English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 27 February 2002, 09:11   #1
jAKe

Angry TransADF & 3.5 problems !!!!

Well this is the thing:

I have conected my pc to an Amiga 500+ with a nullmodem cable.
I am using Amiga Explorer to transfer the files to the amiga.
The file transfer works fine, loading stuff into the ramdrive of the amiga. Then a am using TransADF to write adf:s to disk that i have dowloaded from the internet...

Here are the problems:

I use transADF with the command:

"TransADF DF0: RAM:file.adf write"...it works well it seems...until the ADF has bee written to the disk...then i always get this error message.."disk has a checksum error on disk block blabla.."
I get this all the time. I have tried other disks and adf:s...nothing works.... When i got the amiga i came with loads of disk..but almost everyone is bad...so i dont have any nice games and utils for it...kinda boring.
I have wb 2.0 that is working, and thats about it.
Can someone help me with this problem..? What am i doing wrong? Maybe the command is wrong for TransADF? I have tryed to write adf:s from amiga explorer window on the pc, to the amiga on a blank amiga floppy..but i only get "verify" errors on the pc.. Even when i use verify with TransADF i get errors...
Maybee my amiga 3.5 drive i busted?
I NEEED help!!!
Right now i hate my Amiga very much...help me love it again.

Thanx. J

Old 27 February 2002, 09:33   #2
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Rather use TRACKTOOL by CodeTapper... it is on Action site and I never had any problem with it... it is REALLY fast when writing adf's back to the floppies and I never had an error so far
Old 27 February 2002, 10:51   #3
jAKe

Question Tracktool?

Were can i get it?
Post url please.

Thanx, J.

Old 27 February 2002, 11:02   #4
jAKe

Smile I Found it!

Well iam going to try this tool after work today...
I really hope it works, or else i will dance mambo with spike shoes on my amiga...hehe..

Here is the Link if someone wants it:

http://www.back2roots.org/Tools/Files/0/?find=Tracktool

Hi5, jAKe

Old 27 February 2002, 22:45   #5
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Post Suggestions

OK Jake, a few suggestions/possibilities:

1. The floppies you are using to write the games back to are stuffed.

2. The ADF's are being corrupted while transferred. Try compressing them and sending them across to the Amiga, then decompressing. If they uncompress OK, the transfer process is not the problem.

3. If you write NDOS games back to floppy, after the inhibit() on the drive (to prevent anything else using the disk while it is writing) has finished, AmigaDos will suddenly see the disk. Since it's NDOS it may say something like "disk in drive df0: is bad" or something similar. Purely because the game isn't standard files. Try copying a game across which only consists of files. eg. Interceptor, Joe Blade, Major Motion etc. All those have no special disk protection and you should not get validation/checksum errors.

4. Do the games actually work or you get the error message and then wipe them thinking they don't work?

TomCat666: Thanks for the Tracktool praise! I'm sure TransADF does exactly the same thing, but Tracktool was written when I needed to run it on WB1.3 and nothing seemed compatible with that at the time!

If you type "Tracktool WRITE ram:Interceptor.adf VERIFY" it will write each track back, then re-read it and make sure the disk is OK (sounds the same as TransADF). If it complains, your floppy disk or drive is probably stuffed. Good luck!
Old 27 February 2002, 23:14   #6
jmmijo

@CodeTapper, is the term 'stuffed' the same as FUBAR or HOSED? Please elaberate

Codetapper wrote: stuffed = broken, damaged, wrecked, useless, no good, non working, (substitute any swearword here)

Last edited by Codetapper; 28 February 2002 at 01:43.
Old 28 February 2002, 19:38   #7
jAKe

ADF HELL!

Well...i have tried the track tool, and the amiga just gives me the same errors as before.."checksum error..."
I dont think that the 3.5 drive is the problem... I have tested another drive...and it still gives me the same errors..
The progs like tracktool and transadf i working fine after i transferred them to the amiga...so i think that the connection is fine... I have tried 10-20 different floppys..and they all give me the same errors.. Maybe the adf:s that i have dowloaded from the net is bad...but i have tried a couple off them and still the same errors....
When i reboot the amiga and insert the floppys...still the same error..."..checksum error.." crap !!!!
Maybe my wb disk are bad...I saw somethin like.."saddam virus" on my wb disk yesterday....This could maybe be the thing....
Ok, i will test the zipped file thing and i will try to check the wb disks for virus... Anyone know a good virus scanner and an unpack prog. for the amiga?

"Try copying a game across which only consists of files. eg. Interceptor, Joe Blade, Major Motion etc"

This i dont quite understand...can you extract the files fron and adf? On amiga or pc?..

...I really hope that I can get i to work soon or else I am going to turn my amiga into a hat...or maybe an ashtray...

Thanx J.

Old 01 March 2002, 02:24   #8
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Re: ADF HELL!

Quote:
Originally posted by jAKe
Maybe my wb disk are bad...I saw somethin like.."saddam virus" on my wb disk yesterday....This could maybe be the thing....
Ok, i will test the zipped file thing and i will try to check the wb disks for virus... Anyone know a good virus scanner and an unpack prog. for the amiga?

"Try copying a game across which only consists of files. eg. Interceptor, Joe Blade, Major Motion etc"

This i dont quite understand...can you extract the files fron and adf? On amiga or pc?..
DiskWiz (like Tracktool but supports WB2+ only) automatically checks for bootblock viruses when it unpacks disks using xvs.library and the older BBBF.library. If you have WB2, try it! It's on Back to the Roots

Those games I mentioned like Interceptor are standard AmigaDos format disks with files - no special tricks to stuff up your disks or copy protection. You can extract files off the disks but that's not what I meant - although you could format a blank disk then just copy the files over onto the disk, it's easier just to unpack the ADF of interceptor onto the disk and play it. You can then boot up workbench and insert the interceptor disk and hopefully see all the files visible... (just to prove that the disk is partially OK).
Old 02 March 2002, 03:17   #9
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

The Saddam virus is a link virus, not a bootblock virus, so that may not be any help. The Saddam virus attacks the disk-validator, so it makes sense that with this active on your WB disk(s), none of your disks are any good. I don't have any virus protection links handy, but if I did, it would be from either going to Aminet and searching on the word virus or going to Google and searching on the words Amiga virus saddam...
Old 02 March 2002, 10:32   #10
Paul
RIP Friends

Found this link in my bookmarks/favorites
http://home4.inet.tele.dk/vht-dk/amiga/download.htm
Old 02 March 2002, 18:54   #11
jmmijo

Thanks for the link Paul
Old 05 March 2002, 23:24   #12
jAKe

Thumbs up Amiga Up To Speed!!!!

Ok, thanx guys..its working!!!
I had like bootblock viruses on all my disks...
Even on a old virus cleaner disk that i used to get rid of the evil things... The amiga explorer is now working fine with the adf writing utility...adfs->To amiga floppy...straight from the pc...very nice I wish that i had some more speed in the conection thoug... but you cant get everything at once hu..!?!
I found a computer shop in sweden that sells amiga parts and amigas...Very nice! I am thinking of buying an 1200 with hd... Someone knows stuff to look out for...?! Hardware buggs etc..?
Also one of my friend told me that he had an amiga 3000 at home somewere.... If he finds all the part of it... Maybe he would sell it to me.....Very nice! Soon i can throw the pc out....

Thanx again... J.