English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.Sprites

Old 13 October 2005, 01:03   #1
Gambit37
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Where are all the sprites?

Hi, I'm a noob here, and really interested in sprite ripping. I'd love to see everyone's work, but I can't find the sprites anywhere.

I can see some thumbnails in some recent threads, but older sets are apparently in the Zone. I joined that but could only see a few files, and it seems to work on a "few recent files only" basis; there aren't any sprites there.

Where are they all?
Old 13 October 2005, 01:14   #2
woody57

As you can see by the title of forum you posted in The sprite PROJECT is larger than a single thread.

Check back on the front of the board for more details

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=18050
And welcome to EAB Gambit37
Old 13 October 2005, 01:24   #3
Gambit37

Thanks for the quick reply.

I realise that there are lots of threads, one per game, and that some of them contain thumbnails to download larger sprite sheets.

But a lot of the threads have no attachments, even though the threads say that the game was fully ripped. The posts were edited and the attachments removed. On these threads, where can I find the sprites that were ripped?

Are they all in one place somewhere? I found a link to a sprite database but it's 404....
Old 13 October 2005, 03:04   #4
woody57

If you followed the hi-lighted thread link I gave you above & read it through you would understand that currently the sprites are being collected in order for them to hosted on a site VERY soon.

The threads are being used for the uploading & collection of sprites for specific amiga games to build up the database, once the contents of this database is judged to be sufficient to be of use by its current compiling team then its URL will be made public.

This is NOT a new project and has been in progress since AUGUST 2002, since all the work done so far is volantary effort, I feel you should understand the point that considering the time it takes to gather these images in the same format and produce sharp quality images to be reviewed is a slow process.

As you read through the threads you will notice the various available tools available to rip sprites , so what better way for you to show your REAL interest in the subject than by looking for threads where NONE have been collected so far and trying your hand at being of assitance
Old 13 October 2005, 16:16   #5
gifgit
Retarded and dribbling

@Gambit 37
I`ve put some rips in the zone for you to have a look at.
Old 13 October 2005, 23:51   #6
Gambit37

OK, cool, thanks for the info guys, I thought I was missing something obvious. I did read through a lot of the threads here, and some mentioned the database, but it was a vague thing and not really very clear what was going on with it. Maybe you could add a sticky post to explain that to noobs like me?

OK, so I've got hold of GFXRip1.05 and have absolutely no clue how to get anything useful out of it despite my best efforts to understand what people haveposted in other threads.

Are there comprehensive tutorials for it? I couldn't find anything that don't already assume you know what you're doing!
Old 14 October 2005, 02:10   #7
maVado

first you need to learn the keys and play around a bit with some games, i would recommand alien breed titles since you will find sprites easy, i would not recommend any type of jump an run for a start or beat em up since the sprites are mostly sperated to small pieces.

Some of the threads notice some settings you can use (offset, sprite modes, bitplanes etc) try to reproduce them by yourself

btw i have every sprites from all threads on my harddrive, let me know if you need some of them.

good luck
Old 14 October 2005, 12:25   #8
BippyM
Global Moderator

We are currently working on getting a website up and running, We have the webspace just need to get someone to maintain it and also write the code for the site

Keep yer eyes peeled
Old 14 October 2005, 14:49   #9
blindfold
Zone Friend

Thats the same I was about to ask. I was wondering where the hell are all those sprites, and I was afraid that after some time, attachements are deleted without any backup . I wish I could help you guys with your WebSpace etc, but I think you are a lot better than me as it comes to web design etc.

EDIT:
BTW. Do you remember an old Amiga tool for ripping sprites? That one with a black smiling face to the right and you had to double click (or click both mouse keys) to save your picture. I remember I had managed with my older brother (years ago..) to add a quick reset button to amiga mainboard which prevented clearing memory (some games ereased all mem during soft reset).

Last edited by blindfold; 14 October 2005 at 14:55.