English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 25 February 2024, 02:19   #1
Amiga1992

Just got a Fúria and have a few questions

I read all about the Fúria for years and now that I finally have one I am a bit confused about the fact that my PCMCIA multicard adapter works just fine as default without having to disable the extra RAM. I thought I had to halve the RAM for this to work? Am I to expect problems if I don't boot the machine holding the reset combo for 4 seconds?
I did notice that one of the PCMCIA adapters was being a LOT more picky about running than another, which I haven't read anything about anywhere.

Also sometimes I get red screens on boot and I don't know why but I suspect a grounding or connection issue, since I need this to be pretty solid, has anyone landed on this issue? I have not added any grounding to it like my ACA620 has, which is a particular screw driven into one of the the HD caddy holes.

Maybe it is related to some shadowrom nonsense? Because red screen is a ROM issue. I do have a 2.05 in there and not a 3.1 not sure if that's a problem but it ends up working after a few tries.

Besides these little things I think this is a great accelerator although I do have to say I still prefer the ACA620 and wish I had bought more than one back then when I got mine. The Fúria is a bit large and especially the air cooled version, just takes too much space and I had to shuffle around other things I had inside already.
Old 25 February 2024, 17:53   #2
Amiga1992

Tried some more testes yesterday, I'm really dumbfounded as to why this thing will red screen on boot many times and then be fine after a while.

I sure hope my unit isn't faulty, can anyone comment on such issues?

I'm going to try and find some suitable cable today to try and ground it properly but I might not have one around and would need to order it.
Old 25 February 2024, 18:23   #3
derSammler

Did you clean the pins of the CPU before installing the Furia? They may not make good contact due to oxidation otherwise.

The Furia I got long ago came with spacers and screws that would ground the card on all four corners. However, that is not related to your red-screen issue.

What can cause that, believe it or not, is the CF card. If you have spares ones, try a different CF card. The Furia is and always was very picky about the CF card.
Old 25 February 2024, 19:00   #4
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by derSammler View Post
Did you clean the pins of the CPU before installing the Furia?
Just to be sure I just went and took the Fúria out and cleaned them.

Quote:
The Furia I got long ago came with spacers and screws that would ground the card on all four corners. However, that is not related to your red-screen issue.
I got some spacers but they do not lock into the holes of the caddy. They're not screws like I have on the ACA620. Lotharek said they don't provide those and never responded to my message asking "ok but what should I get then?"

Quote:
What can cause that, believe it or not, is the CF card. If you have spares ones, try a different CF card. The Furia is and always was very picky about the CF card.
I do believe that BUT I have an SD2IDE adapter with AMSIDER in there so it's not a CF. Still, I could try another card, but I don't have any 4GB around so I need to go and buy one, which I will do.

I just noticed more things:
- I removed all my furiatune commands from startup sequence and the card seems to be recognized still and work. I don't get a red screen, so maybe this is related to shadowrom?
- However, on cold boot, the machine always locks up once at least and gives a 8000 000B guru.

So far it seems more stable if I boot the system without Furiatune, and this is confusing.

Thanks for your answers so far! Looking forward to hear more.
Old 26 February 2024, 07:36   #5
supaduper

Just to add your furia has the latest firmware on it ?
Old 26 February 2024, 09:05   #6
derSammler

HTML Code:
I do believe that BUT I have an SD2IDE adapter with AMSIDER in there so it's not a CF.
Given that the IDE port is not buffered, I personally do not like the idea of having three connection points between the port and the actual media for storage in such a wobbly construction. Before you buy a new card, can you try without the AmSider?

Also, what mainboard revision is your A600?
Old 26 February 2024, 14:56   #7
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaduper View Post
Just to add your furia has the latest firmware on it ?
The board says that it has Firmware 14.1

Quote:
Before you buy a new card, can you try without the AmSider?
I was using it without the AmSider before to the same effect.

Quote:
Also, what mainboard revision is your A600?
The mainboard is your typical 1.3

So yesterday I tried to "stress" test this as much as I can, leaving it on for long periods, basically most of the day. This is what the situation is like now:

- I do not have furiatune on my startup at all. The card configures itself and seems to work fine without it, with FPU on, 8MB of RAM and no shadowrom (little bit slower but I rather take the stability if it's going to be a problem)
- Every time I cold boot it, it locks up the system the first minute or two. Either it gives me a guru, or it just freezes everything
- After a couple of minutes and a few reboots, the card appears to operate just normally. I've had it on for hours, playing WHDLoad games, music, whatever. No crash at all.

I'm pretty confused about what could be going on. The power supply is spitting out decent values (~4.9V on the 5V line measured at the floppy power header)
I also have no idea why it has become so complicated about which adaptrer and SD card I put in my PCMCIA Multicard reader.
Old 26 February 2024, 16:08   #8
derSammler

Sounds like a connection issue to me. Once everything has heated up (metal expands with heat), connections become stable and the card works.

You could try using a fiberglas pen on the CPU legs and also try to slightly bend the pins on the Furia's PLCC socket to give them more tension. The latter must be done carefully, however, as you can easily damage the socket.

Does the Amiga crash when you bump it?
Old 26 February 2024, 17:15   #9
Amiga1992

Quote:
Does the Amiga crash when you bump it?
No, I just gave it a crazy shake while on after it worked, and the damn thing won't crash. I literally banged it around a bit

But when I cold booted it, it went straight to a guru. 8000 000B 00206762. It did this several times.

And now it did it again from Workbench. God damnit. I can't have this instability.

And now it's back and not crashing. it's been like 4 or 5 minutes on.

The PLCC pins did look a bit scraggly I have to say. Like, not in a straight line. Some were more depressed than others, is the best way I can describe it.
Old 27 February 2024, 19:29   #10
xc8
no c= no fun

from what I ve read somewhere: you need a really fast SD for the furia, I m using mine with a Samsung EVO U1 (UHS speed class 1) , I ve used it before (ie. the day of 1st install) with an SDHC class 4 (it's a mark of '4' into a 'C' shape, not UHS, way slower) and the darn thing froze all of the time.
Old 27 February 2024, 19:56   #11
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc8 View Post
from what I ve read somewhere: you need a really fast SD for the furia, I m using mine with a Samsung EVO U1 (UHS speed class 1) , I ve used it before (ie. the day of 1st install) with an SDHC class 4 (it's a mark of '4' into a 'C' shape, not UHS, way slower) and the darn thing froze all of the time.
But that's not it at all, as this happens even without anything there or different cards, and also as I explained several times, the machine never locks up again after that cold boot and a few minutes have passed, I've had it running for hours, absolutely flawless operation save for that nasty cold boot.

It's not the SD card, derSammler's explanation so far is the only one that makes sense but I don't know how to solve it or if I should send this back for a replacement if it is the socket that is faulty.
Old 27 February 2024, 21:16   #12
derSammler

If you can rule out that the issue is with your A600, I would certainly send the card back for checking or replacement.

Having said that, I had to get a second Furia as well. The first one I got was also completely unstable. But that was very long ago when the Furia was still new. Got a white one with different DRAM chips then and that one is rock solid to this day.
Old 28 February 2024, 01:00   #13
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga1992 View Post
I am a bit confused about the fact that my PCMCIA multicard adapter works just fine as default without having to disable the extra RAM. I thought I had to halve the RAM for this to work? Am I to expect problems if I don't boot the machine holding the reset combo for 4 seconds?.
That is because you are running 2.05. Versions prior to 3.1 didn’t check if the PCMCIA address space was already occupied, so you can still access non-memory PCMCIA cards even if the Furia maps its memory in the same space.
Old 28 February 2024, 15:04   #14
Amiga1992

Quote:
If you can rule out that the issue is with your A600, I would certainly send the card back for checking or replacement.
Well can you eve rule out the Amiga without a technician look-over? I mean the machine has been recapped and was working fine prior. Voltages are fine. Things seem to be OK on that side but you never know.

Sadly I cannot return it right away, I will contact the shop to see if I can do this in a little while. not sure how long the warranty is good for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
That is because you are running 2.05. Versions prior to 3.1 didn’t check if the PCMCIA address space was already occupied, so you can still access non-memory PCMCIA cards even if the Furia maps its memory in the same space.
Oooh I had no idea, very interesting. But will this create issues?
Old 28 February 2024, 16:56   #15
supaduper

As idrougge says if you are running an early rom then update to 3.1 this should solve most of your problems
Old 28 February 2024, 17:11   #16
derSammler

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaduper View Post
As idrougge says if you are running an early rom then update to 3.1 this should solve most of your problems
That's not what he said. 3.1 would actually introduce the PCMCIA issue that you don't have with 2.05. And unless you insert an SRAM card for whatever reason when having more than 4 MB of Fast RAM, the behaviour of 3.1 in this regard is just stupid.

The Furia runs perfectly fine with 2.05 - that's what I'm running my Furia with, too.
Old 28 February 2024, 17:13   #17
supaduper

Quote:
That's not what he said. 3.1 would actually introduce the PCMCIA issue that you don't have with 2.05. And unless you insert an SRAM card for whatever reason when having more than 4 MB of Fast RAM, the behaviour of 3.1 in this regard is just stupid.

The Furia runs perfectly fine with 2.05 - that's what I'm running my Furia with, too.
Okey Dokey
Old 28 February 2024, 17:36   #18
Amiga1992

Yeah how is changing the ROM going to fix instability issues on boot? That's just not it.
And if as derSammler says, in 2.05 I don't need to disable the extra RAM, much better. Fucking around with holding Ctrl+A+A on boot is kind of a stupid way to disable memory, would it have been so hard to put a jumper to do this? in any case it just doesn't work for my use case so glad I don't need to do it.

I messaged the shop and wait for an answer at this point but if anyone has any new ideas let me know.
Old 28 February 2024, 19:26   #19
xc8
no c= no fun

Out of curiosity, did you try a different PSU?
Old 28 February 2024, 20:41   #20
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc8 View Post
Out of curiosity, did you try a different PSU?
And why would I do that when I tested the one I have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga1992 View Post
The power supply is spitting out decent values (~4.9V on the 5V line measured at the floppy power header)
And again how would that make it not work only on boot but fine for hours later on?