English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 11 February 2005, 10:35   #1
buckrogers

Microvitec or scandoubler? Definitive thread.

Putting together an A1200 to play games via whdload. Not too concerned with WB. Like many inthis position I have asked myself "which display?"

I've read tons of posts on this topic but none seem to answer the questions I and I assume other gamers, have in mind.

Choice between:

1. Importing a second hand microvitec from germany (set me back about $200) - around the same price as a new external scandoubler.

Q's:Is a microvitec 1438 a POS (in the context of reliability, adjustments, pic qulaity, etc.)? Are the reliability issues worth it? Is the authenitc picture quality worth the hassle?

2. Getting a scandoubler (Ez-vga or xrgb o2+) for an existing 17" vga trinitron or an older blurrier 15" curved screen (for that old school look).

Q's: I am better off with a scandoubler? Do games look good? Are the scan lines still visible? Do the graphics look blocky?

Last edited by buckrogers; 11 February 2005 at 10:58.
Old 11 February 2005, 10:45   #2
keropi

get an INTERNAL scandoubler...
I have the DCE ScanMagic ( http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showha...cgi?HARDID=363 ) and everything is beautifull... except some things that will always happen using a SD/FF, see here: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ewpost&t=17016
but these are minor probs....
Old 11 February 2005, 10:51   #3
buckrogers

Are the problems limited to only a small amount of games? Do the problems only occur with a FF, but not a SC without built in FF? And are the scan lines still visible? - gotta have the scan lines!
Old 11 February 2005, 10:55   #4
keropi

if you have a FF then the scanlines are not visible...
so far I have spotted only 2 games with these "problems"
Old 11 February 2005, 11:11   #5
wlcina

what about use LCD with scart input ? can be usable ? (samsung 710N)
Old 11 February 2005, 16:30   #6
a_petri

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlcina
AFAIK most of the flickerfixers/scandoublers produce analogue RGB video signals with 31.5 kHz horizontal and 50 Hz vertical sync frequency.

Even some of the current CRT displays have problems with 50 Hz vertical sync, and almost all of the TFT displays can handle 56 Hz or higher only. (The only exceptions I know about are the AG Neovo X-15AV/17AV/19AV models - there may be others, but they are not very common.)
Old 11 February 2005, 16:57   #7
buckrogers

Yes. The majority of TFT's do not sync vertically below 56Hz according to spec sheets, which I beleive is a problem for games that run in PAL mode (50Hz, although PAL 60 is fine) but not properly in NTSC mode (60Hz).

SCART is good but I need a TV that's small enough for a desk. Most TV's here no longer have SCART inputs. Older bigger ones do. Newer ones have component inputs, which means an RGB to component converter is needed (about the same cost as a scandoubler).
Old 03 March 2006, 10:33   #8
Startrek-amiga

Smile Microvitec Monitor.

Please can you tell me where in germany you got the monitor. I would like either the 14" 15" or 17" modle.
Old 03 March 2006, 16:41   #9
fc.studio
Cat lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek-amiga
Please can you tell me where in germany you got the monitor. I would like either the 14" 15" or 17" modle.

I bought an Amiga M1438S from www.vesalia.de about 3 years ago at
€ 49,99 + €20,00/€30,00 p&p. I received it after about 2 months
from the order... Bad original packaging but monitor in excellent condition
with all cables (new or as new).
I don't think it's available now.
This was an affordable price and lower than SD/FF at that time and
therefore I went for it.

SD/FF is expensive but it's great to have the opportunity
to connect every monitor you want.

In my opinion this is a good monitor with 2 speakers included;
It has minimal control (i.e. No horizontal phase). I set it with an Aminet software that now I don't remember the name.
I use DBLPAL near to 800x600 for WB and Internet, it autosyncs for
PAL games. I'm happy with it.
Old 04 March 2006, 22:22   #10
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_petri
Even some of the current CRT displays have problems with 50 Hz vertical sync, and almost all of the TFT displays can handle 56 Hz or higher only. (The only exceptions I know about are the AG Neovo X-15AV/17AV/19AV models - there may be others, but they are not very common.)
I beg to differ. For example Viewsonic TFTs sync down to 50Hz and they are certainly not rare.

This is more of a myth, it is relatively easy to find 50Hz displays. They might not be the cheapest in the shop, but I guess that can't be helped.
Old 08 March 2006, 13:38   #11
zlasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlcina
I have this exact configuration - the screen is blurry - just as described.
But the monitor will sync to the tv-input as it should.

Zlasher

Old 08 March 2006, 17:34   #12
Parsec

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_petri
AFAIK most of the flickerfixers/scandoublers produce analogue RGB video signals with 31.5 kHz horizontal and 50 Hz vertical sync frequency.

Isn't he talking about an LCD TV rather than an LCD monitor, connected via SCART. In which case the scan rates supported isn't an issue is it?
Old 08 March 2006, 19:47   #13
a_petri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope
I beg to differ. For example Viewsonic TFTs sync down to 50Hz and they are certainly not rare.

This is more of a myth, it is relatively easy to find 50Hz displays. They might not be the cheapest in the shop, but I guess that can't be helped.
Okay, I stand corrected ;-)

The capabilities of the commercially available TFT devices change rather quickly, and *now* 50Hz-capable TFT displays are much more common now than they were during Fall 2004, when I bought mine.

(For the record: it is an AG Neovo F-417, and I am quite satisfied - it gives a decent non-blurred picture with an old MV1200 external scandoubler.)