English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 04 April 2007, 14:06   #1
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
The Commodore Time machine Thread.

Can you STOP Commodore going tits up?

You can go back to ONE moment in Amiga history.
You can speak to ONE person.

What would you say and to whom?
Old 04 April 2007, 15:44   #2
BippyM
Global Moderator

release cd32 for £99, licence the games and properly market
Old 04 April 2007, 15:47   #3
Sensi
Unregistered User

Kill Bill KILL BILL KILL BILL KILL BILL KILL BILL KILL BILL !!!

Old 04 April 2007, 15:52   #4
StrategyGamer
Total Chaos AGA is fun!

Commodore Business Machines went out of business due to the intentional sabotage of the company and its products by the islamic terrorist Mehdi Ali who seeks to destroy as many evil infidel western businesses as possible.

So I would go back in time and cast a Vanish spell on him.
Old 04 April 2007, 16:35   #5
lucadip
Where is my mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrategyGamer
Commodore Business Machines went out of business due to the intentional sabotage of the company and its products by the islamic terrorist Mehdi Ali who seeks to destroy as many evil infidel western businesses as possible.

So I would go back in time and cast a Vanish spell on him.
Then do me a favour and let vanish a few american terrorists as well (George Bush and Bill Gates come to my mind...)

OTOH, maybe Commodore wouldn't have gone bankrupt if Bill Gates had been CEO of Commodore back then!
Old 04 April 2007, 16:38   #6
BippyM
Global Moderator

keep politics out of this
Old 04 April 2007, 16:39   #7
Dizzy
Pirate

Team up with sony when they was looking for a partner, before they chose to go solo and make the playstation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleFan
BILL KILL!!!

Who will he kill
Old 04 April 2007, 16:41   #8
spiff
Oh noes!

I'd kill off commodore / Jack Travis when they didn't do anything useful with the C64 success (pissed of a lot of good engineers). They just released the same hardware with minor upgrades. Grabbing amiga with Jay was just dumb luck, and they repeated the same mistake they did with the C64.

As much as I hate to say it Sony and the play station is probably the closest to commodres business model of in house developed hardware combined with of the shelf products.
Old 04 April 2007, 17:39   #9
Graham Humphrey

Don't release the 500+ and 600 within six months of each other! Madness. Should have released only one or the other. Then the 4000 and 1200 followed a few months later, releasing so many machines so quickly was bonkers.
Old 04 April 2007, 20:24   #10
mrbob2

The amiga was the last of the traditional home computers, spectrum, c64s etc. Computers that had all the "guts" inside the keyboard was SO 1980s! When you "upgraded" your amiga for the majority it meant buying a new computer. With the PC it meant buying a new gfx card or ram. Also, microsoft dont own PCs, they just own the operating system. So it was commodore Vs the world and they just didnt have the money or the ability to realise that the future was (at the time) about upgrading every few months as the pc went from 286mhz to 486 then 333 then up and up at the rate of a new spec every month. The amiga just went from an 68000 processor (amiga 500) to the 68020 processor (amiga 1200). The difference in speed and power was minimal so they just were left behind in the electronics revolution.
Old 05 April 2007, 10:16   #11
NOB
Zone Friend

I would sell more C64 in Poland.

(Data Welt 4/86)
Old 05 April 2007, 13:25   #12
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Well not QUITE on topic but I'd go back in time and get Tony Ianiri from Power Computing to have completed those darn A5000 (and other related) machines he was working on...

Or hold a gun to Paul Nolan and Tony-wossisname and get the Siamese PCI card out.
Old 05 April 2007, 13:30   #13
kriz

Not release A500+ and A600. Sell the A1200 with 030 standard.

Dont use all money on PC market (wich doesnt sell much for commodore), and use more money for good games to CD32 (also with 030).
Old 05 April 2007, 21:24   #14
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Following Irving Gould and Jack Tramiel's board room bust up, have the former leave C= rather than the latter.

That way Medhi Ali would never have had a look in!!!

And lucadip your definition of terrorist is HIGHLY dubious
Old 05 April 2007, 22:28   #15
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiriad
I agree. Bill Gates has afaik never directly or indirectly killed anybody or by other means used acts of terror to make people confess. Let's not talk about the other man, now shall we, so leave this discussion until another day and place
Old 06 April 2007, 16:55   #16
lucadip
Where is my mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiriad
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisken uno
I agree. Bill Gates has afaik never directly or indirectly killed anybody or by other means used acts of terror to make people confess. Let's not talk about the other man, now shall we, so leave this discussion until another day and place
I included Bill in the list of terrorists because Microsoft unfairly tried so many times to "kill" its own competitors (eg Linux...). He is definitely not to be considered a terrorist like someone else...
Old 09 April 2007, 14:51   #17
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Hmmm,
If C= couldn't make an on-going success of the C64 line, they were never going to do it with the Amiga! - it's all about building on the user-base you've got. Clever ( headline grabing ) hardware/software only helps a bit.

IBM stumbled on that formula with the PC, so did Apple. The PC then 'took-over' because IBM lost control of their platform - the rise of the clones!

'The Spectacular Rise & Fall of C=' is a very interesting read, but I can't help feeling that for all the management madness detailed in that book it only hasened C='s demise.
You can't get away with selling new computers to your user base for ever - you'll loose too many to competitors...
You have to @ least sell the illusion of endless upgradeabilitiy so the masses aren't tempted to look further than the end of their noses!

This is why all these new Amiga-like products ( with the possible exception of AROS ) are doomed to failure even in 'sub-niche' markets. Not because of on-going stupid decisions & in-fighting, or because of any lack of merrit, but because even the perception of being tied to a static platform will put the punters off.

For the present: If it won't run on an x86 box - don't bother!
Even Apple gets that. ( sort-of )

Time Machine?
I'd go back & have a word with the engineers + marketing people on the subject of selling a box with lots of expansion + upgradeability above all else. C64 or Amiga based, though by the time the Amiga came out they may have already missed the boat. That was pretty much the design philosophy of the PET ( as Chuck Peddle saw it ) which if developed may well have seen C= becoming IBM + everything else rolled together...
( Bill Gates would probably now be hailed by the likes of us as the plucky underdog who could have saved the home computer from C=, if only... )
I'd tell them how sucessful IBM are about to be despite a technically inferior platform. Maybe even suggest licensing to Atari etc! ( gasp )

I do go on a bit, don't I?

Last edited by Charlie; 09 April 2007 at 15:51.
Old 10 April 2007, 11:34   #18
StarEye
Zone Friend

Let's say I succeed in traveling back in time and change the future; then the future wouldn't require me to travel back in time to change it, thus I will never travel back in time, which again leads to me not changing the future and so forth.

Hmmm
Old 05 May 2007, 15:04   #19
mrbob2

id go back in time and tell commodore folk to invest 75% shares in a little company called microsoft.........
Old 05 May 2007, 18:51   #20
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Don't get rid of the original Los Gatos team who were developing more advanded hardware at the time of A2000 release, which was even more advanced than the A3000 (in graphics only) released years later.

Managers seem to just have no idea how you just can't replace original resources and expect things to just work. There is a big period of transition which costs time and money and retraining, etc etc.

Edit: And give the engineers more of a say. After all, it looked like they knew what they were doing with the Lorraine hardware. (usually you would expect the manager to handle things like this receiving advice from the engineers, but when you don't even listen to them seriously)

Last edited by BippyM; 27 May 2007 at 12:44. Reason: use edit to edit original post ;)