English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 17 May 2018, 21:14   #21
LeCaravage

Super Frog suffers from the same deficiency found in Mr Nutz : Gameplay and maps badly designed to play like Sonic.

I love Andrew Braybrook
My vote goes to Fire & Ice.
Old 17 May 2018, 22:01   #22
donnie

super frog is only superficially like sonic. They have very little in common. I am not a fan of sonic nor its copies. Super frog is a simple and fun platformer. The object is exploration and traditional platforming, not zipping through the levels as fast as possible. It is like a lot of euro platformer where you collect things to advance. But at least in superfrog you collect coins, which there are an abundance of, so you dont have to find them all, or the same 5 specific trinkets. Many levels allow you to take different routes and collect different coins.

Honestly think super frog is a simple but balanced game. And the graphics are colourful and clean. And not one of those games where 68 of the 70 colors on screen are copper.

I never really played fire and ice. Just the fact that it starts with an slippery ice level..

so super frog for me.
Old 17 May 2018, 22:07   #23
Nobby_UK

They are both good games, but one of my go to games is SuperFrog.

So I have to vote for SUPERFROG.
Old 17 May 2018, 22:21   #24
-Acid-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
One of the Amiga's most overrated titles.
Gameplay is far from perfect, the character is uncontrollable, and level design is poor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothers View Post
I can't be the only person who thinks Superfrog is an awful game with terrible controls? I really don't understand the admiration it has. Fire and Ice vote from me!

Completely agree here, Superfrog is the most over rated dog of a game on the Amiga in my opinion. Just playing it gives me a head ache due to the character movement having no dead zone so as soon as you move so does the entire screen. Up to jump is bad enough but then the previous problem kicks in and you cannot see what you are going to land on. When people used to compare it to Mario or Sonic or Plok it was just an embarrassment.
Old 17 May 2018, 22:32   #25
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
The object is exploration and traditional platforming, not zipping through the levels as fast as possible.
That's exactly the problem.

The level layout is made for exploration like any good euro platformer, sure.
But the stupid damn character moves TOO FAST no matter what you do. It's uncontrollable and doesn't make you want to explore! It's not even restrained (Sonic takes a while to run fast and it doesn't even run this fast normally!), it feels like trying to traverse a go kart circuit with a Ferrari Testarossa!

It doesn't work.
Old 17 May 2018, 22:53   #26
jotd
This cat is no more

Superfrog has Eric Schwartz intro, very big maps, excellent gfx sound & speed & I completed it back in the days (just completed last level last year)

But it is also boring sometimes... Well, I still love it, with the Project-F level and all... Great game, not too hard, unlike other platformers.

BUT, Fire & Ice (CD32!!) is graphically impressive. One of the most beautiful platformers on the amiga. Hard as nails if you ask me, but I want to play it more. Since I didn't play it too much, I'd say I prefer that one right now. The inertia of the character annoys me, that said...

My kids love both BTW For me it's a tie.
Old 18 May 2018, 10:08   #27
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Superfrog for me. While Fire and Ice features much more advanced code I never really played it much. I completed Superfrog several times back when it was released and it always was a lot of fun. Simple and cute platformer.
Old 18 May 2018, 10:44   #28
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Never really liked Fire & Ice for some reason. Never really understood what all the fuss was about. When I was a wee lad, platform games were my favourite and even then Fire & Ice didn't quite captivate me. Superfrog came some time later and was aesthetically better but the gameplay wasn't up to par with the best platformers I had played before. In terms of sheer playability, even some NES platformers were better. The Amiga had very few world-class platform games - to be bluntly honest - and neither Fire & Ice or Superfrog were on that restricted list, in my very humble opinion.

So between two somewhat lacklustre games, I'd have to choose the one that gave me better feelings and made me play it longer. In this case, it was Superfrog. For a time, it did seem like one of the best Amiga platformers, since it looked so good and had nice scrolling, but the playability was a bit lacking compared with the really great platformers that populated other systems (mainly the damn Japanese. They made - hands down - the best platformers, SHMUPs and RPGs at that time).

tl;dr version: Superfrog.
Old 18 May 2018, 14:52   #29
DaveTaylor

Both are excellent games.

"Fire and Ice" contains great music. Graphics are very detailed.
"Superfrog" is more cute. (I know because my girlfriend likes it.)

But I never get into "Fire and Ice", played it only for a short time.
I dont know exactly why, but "Superfrog" I played for a long time.

My winner: "Superfrog".
Old 18 May 2018, 15:00   #30
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

The "problem" with Fire and Ice (besides the jerky scrolling) is the mediocre first world. After the Ice world the game really gets better. I like Super Frog too, but i think Fire and Ice is the better game after all.
Old 18 May 2018, 15:33   #31
Mrz
Banned

I have to say that the music in both games is amazing,

by the best AMiga musicians => jason page and allister brimble

I will not vote because I like both games enough

please note the CD32 version of "Fire and ice" is called "Fire+ICE "and is very enhanced

more colors, parallax and CD music
Old 18 May 2018, 15:44   #32
Stejjie

Mainly on the basis of which one I'm likely to load up, it would have to be Superfrog. Unlike others here, I don't find it uncontrollable at all, nor does the speed detract from the exploration, platforming and enemy-killing (at least, not for me). Also, since I don't have the instruction manuals for either, I find Superfrog just a little bit easier to pick up and play than Fire & Ice.
Old 18 May 2018, 18:42   #33
NorthWay

Fire and Ice
Old 18 May 2018, 19:30   #34
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

James Pond 2: Codename Robocod.

-

I must say I don't think neither game is really that great. Superfrog is overrated like so many Team 17 games. (Project-X anyone?). I don't think either of them are bad games, but there are better games on the genre for the system.

If I had to choose one, I'd go for Superfrog, just because its easier to get into. I don't think Superfrog is "uncontrollable" as it has been said, though its weird how the frog "slow downs" when you jump from running... though it makes easier to control it. But yeah, it feels like level design was just thrown in the game with no thought or sense of flow (curiously, something I said about Project-X very recently, both games made by the same team on Team 17)

James Pond 2 is better than both.
Old 18 May 2018, 19:52   #35
th4t1guy

Everything Shatterhand said...

Although I had a lot of fun playing Superfrog, my biggest gripe with it was the NTSC version was just rebranded PAL. I don't think they did ANY conversion for it.

Last edited by th4t1guy; 18 May 2018 at 20:15.
Old 18 May 2018, 20:03   #36
Gzegzolka

Hard question there was a time when I could play Superfrog over and over again, and now I'm feed up with it, it is great game, but right now I prefer bit more Fire and Ice on CD32. I love that underwater levels, for some reason they are very relaxing to play, while normally I hate underwater levels in games.
Old 18 May 2018, 21:39   #37
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by th4t1guy View Post
my biggest gripe with it was the NTSC version was just rebranded PAL
lol ntsc
Old 18 May 2018, 21:54   #38
th4t1guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
lol ntsc
Yes, dealing with PAL is a nightmare here in the US. It still is.
I mainly bought NTSC versions of games, although a few companies would do no conversion but still brand the disks that way.

I couldn't play any PAL games on my a500 at the time. When I finally got an a4000, I had to run a degrader in addition to switching to PAL. It's all a giant mess.
Old 18 May 2018, 21:54   #39
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I don't have much love for Superfrog, although it has nice cutesy visuals and music. Fire & Ice gets my vote.
Old 18 May 2018, 22:43   #40
Allen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
super frog is only superficially like sonic. They have very little in common. I am not a fan of sonic nor its copies. Super frog is a simple and fun platformer. The object is exploration and traditional platforming, not zipping through the levels as fast as possible. It is like a lot of euro platformer where you collect things to advance. But at least in superfrog you collect coins, which there are an abundance of, so you dont have to find them all, or the same 5 specific trinkets. Many levels allow you to take different routes and collect different coins.

Honestly think super frog is a simple but balanced game. And the graphics are colourful and clean. And not one of those games where 68 of the 70 colors on screen are copper.

I never really played fire and ice. Just the fact that it starts with an slippery ice level..

so super frog for me.

Me and my wife played superfrog a lot, she got a much further than me though and without any cheating. Fire and ice didn't do it for either of us and we gave up on it due to getting bored, maybe it was better further on but we never bothered with it as there were so many other games to amuse us at the time.