English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 06 February 2012, 21:55   #1
Anna

Copy protection behaviour

Hi all, I have looked around the Net and couldn't find anything about this. Does anyone have a list of copy protection deliberate bugs/errors in Amiga games? e.g. if the software detected it was a copy, it would hide a platform, or remove an item you needed to complete an adventure. What do you think?

Anna
Old 06 February 2012, 22:13   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Hi all, I have looked around the Net and couldn't find anything about this. Does anyone have a list of copy protection deliberate bugs/errors in Amiga games? e.g. if the software detected it was a copy, it would hide a platform, or remove an item you needed to complete an adventure. What do you think?

Anna
Lots of them did things like that.

Sleepwalker - Would remove a key barrel that means you can't progress
Hook - Remove three items from the game meaning it can't be completed
Gods - Made enemies harder to kill and extra lives couldn't be collected
Battle Command - Allowed you to play one mission and would then lock up game
F-29 Retaliator - Would allow you to play, and then plane would fall from the sky noting you were playing a pirate copy
Mega Lo Mania - Would detect a pirate copy by playing a sample laughing at you and unable to continue playing.
Codemasters TAS system - Would pop up a screen to tell you to ring a premium rate telephone number to get a code to continue playing.
Turrican - Removal of part of one of the earlier levels means you can't progress

Thats just a few, there were many more
Old 06 February 2012, 23:05   #3
Anna

Thanks Galahad, it's cool to hear about the old Amiga games. I had a copy of R-Type 2 that if I moved into a certain position on the bottom left, on the first level, and pressed fire, then the game would crash. Every time. If I avoided that area then the game would continue to play perfectly. Interestingly, when I tried it on an Amiga emulator on the GP2x, years later, exactly the same thing happened! Wonder if it was rubbish coding, or a copy protection bug that the crackers missed? Rubbish coding probably!
Old 06 February 2012, 23:29   #4
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Thanks Galahad, it's cool to hear about the old Amiga games. I had a copy of R-Type 2 that if I moved into a certain position on the bottom left, on the first level, and pressed fire, then the game would crash. Every time. If I avoided that area then the game would continue to play perfectly. Interestingly, when I tried it on an Amiga emulator on the GP2x, years later, exactly the same thing happened! Wonder if it was rubbish coding, or a copy protection bug that the crackers missed? Rubbish coding probably!
Rubbish coding probably, the copy protection was MFM and maybe a copylock, there was no additional ingame protection.

R-Type 2 did need a massive amount of blitter fixes though, wouldn't be surprised if that was the problem.
Old 06 February 2012, 23:30   #5
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Lost Patrol: The team morale drops pretty fast. Very hard to complete it then.
Lords of the Rising Sun: The Ninja attack is always lethal.
The Killing Game Show: The water rises way too fast.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 07 February 2012 at 00:22.
Old 06 February 2012, 23:53   #6
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Leander: Unpassable section if a copy was detected.
Dogs of War: Apparently your player stumbles around like a drunk on badly cracked versions.

Last edited by Codetapper; 07 February 2012 at 00:57. Reason: Added Dogs of War
Old 07 February 2012, 00:19   #7
Abaddon

Tusker - items would disapear from inventory when you get caught by the whirlwind (copylock) and the machete would not appear (checksum).
Old 07 February 2012, 00:21   #8
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Hired Guns - Would overwrite your save file with something along the lines of "PIRATE COPY" after the 5th save.
Old 07 February 2012, 11:43   #9
IFW

Abandoned Places 2: your party gets killed after 13 minutes of playing and fun things like that
Old 07 February 2012, 13:45   #10
cpiac64

I never managed to play "premier" http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=1787 protection or bad gamer
Old 07 February 2012, 16:04   #11
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Hired Guns - Would overwrite your save file with something along the lines of "PIRATE COPY" after the 5th save.
I think there was something wrong with the copy protection on there.

My brother spent hours playing through original disks of HG, and it still came up with that, and corrupted his saves.
Old 07 February 2012, 17:11   #12
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Nice thread!
It would deserve to be sticked, IMO
Old 07 February 2012, 20:58   #13
Leo42

Quote:
Wasn't Hired Guns coming without copy protection ? I remember it could be installed to HD...
Old 07 February 2012, 21:37   #14
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo42 View Post
Wasn't Hired Guns coming without copy protection ? I remember it could be installed to HD...
It had manual protection, and I cannot think of ANY Psygnosis game that didn't have copy protection, they simply protected everything, even their budget re-releases.
Old 07 February 2012, 21:57   #15
dirkies
Zone Friend

I remember having an email conversation with Jonathan Forbes of LZX on "boobytrapping" the code if it detected piracy. He considered it, but finally did not do this as he feared that people would not realize some piracy detection kicked in and would simply judge LZX as "unreliable". (as it would be subtle way to cripple the software, not to give pirates a hint they had to recrack it). He was aware a lot of people were using cracked versions, but that is something you have to accept, esp in the consumer market back in those days.
It is indeed a difficult choice to make as a programmer: protect your software the hard way and risk losing your reputation with the masses? Food for thought...
Old 08 February 2012, 20:13   #16
brett71

Lure of the Temptress (suspected) - if you were following the walkthrough, 3 or 4 steps from the end of the game, there's an object you're supposed to click on, but the "cracked" copy I had back in that day, that particular object was not present, therefore, the game could not be completed.

I always meant to go back at some point and confirm that. I see that in the Zone is an alternate crack. Back in the day, I had bought an original and sent it to Melnok to crack, but he shortly after abandoned the Amiga and he said he sent the originals back to me, but I never got them.
Old 08 February 2012, 20:25   #17
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Premier Manager 3 Deluxe had some stuff. Crashes later on in the game when certain functions were tried, unable to complete a season, money being decreased.
Old 11 February 2012, 03:29   #18
freehand

Falcon flight sim you would stand on the runway and hear a plane and shots then see gun holes on the hud or instruments can not remember which, you could not proceed any further obviously.
Old 15 August 2012, 20:17   #19
MethodGit

Quote:
It had manual protection, and I cannot think of ANY Psygnosis game that didn't have copy protection, they simply protected everything, even their budget re-releases.
You quite sure about that?
Old 16 August 2012, 03:56   #20
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Sleepwalker - Would remove a key barrel that means you can't progress
Does this hold true for all cracks, or was there a version that overcame this copy protection? (Just finding an excuse as to why I couldn't complete the game!) :P