English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 28 May 2019, 23:23   #1
Octopus66

Beamrace Lagless 4.21

Some questions/issues on 4.21:

Why has the No Buffering option disappeared from Display setting from version 4, even without a VSync display mode selected?

I understand that Lagless Vsync (Beamrace) 1 slice mode should be functionally identical to old Lagless Vsync (v3.5). This seems to be true if I emulate an Amiga 500/1200 exact cycles, but with a faster Amiga emulated this 1 slice setting goes quite wrong on my machine. I have attached logs for Alien Breed 3D - with 1 or any numbers of slices the screen does not update at all (sounds still work). If I change to no vsync option the screen starts to refresh again - however this still has tearing - I need to revert to WinUAE 3.5 and old lagless vsync to get the behaviour I want. Logs attached AB3D.zip.
Ideally I would like to be able to use >1 slice but I understand this may not be possible with a high CPU game.

Second example is my emulating a faster Amiga again. This time Zeewolf reaches the first screen (bouncing large Zeewolf logo) and seems to run just fine using 4 slice on my system. If I reduce the slice to 1 then the emulation slows to a crawl and cannot display a smooth animation or sound. Logs attached Zeewolf.zip.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: zip AB3D.zip (10.0 KB, 133 views)
File Type: zip Zeewolf.zip (10.2 KB, 109 views)
Old 29 May 2019, 22:15   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

No buffering was mostly useless, it was not really used except in old low latency vsync and new lagless vsync does not need it.

Do you mean fastest possible CPU causes problems (and not CPU model)? Check CPU Idle because there is chance it can cause side-effects.

EDIT: Does anything change if you disable sound and/or switch to WASAPI sound?
Old 29 May 2019, 23:37   #3
Octopus66

I can see no difference with a variety of CPU settings, including CPU Idle settings.
I see no difference disabling sound or WASAPI sound.

Same issues occur regardless.
Old 30 May 2019, 09:54   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Then you need to redefine "faster"

You need to find out which option makes the difference. Only option that can cause major difference is fastest possible. For example cycle exact + A1200 is really host CPU heavy so it can't be host related.

If (for example) switching off cycle exact makes it worse, it could be power saving related. For example nvidia adaptive power saving rarely works with lagless vsync.
Old 30 May 2019, 22:32   #5
Octopus66

Sorry - I think I confused the issue. All these issues are present when fastest possible CPU is turned on and nothing changes when I play with the CPU sliders.

They both work fine with cycle exact + lagless beam race, but the framerate is not really ideal.