English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CD32 Conversion

Old 03 January 2024, 00:09   #1221
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Maybe the Keyboard ribbon is loose?

Workbench 1.3? Came with a keynoard testing program?
Old 03 January 2024, 00:18   #1222
khph_re

The lid has been lifted no end of times, as I fiddled with the CF connector to get it working (Turned out he'd shipped it without a jumper it needed..),
So i'll try re-seating it, if not, then a good clean.

Jotd, the Function key problem is hardware, CD32load is fine, I know, as I just tested my original floppies and had the same problem.

No luck with Pinball Fantasies, probably needs too much memory. Would it work better with a file version, rather than disks... does CD32 load support that?

As for saving, is that something WHDLoad will do on the A600? Is it just CD32load that won't (Guessing as CD32 NVRAM is tiny?)

Still, success! and thank you both for all the advice, and your hard work on this Jotd. I did warn her she would still need disks for some things.
Old 03 January 2024, 00:36   #1223
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
No luck with Pinball Fantasies, probably needs too much memory. Would it work better with a file version, rather than disks... does CD32 load support that?
I never tested that one. The CD32 had the AGA version so I didn't bother too much making the ECS version work or testing it. Big diskfiles + 1MB game is definitely a problem because CD32load needs to cache the entire diskfiles into memory. It will work very well for standard ADF size (901120 bytes) but anything like 970kb will be a problem.

Yes, if it came with a file version it would definitely work. Too bad the only DOS version is AGA...

1MB game + 970Kb preload leaves not enough room for resident CD32load stuff & slave. A lot of good games are like that, unfortunately.

Quote:
As for saving, is that something WHDLoad will do on the A600? Is it just CD32load that won't (Guessing as CD32 NVRAM is tiny?)
WHDload will flash like hell, but will save. CD32load is not designed to save anything, not even in the NVRAM. So maybe use whdload for games that absolutely need saving. For instance, if you take Cadaver, the OS flashes are probably bearable since the game doesn't load very often. Gods will work if you have the highscore file already available with passwords recorded on it... and so on, you see the limitations.

Now about the keyboard:

If you have a joypad, you can use CD32load to emulate the keyboard, for instance function keys

Just remap unused buttons (green, yellow, ...) to function keys for games you want

for instance with JOY1GREEN=0x50, if you press green it sends "F1" keypress, even without a keyboard (like on CD32 console!)

A lot of whdload slaves have been directly upgraded around 2020 to completely get rid of the keyboard. Quote the games you want to run without keyboard and I'll be able to help you.

I had made that list a few years ago: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...4LI/edit#gid=0. Check it out, you'll see that more than 650 games are playable with CD32load. And that's only the ones that I tested, I didn't test all the crappy ones.

Last edited by jotd; 03 January 2024 at 00:45.
Old 03 January 2024, 00:40   #1224
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I don't know about Pinball Fantasies have to let Jotd answer that.
But you can have a look at these
https://ftp2.grandis.nu/turransearch...0&httplinks=on

Iirc the Table Selection Crack thing works but you loose the nice Menu.

Supposedly there is an Official HD install for Pinball Fantasies but very rare.
https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=1599056
Old 03 January 2024, 00:43   #1225
khph_re

Even more good advice from the pair of you, thank you. I'll have a look tomorrow, off to bed now. Looks like I'll have to buy a CD 32 pad to take advantage of all the hard work -currently using Megadrive pads.
Old 03 January 2024, 00:48   #1226
jotd
This cat is no more

You can map the second & third button of any 3-button joystick that work with the Amiga too. Not required to have a CD32 pad, but for your case, if the keyboard is beyond repair, buying a KTRLCD32 or Honeybee or other is cheap and will solve most issues.

Earok even implemented a virtual keyboard in CD32load. It's not very easy to use (doc is in the cd32load archive), but it does the job.