English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 19 July 2015, 02:32   #1
guybrush

Old computer case that would fit a 1200?

Hi all;

I would like to transplant my A1200 board from the generic tower case that I have, into something smaller and sleeker, to keep on the desk.

I thought that I could fit the board in a A1000 case, but sadly it is too small (crying). Same goes for the CDTV, and a 4000 case is too tall.

Do you know if there is any case that fits comfortably the 1200 board, and that does not require a big deal of modding? I would love something thin and small that fits under the monitor. I can have external brick for power; that is not a problem since the desk face the wall, so the brick goes on the floor under the desk.

I was looking at Sparc20, Macintosh LC, Next Nextstation turbo color and similar form factor.

Any idea? I saw a post from a user that did a conversion of a Sparc20 case; but beside that, I am not sure what else would work....I have the measurements of the 1200 board; but the issue is not to find a case bigger than that, which will fit the board, but a case that has the internal space to accomodate the board....since it is longer than any AT standard format.

Thanks!
Old 19 July 2015, 12:54   #2
voyager_1701e

Guybush, the Macintosh LC is an attractive case to me, and I bought one for the 1200....regretfully it doesn't fit, its just not big enough

I cant help you with another solution, sorry
Old 20 July 2015, 01:28   #3
guybrush

Thanks Voyager for sharing your experience!

Now I can exclude the LC from the list; too bad because it is a slick case
Old 20 July 2015, 10:40   #4
Jope
-

The A1200 (and also A500) is very wide, you will be hard pressed to find an existing desktop case that it would fit in.

Time to break out the metal working tools? :-)
Old 20 July 2015, 17:26   #5
Daedalus

And if you fit an accelerator to an A1200 it becomes even wider since most accelerators extend beyond the end of the motherboard. I had this problem fitting my A1200 into a Hi-Fi separates case. Ended up having to build an accelerator slot extension to fit a CPU card into the case.
Old 23 July 2015, 07:03   #6
guybrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
The A1200 (and also A500) is very wide, you will be hard pressed to find an existing desktop case that it would fit in.

Time to break out the metal working tools? :-)
Indeed I was looking at HTPC case, the ones used for multimedia living room pc, but they are usually too small, although some would fit with some love (read hacksaw).

The biggest issue thou is the placement of the floppy and CD drive; since most of the case that I was looking at, has space for both, and pre-cut on the case. I did an attempt at cutting a door for a floppy on my tower, and I can tell you for sure that I won't win any award for my manual skills/modding capabilities So I am aiming at something that needs the lesser work possible. I want something similar to an A1000 case; but it seems that the form factor just disappeared from this planet....you see a lot of cubes and mini pc; which sadly won't fit the bill.

I am surprised that none of the skilled member of the community, planned to make a case for the Amiga I saw so many talented people in the various forums, that I believe that with combined efforts, a bit of CAD and a 3d printer; it would be possible to make a decent case for the beloved Amiga
Old 23 July 2015, 07:04   #7
guybrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
And if you fit an accelerator to an A1200 it becomes even wider since most accelerators extend beyond the end of the motherboard. I had this problem fitting my A1200 into a Hi-Fi separates case. Ended up having to build an accelerator slot extension to fit a CPU card into the case.
Depends; my Blizzard does not extend much; I am mostly worried about the fact that it hang, and any vibration goes to transmit on the contacts....that motherboard was designed to be laid flat horizontally, not vertically after all
Old 23 July 2015, 09:50   #8
Daedalus

Hmmm, both my Blizzards (a 1230 IV and a 1260) extend quite a bit past the end of the motherboard, but now that I think about it, I have the slightly shorter A1200 motherboards that came later on, with the mouse socket on a ribbon cable instead of the motherboard itself. If you have the longer type then the accelerator will only be an inch or two longer... That's still very wide for a case though - wider than any Hi-Fi separates case and so probably wider than any HTPC case as well.

Support can be worked out if needs be. I have a block of wood and a cable tie holding my 1260 in place in my (very large) tower, and I have a piece of plastic and a strategically placed groove holding my 1230 in place in my old CD deck case. Both aren't exactly ideal but have worked perfectly for many years.
Old 23 July 2015, 11:13   #9
AlfaRomeo
A1200 040 SAM440EP 667

I remember I saw somewhere a mod to "cut" the NumPad part of A1200 motherboard so it could be placed in a A600 case, didn´t know if it could have any accelerator attached.