English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 26 June 2004, 14:50   #1
Marcuz

after a two day testing with the almost bare BWOS 3.0 (the last release installed on a HD dir instead of hdf), i've found that i can reset the emulation (guru 8100 0005, problems in tryin to release the FreeMem, states WhyGuru, from aminet) in seconds after workbench is loaded, everytime i have some lot of icons (10, 15) on screen and i open the floating menu (functions like view>all icons, redraw, etc). i've crashed it like 30 times, but i'm not sure of what it is the program that force the crash. the install as i've said is clean, it is on dir, and i have 2 others hd-dir mounted, but they are fine.
Toni Wilen pointed me to some guru-handler and i've tried to patch the functions of freein' mem of exec.library with some other aminet prog after that, like SpeedMem etc, but no luck.
i've also tryied to tune differents ram settings with no different outcomes.
the only different guru i've produced in my test is a 8100 000f, if i remember well, that concernes the Scalos thing, Gui too big. whatever it means.
here attached the config i use

Last edited by Marcuz; 07 February 2009 at 15:17.
Old 26 June 2004, 17:51   #2
Bloodwych

In the readme, I do state I don't support running the ClassicWB in HD directories because I've found a few little incompatibilities not present in HDF versions. Toni even stated that HD directory code isn't perfect.

Are you saying this issue doesn’t occur on HDF files?

Since I don't use HD directories myself I don't know what could be the cause. The ClassicWB has almost no unofficial patches or hacks installed, just Scalos and a few found in the s/user-startup (related to jpeg files, XFD/XPK handling and in the ADV/ADVSP versions topaz replacement).

The startup drawer is empty unless you've installed copper demon.

If the crash isn't connected to any of those, then it's purely down to Scalos and the popup menu addon.

In HDF files, I've had zero problems apart from one which freezes the system if you attempt to open the popup menu too quickly after loading a program. For instance, if I selected reorg from the popup menu and right clicked again immediately after, the system will freeze. Not sure if this happens on a real Amiga but if it does it's a Scalos/popup menu bug. The issue hardly ever presents itself unless you're trying to open many programs as quickly as possible.

This bug may manifest itself in different ways however, like you're describing. All I can suggest is try removing those extras I've mention and see if the issue remains. If it does, the only solution is removing Scalos or Popup menu.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 26 June 2004 at 17:58.
Old 03 July 2004, 16:05   #3
Marcuz

i still don't know what prog crashed the system, but switching to hdf, whit same settings and same contents, the emulation runs just fine, thanks
now, is it possible to install os3.5 on it? i'm going to try but it seems to me tath i had already test it last year with some problems on hdir...

Last edited by Marcuz; 03 July 2004 at 16:10.
Old 03 July 2004, 19:48   #4
Marcuz

ok it don't work because a wb3.1 is required for the install... but then there would be also the problem of the add-on... not worth trying
Old 04 July 2004, 13:18   #5
Bloodwych

You can't install WB3.5 over it if that's what you mean as settings/icons etc will be lost. If you want to use WB3.1 or 3.5 (not supported by the ClassicWB due to it's intention of staying fully compatible with the standard A1200 3.0 ROM) then it's best to start building your own workbench from scratch.

What you have to ask yourself is if you actually need any of the extra features of the higher workbenches. I personally don't; the ClassicWB does everything I require.
Old 04 July 2004, 14:04   #6
Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych
In HDF files, I've had zero problems apart from one which freezes the system if you attempt to open the popup menu too quickly after loading a program. For instance, if I selected reorg from the popup menu and right clicked again immediately after, the system will freeze. Not sure if this happens on a real Amiga but if it does it's a Scalos/popup menu bug. The issue hardly ever presents itself unless you're trying to open many programs as quickly as possible.
This popup menu bug also happen on real amiga. According to Bloodwych and my own experience, it's a Scalos bug.