English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 30 January 2011, 04:09   #1
ral-clan

DPAINT 5 weird behaviour

In DPAINT 5 I'm getting wierd behavior when setting up a brush movement for animation.

In DPAINT 5:

1. pick up a brush
2. go into menu ANIM / MOVE
3. Click START or END to manually position start/END location of brush for animation path
4. Click ADJUST, this will take you into the screen where you can place the brush to specify the start/end of the animation path
5. movement of brush along X or Y axes is fine
6. To move along Z axis, you should be able to hold CTRL key while moving mouse. However, when doing this movement along Z axis either does not work or is very jittery and unpredictable. Occasionally after doing this and hitting return very strange values are entered for the Z axis number slot (like -49495) Not usable.

Can anyone replicate this?

My WinUAE config: 68040 JIT, A4000 AGA NTSC, using Picasso 96 RTG, OS3.9.

But I've also set up a "stock" A500 config and Z axis movement is still odd.

Thanks.

Last edited by ral-clan; 01 February 2011 at 05:28.
Old 31 January 2011, 02:00   #2
Maren
Banned

One thing to consider is that Dpaint was not intended for use with Picasso. I owned one for a while and I had to give it up precisely because of this, it would normally guru-meditate just seconds after launching and I think the default screenmodes were missing too, but since you mention it also occurs with with an A500 setup, then that's pretty much discarded.

In any case, I ran a series of tests and I could not reproduce this behavior. Have you tried luck with the "Mouse extra settings" from the "Game Ports" panel? is your screen vsyncing properly? too many variables to consider, too little information.
Old 31 January 2011, 11:31   #3
Amiga1992

You should try running version 4.5 instead, as far as I remember version 5 was a buggy piece o' poop.
Old 31 January 2011, 20:18   #4
ral-clan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
One thing to consider is that Dpaint was not intended for use with Picasso. I owned one for a while and I had to give it up precisely because of this, it would normally guru-meditate just seconds after launching and I think the default screenmodes were missing too, but since you mention it also occurs with with an A500 setup, then that's pretty much discarded.
Yeah I know this. I always specify native screenmodes and it seems to run happily on a native screenmode screen while Workbench is in an RTG mode (this was both when I had a real Amiga with a Picasso II card and in UAE).

But as you said, this doesn't seem to be the problem as even with a stock A500 emulation it doesn't seem to work.

Quote:
In any case, I ran a series of tests and I could not reproduce this behavior.
Fascinating!

Quote:
Have you tried luck with the "Mouse extra settings" from the "Game Ports" panel?
I think I have tried clicking on and off the tablet support...also the Use Windows Mouse Driver. But do I need to restart/reboot the emulation every time I click these? I guess I will have to play with it more.

Quote:
is your screen vsyncing properly? too many variables to consider, too little information.
I don't think so. I never play with this feature. How does it work?
Old 01 February 2011, 05:28   #5
ral-clan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
In any case, I ran a series of tests and I could not reproduce this behavior. Have you tried luck with the "Mouse extra settings" from the "Game Ports" panel?
That fixed it. I had to shut OFF (uncheck) "Install Virtual Mouse Driver".

Then I could use the Control Button and the mouse to move the brush along the Z-axis.

However, once I shut off this feature of WinUAE I can no longer use my graphics tablet with WinUAE. The graphics tablet is obviously something that can be useful in DeluxPaint.

Oh well. At least I found the source of my problem.
Old 01 February 2011, 13:25   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

WinUAE version? (It should be "latest")
Old 01 February 2011, 13:58   #7
ral-clan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
WinUAE version? (It should be "latest")
Sorry....I am using WinUAE 2.2.0. It is the version that comes with Amiga Forever 2011. I am unable to upgrade to 2.3.0 yet as Cloanto is having some sort of compatibility issue with it? Anyway, I think they are in contact with you about that, aren't they?

This is what they told me:

> WinUAE 2.3.0 has an issue with offsets/clipping, as it now
> > defaults to D3D modes. Also, it raises the DirectX
> > requirements in a way that we would like to make a bit more
> > user friendly. A 2.3.1 is expected soon. We are also
> > expecting to release a patch to not use D3D by default. So
> > there will be multiple fronts that need to be updated to
> > keep it as simple and usable as possible, and we are working
> > on it.

Last edited by ral-clan; 01 February 2011 at 14:06.
Old 01 February 2011, 14:06   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It is not my problem if AF is used. I only accept plain WinUAE reports. Too many things can change in AF mode.
Old 01 February 2011, 14:08   #9
ral-clan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
It is not my problem if AF is used. I only accept plain WinUAE reports. Too many things can change in AF mode.
No Problem. I wasn't complaining about using 2.2.0...I realise that the latest version available may always fix bugs (and get the support). I was merely asking if there was a known solution in 2.2.0, as that's the version I am stuck with at moment.

Anyway, I actually do not use the Amiga Forever "player" at all. I bypass that and go straight into the WinUAE 2.2.0 interface (starting the WinUAE component directly). So I suppose it is a bit misleading when I say I use Amiga Forever. I actually *only* use the WinUAE installation that it provides along with the free legal Kickstart images Cloanto provides.