English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 June 2017, 20:45   #1
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Start off small: Releasing a commercial Amiga title under Psytronik

Right before anyone gets ahead of themselves, no, I haven't secured a deal to release an Amiga game under the Psytronik label.

However, they are happy to publish Amiga titles, but currently don't have any.

They offer digital download, physical release, and a super deluxe type of physical release for the purists.

Now I understand that trying to get something off the ground is tricky, but i'm of the mind that if we were to start off small, the want to do something bigger and better would surely follow.

I had a great response to calls for music and graphics when I did Where Time Stood Still and Starquake (still happening folks).

I had more music than I could possibly want, and when it came to graphics, plenty of willing volunteers with the skills to match the musicians.

So i've looked at Psytroniks output, and Barnsley Badger caught my eye.

I'm not suggesting a conversion of that game, but a game in that style that technically is easily achievable, relatively simple to code, and a tried and tested formula of game (Dizzy, Impossamole, Rick Dangerous minus the unfair traps) that is generally still liked, and more than anything, is achievable.

My thoughts are thus:

1). 1 disk game
2). A500 1meg minimum spec
3). Dizzy flick screen style game
4). 32 or 64 EHB graphics
5). Music and SFX at the same time, so all mods must be 3 channel except music playing outside of the main game.
6). minimum 100 screens of gameplay

Thoughts please ladies and gentlemen.

I'm getting a little sick of seeing the C64 getting release after release, and the Amiga gets some scraps every now and again.

There is so much talent on this forum, it STUNS me that better use hasn't been made of it.

And no references to Thimbleweed Park thanks, lets keep the discussions to something that IS easily achievable and less adventurous in the time stakes.
Old 16 June 2017, 20:59   #2
kriz

Ah yeah, really hope this works out !!
Old 16 June 2017, 22:40   #3
Alpha One

This is a great idea and I thought so as well some weeks ago.. so far I started on a simple Jump&Run project, I will post some examples here in the near future.
Old 16 June 2017, 23:27   #4
Gzegzolka

I like Your idea and I have no more thoughts - it is Your decision. I wish You good luck
Old 17 June 2017, 00:11   #5
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I'm not suggesting a conversion of that game, but a game in that style that technically is easily achievable, relatively simple to code, and a tried and tested formula of game
Good choice! I can only emphasise the importance of starting small. You can concentrate on making every part of the game perfect, and you don't risk to lose motivation in one of those mega projects.

Quote:
1). 1 disk game
Trackloader?

Quote:
2). A500 1meg minimum spec
Perfect target platform!

Quote:
3). Dizzy flick screen style game
A real Amiga game should usually offer hardware scrolling, but this special type of game might justify your choice.

Quote:
4). 32 or 64 EHB graphics
Should be no problem without scrolling.

Quote:
5). Music and SFX at the same time, so all mods must be 3 channel except music playing outside of the main game.
You already used my ptplayer in Time Stood Still, which can also insert SFX with all four channels busy. Although completely uninterrupted music with one channel less may sound better. I would let the musician make that decision.

Quote:
I'm getting a little sick of seeing the C64 getting release after release, and the Amiga gets some scraps every now and again.
Indeed. I'm excited that experienced coders like you finally start making games as well!

I have a game in the pipeline myself, but I can offer you support with my Protracker-player, trackdisk-routines, and whatever you need to know from my past projects.
Old 17 June 2017, 12:04   #6
BarryB
Amigaholic

My SEALED copy of Barnsley Badger for C64

Just waiting for ARGUS to be released Yes, bought loads of Psytronik releases for C64 but sad no Amiga games are available, hopefully this will change

Stuff like Dynamite Dan, Automania, Poster Paster would be cool!
Old 17 June 2017, 12:43   #7
WayneK

I would love to see something like this, I too get sick of checking CSDB and discovering new c64 games (at least every month, often more frequent than that!) while the Amiga suffers in silence with very little new in the way of homebrew games.

I would love to help, but since I know myself well I can assure you I could never finish a game - I started one on the SMS (Master system) just a few months ago and as soon as I got it to a semi-playable state completely lost interest.

My utmost respect to anyone who sees a (basically) solo project to completion, looking forward to checking out anything you produce!
Old 17 June 2017, 18:30   #8
Amiga1992

RGCD would also take Amiga games, and they don't have any. But there's a queue right now (and Powerglove in it).
Old 18 June 2017, 03:13   #9
idrougge

It's not as though games aren't released, they're just not released through Psytronik.
Old 18 June 2017, 10:13   #10
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
It's not as though games aren't released, they're just not released through Psytronik.

I appreciate that, but if you look at Psytronik as an example, the C64 is very well catered for, there is no equivalent Amiga site that competes on releases.
Old 18 June 2017, 12:11   #11
BarryB
Amigaholic

Some of the C64 releases are expensive when compared to the prices you paid years ago, but these are limited runs without a big spending company/publisher behind them, but you are supporting the authors and getting some really professionally packaged games

If you don't want the fancy packaging though, quite a few are available for Digital Download from itch.io for a few quid!

So far I've bought Disk versions of:

Barnsley Badger - Classic Wallet
Darkness - Ultimate Edition
Gravitrix - Premium+
Hessian - Ultimate Edition
Knight 'n' Grail - Ultimate Edition
Maze of the Mummy - Premium+
My Life - Classic Wallet

So that lot's just over £150 as I wanted a collectible item, end of the day you either pay or walk away!
Old 18 June 2017, 12:32   #12
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Some of the C64 releases are expensive when compared to the prices you paid years ago, but these are limited runs without a big spending company/publisher behind them, but you are supporting the authors and getting some really professionally packaged games

If you don't want the fancy packaging though, quite a few are available for Digital Download from itch.io for a few quid!

So far I've bought Disk versions of:

Barnsley Badger - Classic Wallet
Darkness - Ultimate Edition
Gravitrix - Premium+
Hessian - Ultimate Edition
Knight 'n' Grail - Ultimate Edition
Maze of the Mummy - Premium+
My Life - Classic Wallet

So that lot's just over £150 as I wanted a collectible item, end of the day you either pay or walk away!
You're kind of proving my point

If there are games worth buying, people will buy, and there are plenty of willing buyers should there be the packaging to go with the price.

I've already started work on my own small map editor, I'm determined once Starquake is out the way to do something and put my money where my mouth is
Old 18 June 2017, 13:49   #13
BarryB
Amigaholic

That was the idea, it's finding something to code that people want to buy! Just a pity Starquake can't get the Psytronik treatment

When you look at the 'extras' that Pystronik put in the Ultimate Editions you know why the price is high, things like glossy posters, maps, badges, keyfobs, postcards, stickers etc, there's a lot of work gone into the packaging alone, probably why there are no Ultimate Editions anymore and they've gone for the Premium+ range! Added to this the availability of decent quality 3.5" / 5.25" disks and the increasing costs to make a small run of an item can make or break it!
Old 18 June 2017, 14:44   #14
aszu

well, as far as i'm concerned, https://www.amiga.net.pl/index.php?k...&hss=1&lng=eng publish amiga games and software as well. at this moment they have not only 4 boxed games in stock but also DOpus5 on licence from GPSoftware.
Old 18 June 2017, 15:17   #15
idrougge

Yes, that was one alternative I was thinking of. Amiga.net.pl seem to have everything set up to manufacture and distribute Amiga games.
Old 18 June 2017, 15:29   #16
BarryB
Amigaholic

Well my 2 orders from them didn't prove eventful, my Tanks Furry didn't contain the floppy disk I ordered and my Solid Gold order only delivered the CD Version, the Floppy Version they missed off the order and still hasn't arrived after contacting them about it, so it depends on how good customer service is really!
Old 18 June 2017, 23:03   #17
idrougge

Good point.
Old 19 June 2017, 00:43   #18
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Well my 2 orders from them didn't prove eventful, my Tanks Furry didn't contain the floppy disk I ordered and my Solid Gold order only delivered the CD Version, the Floppy Version they missed off the order and still hasn't arrived after contacting them about it, so it depends on how good customer service is really!
Interesting, they need to be more careful. My Tanks furry also missed floppy, but they sent me it in a new package for free, after I informed them. My boxed floppy Solid Gold arrived without any problem, though. Including everything it should and well wrapped. So in my eyes, they are improving their service.
Old 19 June 2017, 09:51   #19
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Whoever is going to do this (if anyone) you could increase your market (potentially) by also writing it for the Atari ST / TT / Falcon030.

A famous ST coder DML has recently released AGT (Atari game toolkit) reportedly takes the hard work out of writing quality games on that platform.

Unlike "AMOS/STOS/backbone" you really can unleash the full power of the hardware with these libraries. (Full screen Sub-pixel 8-way scrolling with > 16 colours)

Together with the toolkit are lots of tools for palette optimised gfx conversion. Tile conversion. etc.
Old 19 June 2017, 17:41   #20
Amiga1992

Galahad, I think the problem is that, and I am sorry but this is the truth, there just aren't as many games and moreso of publishable quality on the Amiga as there are on the C64. Psytronik and RGCD don't just publish any shit, the output of the C64 scene is much larger than what you see published there.

I checked recently and these are the number of games from the C64 scene through the past decade. In parenthesis, number of those published by Psytronik or RGCD (might be inaccurate but good approximation):

2007: 46 (0)
2008: 49 (7)
2009: 72 (10)
2010: 65 (3)
2011: 75 (7)
2012: 91 (12)
2013: 100 (16)
2014: 92 (7)
2015: 93 (6)
2016: 151 (9)
2017: 47 (6)

The Amiga is lucky if it gets 5 games a year total. And your quality ratio, with those numbers, gets really bad, thus what is published is really bad or very little, take your pick or mix and match.

Let's plonk the same numbers for the Amiga taken from HOL data:

2007: 1
2008: 0
2009: 4
2010: 1
2011: 0
2012: 9
2013: 11
2014: 9
2015: 5
2016: 11
2017: 3

This data also includes old stuff that was lost, so it's also not 100% accurate, but, just look at those numbers

There is talent in this community, you are right, but the main issue is communication and willingness to collaborate. Every Amiga user is an island and wants things their own way. I've seen many times people plain refusing to collaborate when suggested to get a graphician, musician or coder to help them. That's not gonna increase those numbers. But there's also reality, I think the Amiga user base is mostly of gamers and users than makers and creatives. The C64 scene has crazy numbers of active creators and demoscene people. We can't compare fairly. Is it sad? yes, but can it be changed? I dunno.

I personally don't see much difference in games being released by Psytronik, RGXD, Amiga.pl or independently. The matter is the production level and quality.