English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 11 September 2011, 20:13   #1
r0ber7
it's all in your head

Smile Released: Red Wizard Island alpha v.0.24 (AGA)

Hello.

Finally, I can present to you the first test version of the game I've been working on. In it, you assume the role of a red wizard who has been sent for by the king. Most of the game consists of shooting fireballs at vikings. I already have ideas for other worlds, and they will be much larger than this one. (I've thought of a different way to make levels, this one is just a big iff.)

Check out the video below to see the game in action:

[ Show youtube player ]

To download, see screenshots, and other things, go to the Red Wizard Island website. If it doesn't load, hit refresh. My hosting isn't expensive. ;-) Before playing please read the readmefirst.txt.

Screenshot in the attachment, more on the site.

I'm taking a break on development of this game for now. It's been a long run getting this first release ready. But it's very likely I'll release more levels and continue the storyline some time in the future.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prepcast1.png
Views:	676
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	29435  
Old 11 September 2011, 20:27   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

Thank you. There was some reason to use AGA chipset?
Old 11 September 2011, 21:25   #3
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Thanks, great to see a new game
I realize it's suppose to be night, but the graphics could be a bit brighter, I can't see shishkebab on my CRT monitor.
Should be better on my real Amiga connected to a CRT TV.
Old 12 September 2011, 09:10   #4
Graham Humphrey

Thanks! Looks very promising

Got a bit of an issue though - occasionally when you get the ball back to the gnomes and you get taught that spell, inexplicably the screenmode appears to switch to NTSC by the looks of it - it's really stretched and the bottom of the screen gets cut off. Which is unfortunate as you can't see what you're doing.

This doesn't happen every time and when it does quitting back to Workbench is the only way to solve it.

Also: joystick/joypad support would be nice
Old 12 September 2011, 13:02   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quick note: In Chrome the links don't work. Having a look at the page it seems the 'content' div gets a height of 0 pixel. Maybe you can have a look
Old 12 September 2011, 16:29   #6
r0ber7
it's all in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Thank you. There was some reason to use AGA chipset?
64 colours, I need them! :P But if someone knows a quick efficient way to turn animbrushes and iff's into 32 colours while still keeping the correct palette order for all of them, I have no problem with a non-aga version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Thanks! Looks very promising

Got a bit of an issue though - occasionally when you get the ball back to the gnomes and you get taught that spell, inexplicably the screenmode appears to switch to NTSC by the looks of it - it's really stretched and the bottom of the screen gets cut off. Which is unfortunate as you can't see what you're doing.

This doesn't happen every time and when it does quitting back to Workbench is the only way to solve it.

Also: joystick/joypad support would be nice
I've noticed this behavior. It appears somewhat random and I can't really put my finger on what's causing it. Will look into it. Keep in mind: alpha version. Joystick movement noted, will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Quick note: In Chrome the links don't work. Having a look at the page it seems the 'content' div gets a height of 0 pixel. Maybe you can have a look
Sorry can't be bothered right now. Download is here: http://www.psyview.nl/rwi/rwi.0.24.lha

In the adress bar, what do the w and h variables show?

Last edited by r0ber7; 12 September 2011 at 17:10.
Old 13 September 2011, 21:12   #7
r0ber7
it's all in your head

Ok, quick update. I added some joystick movement support and I think I tackled the screen issue too. If anyone wants to test it out that'd be much appreciated.

http://www.psyview.nl/rwi/rwi.0.24b.lha
Old 13 September 2011, 21:18   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ber7 View Post
In the adress bar, what do the w and h variables show?
Yep, they do, correctly even
Old 14 September 2011, 10:57   #9
r0ber7
it's all in your head

I just installed Chrome, and everything displays fine here...

I added a css reset to be sure, but the old code displays as well.

Last edited by r0ber7; 14 September 2011 at 11:02.
Old 14 September 2011, 13:27   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Display is fine, but try to click a link.
Old 14 September 2011, 13:32   #11
r0ber7
it's all in your head

Ah, ok. Should work now, no?

Game related: working on level editor and a new way of scrolling so levels can be much larger. Consider this first island a proof of concept. I'm setting up everything right now to be able to make big levels, so that it will be more of a voyage than just bouncing around on one island. This will take a while, but once it's set up I won't need much more code, mainly pixeling and level editing. I aim to add as little code as possible, since once this is finished I'll be porting the code to GLBasic for Windows, Linux, possibly iOS.

I would also like some feedback if possible on the screen issue mentioned by Graham.

Last edited by r0ber7; 14 September 2011 at 13:42.
Old 14 September 2011, 14:13   #12
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Thanks, it's fixed now
Had a quick go in WinUAE 2.3.2 and no issues regarding the screenmode here.
Old 15 September 2011, 00:44   #13
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
I would also like some feedback if possible on the screen issue mentioned by Graham.
Confirmed working perfectly on my A1200

Joystick movement still absent though
Old 15 September 2011, 22:31   #14
kriz

Looking forward to finally try this game, nice progress going !!
Old 17 September 2011, 17:17   #15
Leffmann

Looks great!
Old 21 September 2011, 14:12   #16
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Great game, I enjoyed getting the ball back to the elves... with a little skill you can header it all the way back to them
Not managed to defeat all the vikings yet though... I must remember to jump to avoid thrown objects.

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Old 06 November 2011, 01:33   #17
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Hows the game coming along?

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Old 07 November 2011, 21:28   #18
r0ber7
it's all in your head

I'm sorry, I should've told you guys.

I have bad news and good news. The bad news is, I've stopped working on this game.

The good news is, I'm still working on this game, except not for the Amiga. After releasing in this thread, I did some pondering. I could code the whole thing for Amiga, which would mean a select base of players and a constant battle with cpu, memory, etc. Or I could switch the code to a Basic variant for newer systems and do all the stuff I really want to do without any hassle, maybe even make some money off it.

I chose the latter. The game has changed a lot since its first conception. Check out the latest video here:

[ Show youtube player ]

If you still want to play this and you have no problem playing this on your PC, Android, iPhone, Linux box, or Mac, subscribe to my development blog for updates: http://www.psyview.nl/blog/

I'm aiming for at least a demo release in february 2012. Once again, I'm sorry to let down the Amiga folks. It's now more of a tribute to the Amiga (I'll throw in a boing ball somewhere definitely, and some praise about the Amiga ), and I couldn't have done it without the help of the Blitz Basic people around here. If you want to test out, the EAB people will definitely be among the first to receive my test invites.
Old 07 November 2011, 22:02   #19
Raislin77it
Zone Friend

Quote:
I'm sorry, I should've told you guys.

I have bad news and good news. The bad news is, I've stopped working on this game.

The good news is, I'm still working on this game, except not for the Amiga. After releasing in this thread, I did some pondering. I could code the whole thing for Amiga, which would mean a select base of players and a constant battle with cpu, memory, etc. Or I could switch the code to a Basic variant for newer systems and do all the stuff I really want to do without any hassle, maybe even make some money off it.

I chose the latter. The game has changed a lot since its first conception. Check out the latest video here:

[ Show youtube player ]

If you still want to play this and you have no problem playing this on your PC, Android, iPhone, Linux box, or Mac, subscribe to my development blog for updates: http://www.psyview.nl/blog/

I'm aiming for at least a demo release in february 2012. Once again, I'm sorry to let down the Amiga folks. It's now more of a tribute to the Amiga (I'll throw in a boing ball somewhere definitely, and some praise about the Amiga ), and I couldn't have done it without the help of the Blitz Basic people around here. If you want to test out, the EAB people will definitely be among the first to receive my test invites.
maybe u can release the source code of the amiga version ( maybe an old beta), so i can figure out how to implement the double buffering and some sprite basics

Last edited by Raislin77it; 07 November 2011 at 22:03. Reason: fixed some typos
Old 08 November 2011, 07:58   #20
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
It's gone almost the same way as Babylonian Twins...