English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 19 January 2015, 15:03   #21
Cherno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil79 View Post
Do you have a link to the latest build? As the OP is the old one

Cheers
I haven't uploaded a newer one yet. I want to have a number of things in before releasing a new version that shows real improvement, otherwise people will get tired of seeing the same kind of game over and over again and lose interest, and interest and criticism is what keeps a fan project like this going
Old 19 January 2015, 15:07   #22
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherno View Post
I haven't uploaded a newer one yet. I want to have a number of things in before releasing a new version that shows real improvement, otherwise people will get tired of seeing the same kind of game over and over again and lose interest, and interest and criticism is what keeps a fan project like this going
Yeh no worries, let me know when it's ready so I can announce it to the retro community
Old 21 January 2015, 10:29   #23
Cherno

Just found this documentary-style video about the Origins of Open World Gaming, which also mentions Hunter

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 21 January 2015, 11:22   #24
jimmy2x2x
Beyond Mutton

Quote:
...people will get tired of seeing the same kind of game over and over again and lose interest, and interest and criticism is what keeps a fan project like this going
Very insightful!

If more people understood this, more would be created
Old 21 January 2015, 11:56   #25
Cherno

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy2x2x View Post
Very insightful!

If more people understood this, more would be created
Nevertheless I have decided to create a Call of Duty-clone instead, because I think that is is innovative and will bring new ideas to the genre
Old 28 January 2015, 09:31   #26
Cherno

Sorry for the lack of updates, I had to redo the character controller and after that was done I somehow broke my vehicle physics which I couldn't find the solution after countless attempts till I finally found a workaround.
Old 04 February 2015, 22:34   #27
Cherno

I made good progress the last several days. More buildings with interiors, including the Headquarter; Modeled some props, furniture and terrain objects; Added a zoom function to the aiming feature; The missile boat now fires guided missiles with a little pixelated particle effect trailing behind them Oh, and I added an animated flagpole, fluttering in the wind All vehicles and weapons now take their data from XML files that are loaded at game start.

Currently I'm implementing a day/night cycle.

Last edited by Cherno; 05 February 2015 at 00:34.
Old 05 February 2015, 15:53   #28
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Youtube videos or it didn't happen.
Old 12 February 2015, 22:25   #29
Cherno

Death takes a ride...

Last edited by Cherno; 07 October 2015 at 20:57.
Old 19 February 2015, 02:14   #30
Cherno

Current task: Coding a lock-on system for the missile launcher on the missile boat. about 75% done

Also, some work in progress models.

Last edited by Cherno; 07 October 2015 at 20:57.
Old 19 February 2015, 02:22   #31
Vot

Quote:
Current task: Coding a lock-on system for the missile launcher on the missile boat. about 75% done

Also, some work in progress models.

Great work.. Love hunter will have to download the work in progress and check it out...
Old 19 February 2015, 02:30   #32
Cherno

Cool. Just be aware that the version currently uploaded is a first effort to gartner interest In the meantime, I have added a lot of things, but haven't released a new version so far because it still needs some tuning.
Old 19 February 2015, 10:10   #33
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:
Cool. Just be aware that the version currently uploaded is a first effort to gartner interest In the meantime, I have added a lot of things, but haven't released a new version so far because it still needs some tuning.
Old 02 March 2015, 17:34   #34
Cherno

Excuse the lack of progress reports, I'm currently trying to tackle the streaming ob world objects, which is a completely new thing to me and progress is very slow (partly because it's also not much fun and also pretty complicated). You see, with a fairly big game world (nearly 15 km² / 10.5 square miles), with lots of things like buildings, vehicles, trees and whatnot, it's very resource-intensive to have it all "there" at the same time. This is why open world games like Skyrim or Fallout stream objects in and out of virtual existence while the player moves through the world. The world is divided into chunks or cells, and only the objects in cells near the player's current position are actually fully "there" with their models, AI, physics and so on, while the vast rest only exists in memory.
Old 02 March 2015, 17:55   #35
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Do you (want to) have overhangs such as caves? Otherwise you could employ the good old heightmap trick to get such gigantic worlds with little actual memory used for the world data. With such a low resolution world as hunter has, each pixel in the heightmap could represent a significant amount of on-screen space.
Old 02 March 2015, 18:10   #36
Cherno

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Do you (want to) have overhangs such as caves? Otherwise you could employ the good old heightmap trick to get such gigantic worlds with little actual memory used for the world data. With such a low resolution world as hunter has, each pixel in the heightmap could represent a significant amount of on-screen space.
I do use a 256x256 pixel heightmap, with one pixel for each terrain vertex. The world is low resolution enough to have all of it's chunks (8x8) exist at once without any problems, so I'm not streaming the ground and water, only all the other objects.

And no, there are no caves or overhangs. It's all just like we know it from the original Hunter
Old 02 March 2015, 22:47   #37
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Well the objects are also pretty low resolution, so perhaps you are solving problems here that don't actually exist?

(I get it though, of course you feel the pressure of the fact that the game ran on a standard A500 with almost no resources at all).
Old 03 March 2015, 02:38   #38
Cherno

Actually the issues at hand is not the complexity of the models as most are indeed extremely low-poly, but rather that the Unity Engine doesn't like having hundreds and hundreds of seperate gameObjects in the scene at once, even if they are just cubes that don't do anything. Once a four digits number is reached, frame rate starts to drop.
The original even had to make sure that only one other character was on screen along with the player, so I should be glad to have a little bit more power at my disposal
Old 03 March 2015, 10:49   #39
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The scene for rendering and the world data should be two separate things though. I thought we were talking about the streaming of world data.

Meh, that's too technical for this thread. Moving along!
Old 03 March 2015, 10:53   #40
Vot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
The scene for rendering and the world data should be two separate things though. I thought we were talking about the streaming of world data.

Meh, that's too technical for this thread. Moving along!

Yea i didn't quite understand the game should be MVC at least and only objects seen in the view rendered in the scene.