English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 23 June 2005, 19:59   #21
DeAdLy_cOoKiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWalker
If you send me the Exile ECS sprites I can colour correct them easily. I'd like to decode the entire text as well. It would be nice to have the whole raw materials, even if they're not much use without some code to put them all together
I agree, the samples are in the zone. It would great if you (or anyone else) would try and decode the rest of the text. The sprites were useless so I deleted them. I have seen the thread though, including some of ECS sprites, but it seems as if they are incomplete. Perhaps this could be re-done properly? I'm not interested in the AGA version to be honest.

I'm pretty certain about the color shifts, it's one of Exile's technical features I suppose.

The BMP version of the map is the same, I have it zipped in a 5MB file (It's 156 MB unzipped). It would be nice to have it hosted somewhere (for the purpose of backup - I will send it to you if you want it). The map on HOL is a PNG version to reduce size. PNG is NOT the same quality as BMP (you'll start to notice when you zoom in/out).
Attached Files
File Type: zip exile-novella.zip (223.1 KB, 261 views)

Last edited by DeAdLy_cOoKiE; 27 April 2006 at 00:42.
Old 23 June 2005, 20:15   #22
terryhan

I'm only getting my ideas about an algorithm from second-hand sources - mainly http://exile.acornarcade.com/devel.html.

Quote:
There's about 1.5K of bitmapped "map", stored in triangular regions. This encodes the complex bits like the ship and a few important locations elsewhere. The rest of it is generated by code. The algorithm takes X and Y as input, and outputs one a tile value (0 to 255, or perhaps less). It accounts for rock strata, water levels, rooms, corridoors, etc. Fantastic!

The algorithm is hideous. It has lots of things like: Get X shift left twice (*4) EOR with Y shift right add Y multiply by 2 if < 20 then .... Ghastly! It had a couple of K or code like that. Staggering. I did work out how the graphics were stored, and how to generate maps.
Old 23 June 2005, 20:18   #23
DeAdLy_cOoKiE

That is for the BBC version, that algorithm does not apply to other versions. The map of exile is generated in similar fashion like other games (well not quite).

By the way, I want this thread to stay serious, and in context with the subject: game map/2d remake of Exile ECS.

I've played the existing (unfinished) remakes (I like what James Howat did with the particles/wind/water), I've had a conversation with the game author before and I think I know how he feels about an exact remake, I've already visited various exile related sites. I'm interested in having the RAW materials online (map/samples/sprites) as well, and I hope Johnny can help here, and someone to see if they can hack/decode part of the gamecode (captain paranoia, where are you?). And ofcourse, someone with EXPERIENCE, that is able to get that map working in a game engine of some sort, in a manner which I described above.

Maybe then someday we will be able to play the game on PC in high resolution, and maybe with additional features (which could be discussed from there on: multiplayer, level editor etc.).

Update: Exile messages, samples attachments (Bmp version of the map is too big for attachment, is currently in the zone)

Update 2: Sprites ripped/rastered by Gifgit.

Update 3: Transparent map.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ex spr1.png
Views:	605
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	8772   Click image for larger version

Name:	ex spr2.png
Views:	536
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	8789   Click image for larger version

Name:	EXILE_ECS_SPRITES.png
Views:	1029
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	8790  
Attached Files
File Type: zip ExileSamples.zip (168.7 KB, 276 views)
File Type: txt messages.txt (2.4 KB, 263 views)

Last edited by DeAdLy_cOoKiE; 30 March 2006 at 08:05.
Old 23 June 2005, 21:24   #24
NPI

the HoL map is huge !!!

anyone ever finished Exile?
Old 23 June 2005, 22:01   #25
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
I`ve got extremely close... meaning I could see the big machine and stuff.. still have the .uss, need to get back into it and complete!!
Old 05 March 2006, 03:38   #26
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Coolio! I'd forgotten about this thread for a while! I think I'll try and write a program that will automatically decode the entire text file!
Old 27 March 2006, 05:27   #27
DeAdLy_cOoKiE

Some stuff I've done in photoshop:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled-2.JPG
Views:	491
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	10634   Click image for larger version

Name:	exps10.JPG
Views:	423
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	10635   Click image for larger version

Name:	exps11.JPG
Views:	424
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	10636   Click image for larger version

Name:	exps7.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	430.1 KB
ID:	10637   Click image for larger version

Name:	exps8.JPG
Views:	457
Size:	437.2 KB
ID:	10638  

Old 26 June 2006, 00:44   #28
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Nice!
Old 26 December 2006, 16:58   #29
Grimbog

any ongoing news with this? been an avid fan of exile since the demo was first release in AP... or was it in AF... ah crap...
Old 28 December 2006, 04:51   #30
gizmomelb

there was a nice multi-page spread and interview with (Peter Irvin?) in issue #30 of the paper magazine 'Retro Gamer' (I think issue #32 is in the UK newsagents at the moment).
Old 28 December 2006, 10:45   #31
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Yeah. might scan it and up it here if anyone wants it
Old 03 July 2008, 02:45   #32
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

I want it!!! (If you still have it!)
Old 25 June 2017, 16:46   #33
Grimbog

Hi guys, sorry to resurrect this thread but I'm looking to create a small hobby project for Exile using the Unity engine, and ended up ripping the sprites again.

Why? Nothing major - I noticed two things with the original rips 1. the alignment was slightly off, and two of the colour palettes were incorrect.

It took a while but managed to get them and you can find these attached. I've done two versions of each type - the first with a simple black background and the second with two transparent layers - the red background is used on those map tiles for when the copper gradient is generated in game to give that colour effect as you go vertically deeper in to the level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAdLy_cOoKiE View Post
Update: Exile messages, samples attachments (Bmp version of the map is too big for attachment, is currently in the zone)

Update 2: Sprites ripped/rastered by Gifgit.

Update 3: Transparent map.
DeAdLy_cOoKiE, not sure if you're still active on the board, but it would be really awesome if you still have that file? - I'l try to message you separately.

I've attempted to remap the level using Maptapper, but its not matching those tiles - I guess that its related to the fact that those sprites are a mixture of sizes ranging from 8/16/32 but Maptapper can only use one size across the collection of tiles (I believe). Anyone got any suggestions?

My thinking right now was to do this by hand, and simply overlay the map taken from HOL, and then use Unity with a tile mapping util to slowly go through and add it all in. Finally add a Copper layer in the background and maybe some parallaxed items... nothing major.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	exile100_sprites_b.png
Views:	176
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	53538   Click image for larger version

Name:	exile100_sprites_t.png
Views:	170
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	53539   Click image for larger version

Name:	exile100_tiles_b.png
Views:	236
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	53540   Click image for larger version

Name:	exile100_tiles_t.png
Views:	163
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	53541  
Old 12 July 2017, 16:58   #34
trixster
Guru Meditating

Great thread. A new version of exile would be amazing, it has to be my favourite game. I remember getting it was a kid on the BBC, there really was nothing else like it. I still can't quite understand why the Archimedes never saw a port of it.
Old 15 January 2018, 13:00   #35
Jason H

Someday, I'll sit down to seriously tackle the game. Played it on the CBM64 before, such an awesome game. Thanks for the map.