English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 March 2004, 15:04   #1
jrom
Wannabe asm coder ;)

rgb->scart cable

Recently I've obtained a couple of RGB->SCART cables. When I tried one with my Amiga 500 and switched on the AV channel on my tv all i got was a black screen?
Are these supposed to work like that or am I doing something wrong or is the cable broken or do they only work with newer amiga's (600/1200)?
Old 12 March 2004, 21:25   #2
thomas

Re: rgb->scart cable

There are a lot of different connectors in the scart plug. The Amiga only fills the RGB ones while most video devices only use composite. If your TV does not understand the RGB signals, the screen will remain black. TVs which display the RGB part of the scart cable usually are additionally labelled as "monitor". Some TVs have multiple scart inputs while only one of them has the RGB part wired.

My 100Hz TV displays the Amiga picture just fine. Even with a 640x512 interlaced mode. The 100Hz technique works just like a scandoubler.
Old 13 March 2004, 19:05   #3
jrom
Wannabe asm coder ;)

Ah oke... thanks for the info... I guess my girlfriends tv is not l33t enough for the amiga
Old 15 March 2004, 22:05   #4
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

most TV's will pickup the RGB signals on a scart plug (or at least they should... or it's not scart!) however some will only switch on if they get a 12V 'signal on' on one of the pins, this can also be used to auto-switch between the amiga and tv... you'll need to check it with other scart connected bits to see how it reacts...
Old 15 March 2004, 22:42   #5
jrom
Wannabe asm coder ;)

well... i have 7 of these bastards so one of em is bound to work... if not then i'll wait till i get a more decent tv
Old 26 March 2004, 22:48   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Check to see if the RGB sense pin (16) is wired up in the SCART, if it isnt then it's simple to activate, I think you can just wire it either to pin 19 on the SCART, or through a resistor to pin 23 on the Amiga connector.

Quote:
however some will only switch on if they get a 12V 'signal on' on one of the pins
Wo, dont do that, Pin 16 needs a 1.0 to 3.0v signal to tell the TV to use RGB. Definately do NOT use 12v

If it is there, then it looks like you TV has a EuroAV connector (SVHS / Composite) rather than an RGB SCART connector and you'll have to wait till you get a new telly.

Cheers

Alex
Thalion Webshrine
http://thalion.amiga.tm

P.s. You have 8 of them? I dont even have one Crappy Moire effect on Composite
Old 26 March 2004, 23:24   #7
jrom
Wannabe asm coder ;)

Quote:
Originally posted by alexh
You have 8 of them? I dont even have one Crappy Moire effect on Composite
Yeah... I bought a A500 with SCSI HD for 15 euro and I also got a big bag of various goodies... including 7 of those cables... So I'll have to dig into the manual some time and look for EuroAV. It's not my tv; it's my girlfriends... my own tv is so old it doesn't even have scart on it
Old 29 March 2004, 19:58   #8
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Anyone got any spare ones of these in the UK? I'm not really sure where the bloody hell I've put mine
Old 08 May 2004, 07:55   #9
Picard

I have problem with scart also.I have Amiga 1200 and brand new Sony 32" KV-32FX68 100hz tv. http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/8...screen-tv.html .I only get a white screen when i connect my amiga with scart to tv
Anybody know what's wrong ?

Old 08 May 2004, 21:26   #10
Syko

Check the SCART skt you're using will accept the RGB signal, as one of them is S-video in not RGB...
Old 09 May 2004, 01:02   #11
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I dont think the Amiga does composite video on it's output and so doesnt work with non RGB SCART sockets. Also you need to have the RGB sense pin connected to switch the TV into RGB mode.

Later

Alex
Old 09 May 2004, 14:56   #12
Syko

A1200 has comp output, and you can use the A500 TV modulator on the A4000 video connector to get a comp output from that which is better than nothing...

The TV that Picard has, has three SCARTs, according to the spec; two are RGB input compatible, and one is S-VHS/Comp input compatible.

So, he'll need to be plugged into one of the RGB compatible sockets, and also using the RGB sense pin, or manualy setting the TV to 'look' at the RGB input - I've used that method with a Sharp TV which could be programmed to use either RGB/S-VHS/Composite input from the SCART
Old 09 May 2004, 15:10   #13
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh
I dont think the Amiga does composite video on it's output and so doesnt work with non RGB SCART sockets. Also you need to have the RGB sense pin connected to switch the TV into RGB mode.

Later

Alex
What exactly did you think the 'COMP' video output did on the A600/A1200 then?
Old 09 May 2004, 16:57   #14
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enverex
What exactly did you think the 'COMP' video output did on the A600/A1200 then?
This thread is about RGB SCART cables. Composite video isnt and never has been a signal on the Amiga video connector, and if you use an Amiga RGB SCART cable and you get no output perhaps
  1. The SCART socket on the TV doesnt support RGB
  2. No RGB select signal

Either of these two situations will generate nothing on the TV because of the lack of composite video coming through the SCART connector.

The solutions are to first try a different SCART socket on your TV, then check pin 16 (RGB enable) and ground to see if there is a voltage (1-3v).

I know you can use an A520, or use the composite video from the A1200/A600 but this thread is about RGB SCART cables.

Cheers

Alex

Last edited by alexh; 09 May 2004 at 17:10.
Old 10 May 2004, 00:24   #15
Syko

Quote:
This thread is about RGB SCART cables.
True, but if he's having probs with getting the RGB to work, using a comp + stereo audio to SCART converter - which is what I use on the CD32/A1200/A4000 cos my TV don't like RGB, will get him up and running, which is the main thing really... but do try checking pin 16 for the RGB sense signal I think Enverex was just pointing out the alternative possiblities if he can't get the RGB link working...
Old 22 December 2004, 12:55   #16
Sid

IMPROVING Picture Quality on Amiga to TV?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pictures via the RF modulator are not that clear ...can see the fuzz on the TV
A decent 21" Toshiba TV, as shown here

I bought a RGB scart lead from eBay for use with the Amiga 500+
Plugged it into where the RF modulator goes......but that is even worse!!

Terrible!
The seller assured me it worked absolutely fine on his Amiga though...
I tried 2 scart leads from different people...

My TV has 2 scart sockets, one of which is RGB. I know that cos I use the PS2 RGB cable on it too.

Surely there should be a better picture?

Somebody else on another forum suggested:

"You are currently using an RF connection to your TV, You need to use a yellow phono cable to improve your picture.

For sound connect 2 phono cable(usually 1 red 1 white) to the outputs on the back of your amiga and connect the other ends to your TV, usually there will be a Yellow,red and white socket altogether.

If you do not want to use the phono to phono connector, go to a Quality AV shop, somewhere like Richer Sounds etc and ask for a phono to Scart cable, make sure they know that you are outputting via Phono and inputting via SCART. "

What have you found to be the best method??
Old 22 December 2004, 15:17   #17
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The best thing *IS* an RGB SCART cable...

Here is the scale Best at the top, worst at the bottom for video output from an A500+

1) True RGB SCART cable
2) A520 Modulator Colour Composite Video output
3) A520 Modulator RF output.

if you are getting a poor picture from an RGB SCART cable then

A) the RGB SCART cable is crap / broken / isnt an RGB one.
B) your TV is crap / broken.
C) you Amiga is broken.

I'm betting it's A?

On an A500(+) the RGB SCART cable plugs directly into the Amiga via the video port. It connects where the A520 Modulator would normally go, totally replacing the A520 (the long plastic thing with the RF output at one end). Sometimes they have 2 Phono connectors which go to left and right audio. RGB will be rock solid and sharp, no fuzziness, no ghosting on a standard CRT.

On an A500(+) the Colour Composite Cable (which is just a phono cable, sometimes yellow) plugs into the A520 modulator (on the side) and connects to the TV either via a SCART -> Phono adapter or if you have Phono Jacks on your TV then connected directly. You can have some fuzziness and ghosting with this method.

I recommend you try a colour composite lead for the time being, you probably have all the cables available you need.

If you've tried two RGB cables from two different people (they were different people?) then you have to wonder if there isnt a fault with the video port on your Amiga

Describe how the RGB is WORSE than RF could you?

Last edited by alexh; 22 December 2004 at 15:25.
Old 22 December 2004, 16:29   #18
Sid

Quote:

If you've tried two RGB cables from two different people (they were different people?) then you have to wonder if there isnt a fault with the video port on your Amiga

Describe how the RGB is WORSE than RF could you?
If my video port was faulty, then surely the picture via the RF Modulator would also be very bad?
Its ok ... with minor fuzziness.

With the RGB Scart cable... its just VERY fuzzy. You can hardly make out the picture. It doesnt stay in focus. I've tried tuning the channels afterwards too, but it doesn't get any better.... its like it needs a major picture refinement/tune up!
Old 22 December 2004, 16:33   #19
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid
I've tried tuning the channels afterwards too, but it doesn't get any better.... its like it needs a major picture refinement/tune up!
What?

With an GRB lead you should be on your VIDEO channel which requires 0 tuning. You can't even tune video channels, so you are doing something wrong here...

You sure you've actually put it on the video channel on your TV? My video channel is called RGB, but it can be called anything from AV to RGB1 to VIDEO3 or whatever, just try each setting.
Old 22 December 2004, 16:58   #20
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

My Thoughts exactly... I am suprised you can get anything at all. You are currently detecting the picture transmitted through some form of crosstalk to the RF input of the telly

The RGB cable's require NO tuning. The cable you bought is a cheap immitation and appears NOT to have the RGB sense pin connected to the right voltage (or at all). Which means you manually have to change to the SCART channel and even then it might not work (depends on how nice your TV is)

If you have more than one they will be called something like AUX1 or EXT1 etc.

To change to the TV channel try to go down from Channel 1, or on the remote there might be a button marked with what looks like a TV with an Arrow coming out
Code:
 -----
|   --|-->
 -----
Press this button and all may be well.... some TV's wont accept RGB UNLESS the RGB sense pin is at the right voltage... and you'll just get a black screen