super Methane Bros for a Bubble Bobble wannabee? Superfrog for being too green to look like a hedgehog?
Old 06 February 2004, 05:08   #36
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Roll eyes (sarcastic)

It's almost funny if it wasn't laughable if they're saying that. If they were sooooo rubbish, then why did they get conversions onto the Megadrive SNES consoles? As I seem to recall, it certainly didn't do Core or Mellinium any harm in terms of cross-platform sales,did it?

What next, will they bash Lemmings, or will that be "a classic" because it was "PC Game"?
Old 06 February 2004, 09:27   #37
P-J

Quote:
Originally posted by cv643d
Im finally finished reading the first Edge retro issue, bought it Friday, finished next week wednesday
Are you referring to the one with the yellow cover? Edge have released a lot more retro editions than this. I bought one at the start of 2003. All black and shiney.
Old 06 February 2004, 09:38   #38
Peanutuk

None of the things he mentions were in the recent edition "with the yellow cover" P-J.

The first one was Christmas 2002 /03 which had the now famous cover of the man sitting on his couch in a 'retro' front room. The next edition was black [asteroids on the cover I think] which charted the 'making of' several 'classic' titles.
Old 06 February 2004, 10:36   #39
P-J

Quote:
Originally posted by Peanutuk
None of the things he mentions were in the recent edition "with the yellow cover" P-J.

The first one was Christmas 2002 /03 which had the now famous cover of the man sitting on his couch in a 'retro' front room. The next edition was black [asteroids on the cover I think] which charted the 'making of' several 'classic' titles.
I see. He said he bought it 'last week' and I presumed that it was the most recent edition from a newsagents.