English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 July 2017, 22:23   #981
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
I gave this a try and increased the sonnet's priority to 50 (the next highest is the Cyberstorm's at 40). A 20mb MP3 was copied from a partition into the RAM disk then from the RAM back onto a second partition. I then rebooted and the MP3 played fine.

I then tried to copy a 180mb MP3 in the same way but it failed to even start copying into ram, the asyncio process just sat doing nothing even though subsequently trying to manipulate the file said it was in use.

I need to try this again but I've run out of time at the moment.
I meant to do this test while using the minimal startup sequence. If you start Workbench first you're going to have all sort of problems. Like that task is going to be running out of Sonnet space due to priority, though the libraries will be in 68k RAM.
Old 24 July 2017, 22:58   #982
trixster
Guru Meditating

Ah, ok, I'll give it another try.
Old 29 July 2017, 22:43   #983
trixster
Guru Meditating

Ive managed to find another sonnet, it'll be here next week hopefully. This is a G3 400Mhz 1mb cache. I guess it'll tell us whether the original sonnet really does need some tlc or whether something about my A4000 is massively allergic to ppc!
Old 31 July 2017, 10:11   #984
kev
Banned

dibs on the broken? been waiting to get 1 so either way ill buy the spare
Old 09 August 2017, 09:36   #985
spudje

So, my memory arrived (not tested yet). Meaning I can start this Sonnet thing

First I'll finish my AOS4.1 setup, which will take me another week or so. Then I'll switch to AOS3.9 again for the Sonnet.

So where do I start. Is there already some sort of guide, or should I go look through this thread? Do I have to switch the "Master" jumper. If so I guess I'll put a switch on that as I want to be able to choose between ASO3.9 with CSPPC, AOS3.9 with Sonnet & AOS4.1 with CSPPC.

Can I also use the Sonnet memory just as FastRAM in AOS3.9, not using the Sonnet CPU but the CSPPC?
Old 09 August 2017, 09:41   #986
strim
NetBSD developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
So where do I start. Is there already some sort of guide, or should I go look through this thread?
1. Prepare fresh AmigaOS 3 installation, without WarpUP, without any weird additions, patches, etc.

2. Grab latest binary from:
https://sonnet.uguu.waw.pl/jenkins/job/sonnetamiga/

3. Read README.md.

4. Read other documentation at wiki:
https://github.com/Sakura-IT/SonnetAmiga/wiki

5. Pray for success.

Quote:
Do I have to switch the "Master" jumper.
Nope.

Quote:
If so I guess I'll put a switch on that as I want to be able to choose between ASO3.9 with CSPPC, AOS3.9 with Sonnet & AOS4.1 with CSPPC.
The behaviour of this jumper is not fully understood. You may ask Elbox, maybe they'll tell you.

Quote:
Can I also use the Sonnet memory just as FastRAM in AOS3.9, not using the Sonnet CPU but the CSPPC?
Currently RAM is added as a part of InitPPC program, which also patches the system to use Sonnet for PPC purposes (okay, that's not entirely correct, as InitPPC just loads Sonnet powerpc.library which in turn does the RAM adding and patching).

Last edited by strim; 09 August 2017 at 10:16. Reason: further explanation
Old 09 August 2017, 12:55   #987
grelbfarlk

I agree ask Elbox if this jumper does anything, otherwise don't touch it.

You don't have to do anything hardware wise to switch between AOS3.9/Sonnet,CSPPC/AOS41,CSPPC.

At this point if you want to switch between the Sonnet and the CSPPC with AOS3.9, just change which powerpc.library you have in libs-that's it, it means installing WarpUP 5.1 first. I would avoid opening the WarpOS preferences tool as any advice people have for making changes in this tool are usually meant for Blizzard PPC boards and don't apply to your system.

Just remember to remove deficons from your WBStartup folder or deficons.prefs from ENVARC:, I don't think this ever got resolved, otherwise your system may look like it locked up when Workbench comes up.
Old 09 August 2017, 13:17   #988
spudje

Thanks guys for all the tips, sounds like I have some experimenting hours ahead of me BTW that deficons tip, is that Sonnet only, or WarpOS in general? As I'm currently already experiencing a temporary stall everytime I boot, but i thought that was Roadshow connecting to the network.
Old 09 August 2017, 13:50   #989
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Thanks guys for all the tips, sounds like I have some experimenting hours ahead of me BTW that deficons tip, is that Sonnet only, or WarpOS in general? As I'm currently already experiencing a temporary stall everytime I boot, but i thought that was Roadshow connecting to the network.
The deficons issue is just a Sonnet issue. If you have Roadshow doing autoconnect on boot, I'd suspect that first, try turning that off first.
Old 09 August 2017, 13:53   #990
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:

As far as I know Sonnet only. I haven't looked at the library in a while now. I'll have a look this evening to see if I can fix it.

As far as I know the LoadSeg() patch conflicts with DefIcons trying to check files on being executables. I could just blacklist the DefIcons process in the LoadSeg() patch, see if that helps.

Aminet is also due for a new version :-)

Edit: I updated the library with a fix for DefIcons. Please test it.

Last edited by Hedeon; 09 August 2017 at 21:27. Reason: Added DefIcons fix
Old 10 August 2017, 03:00   #991
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
As far as I know Sonnet only. I haven't looked at the library in a while now. I'll have a look this evening to see if I can fix it.

As far as I know the LoadSeg() patch conflicts with DefIcons trying to check files on being executables. I could just blacklist the DefIcons process in the LoadSeg() patch, see if that helps.

Aminet is also due for a new version :-)

Edit: I updated the library with a fix for DefIcons. Please test it.
Didn't work for me, ramlib crashes during boot and starting with minimal startup no Sonnet memory gets added to the system. Reverted to 274 and everything is back to normal.
Old 10 August 2017, 14:02   #992
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Could you elaborate a bit more? The code added is in a LoadSeg() patch. That patch is added to the system after the setup of the PPC. So there should be no interference in the setup of the PPC so memory addition should work anyway.

You don't get a error message using the minimalistic boot for example?
Old 10 August 2017, 22:48   #993
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
Could you elaborate a bit more? The code added is in a LoadSeg() patch. That patch is added to the system after the setup of the PPC. So there should be no interference in the setup of the PPC so memory addition should work anyway.

You don't get a error message using the minimalistic boot for example?
Using the minimalistic boot, no it did not get any errors but running showconfig or loadwb only my motherboard and accelerator memory show up. Booting normally with 275 I got two quick recoverable alerts 8100 00FF, and then ramlib crashes just as the Voodoo screen initializes.

Sorry for lack of detail I didn't have time to really dive into it last night. I'll see where it is bombing out as soon as I can.
Old 12 August 2017, 17:26   #994
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Please stick to 274 for now. I am able to reproduce the error. It is already showing after only adding nop instructions. Or after removing the ppc.library. Need to figure out what is going on
Old 13 August 2017, 00:57   #995
grelbfarlk

Hedeon just released 278 which seems to work fine and deficons works again.
Old 14 August 2017, 17:08   #996
starship

Hi.
This is my system fault on froggerNG when I slide any video on window mode.
It is happening to anybody? I tried different stacksize options for execute file but not effected. I am using the latest build 278.

Last edited by starship; 13 October 2019 at 14:57.
Old 14 August 2017, 18:18   #997
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

DAR register has the address which the PPC is trying to access when a DSI is involved. It is 0x00000010 which means that the DSI is the result of a zero page access which is indeed verboten.

Not sure why it happens, however.
Old 14 August 2017, 18:42   #998
starship

Is it happening to you on window mode?
If it is not happening to anybody this is my os's problem.

Last edited by starship; 14 August 2017 at 19:05.
Old 14 August 2017, 22:00   #999
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by starship View Post
Is it happening to you on window mode?
If it is not happening to anybody this is my os's problem.
You mean moving the window while playing a video or moving the slider of the window to go back and forth in the video?

In both cases it does not crash here. That does not mean the the problem is NOT in the library(seeing the issue with 274...), but maybe other people can also indicate whether they have crashes or not.
Old 14 August 2017, 22:07   #1000
starship

Moving the slider of the window to go back and forth in the video.